It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little Steam News
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:00 pm 

The Georgia Museum of Agriculture at Tifton, Georgia has an 0-4-0 by Vulcan Iron Works C/N 22609 in 1917 in operation on weekends. She was always an industrial locomotive. She got a new boiler in about 2001. I have never heard of her on this website.

Another 0-4-0 from H.K Porter in 1923, C/N 6932 is planned for a later restoration. This one is Hope Natural Gas #3, She was owned for a short time by Pine Creek Railroad as #3. Then Woodward Museum at Cooperstown, New York. An earlier name for this outdoor museum was Agrirama.

The narrow gauge locomotive is simply lettered Vulcan #5; and she is the only narrow gauge steam operation in Georgia, as far as I know. They also have a steam powered saw mill and cotton gin.

Ted Miles, narrow gauge fan

Post subject: Re: A little Steam News
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:23 pm 

ted66 wrote:
The Georgia Museum of Agriculture at Tifton, Georgia has an 0-4-0 by Vulcan Iron Works C/N 22609 in 1917 in operation on weekends. She was always an industrial locomotive. She got a new boiler in about 2001. I have never heard of her on this website.

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocom ... splay=1605

Another 0-4-0 from H.K Porter in 1923, C/N 6932 is planned for a later restoration. This one is Hope Natural Gas #3, She was owned for a short time by Pine Creek Railroad as #3. Then Woodward Museum at Cooperstown, New York. An earlier name for this outdoor museum was Agrirama.

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocom ... splay=1685

The narrow gauge locomotive is simply lettered Vulcan #5; and she is the only narrow gauge steam operation in Georgia, as far as I know. They also have a steam powered saw mill and cotton gin.

Ted Miles, narrow gauge fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 pm 

I’m not sure why this is “news” as I’ve visited several times over the years but I’ll chime in and say yes it’s a great place to visit. The restored train station was moved from Montezuma Georgia and it was a pre-fab building that was ordered from a sears catalog!

This is a great historic village to visit. Working farm with animals, several old buildings from the state like a general store etc. very friendly staff members and volunteers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 pm 

That's the only place where I had to get out and push while the wheels were slipping......

The boiler has slots instead of holes at the saddle connection at the advise of a boilermaker from a very small New England state to allow for expansion.

The chilled iron layer was turned off the wheels during reprofiling, and very soon needed reprofiling again.

It's a very unusual place with unique attributes.