It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brill and Service Motor Truck Company
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:32 pm 

Doing some research on self-propelled gas cars of the 1920s.

I've been a number of cars built by Service Motor Truck Company of Wabash, IL that also list Brill. I've been told that Service Motor Truck was a Brill subsidiary and other info I have seems to indicate Brill was the contract body builder while SMT installed the power train.

Anyone know any info on this? I did several internet searches but came up with little clarifying info.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Brill and Service Motor Truck Company
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:11 pm 

A good source would probably be the book Interurbans Without Wires: The rail motorcar in the United States by Edmund Keilty and published by Interurbans Press in 1979.

My copy is boxed up, otherwise I'd have checked it. As I recall Keilty lists all the known builders with a short history of each, etc.

There were two follow up books with railroad rosters:
Doodlebug Country: The Rail Motorcar on the Class 1 Railroads of the United States and
The Short Line Doodlebug Galloping Geese and Other Railcritters

Post subject: Re: Brill and Service Motor Truck Company
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 pm 

You mean Wabash IN:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/254609-se ... h-indiana/

"Service Motor Trucks were an assembled truck built in Wabash, IN. Service merged with other truck company in Lima Ohio and moved manufacturing (likely parts) to Relay, Garford, & Commerce in Lima Ohio about 1926. The Service factory sat empty then in 1936 General Tire and Rubber Co occupied factory, I worked at that factory for about 20 years and it closed in 2007 as GenCorp Automotive, factory was razed a few years ago. Appreciate any info on this service truck or any other solid rubber wood spoke wheels. Wabash County museum has a restored Service truck on display and very good library of information."