It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: West Coast Special Heisler; when and where come the term
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:56 pm 

I want to thank you Brian for sharing this information regarding Heisler gearing. I'd long been of the mind that the 90 ton West Coast Sp. had to have had a bit lower gearing to have claimed that large a jump in t.e.than the 85 ton model, but had no resources to prove same. Your work & measurement is of great help.[/quote]

You are very welcome, Tom.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:40 pm 

Reality Check!! While looking for something else I found an account of Mount Rainer Scenic Heisler #91 running from Tacoma to Seattle. On May 14, 1982 John Henderson and I chased #91 with three heavy weight coaches, an open car and a UP caboose between Sumner and Auburn at between 25 and 30 MPH. Not at 35 to 40 as I stated earlier. Just setting the record straight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:44 pm 

John T wrote:
Reality Check!! While looking for something else I found an account of Mount Rainer Scenic Heisler #91 running from Tacoma to Seattle. On May 14, 1982 John Henderson and I chased #91 with three heavy weight coaches, an open car and a UP caboose between Sumner and Auburn at between 25 and 30 MPH. Not at 35 to 40 as I stated earlier. Just setting the record straight.

Thanks John. That makes a lot more sense. I bet that was still quite the spectacle to see.

If I can add the following.......there are a lot of 44" drivered short line and logging rod locomotives around, and a lot of them have run. I have been on a few and can say with certainty that the long-quoted axiom that the driver diameter equals maximum speed has little value. Around 25 mph and you are all done unless you wish to damage the machine. It is pretty close when you get up around 63". It then improves as the diameter continues to increase. Example, 73" drivered SP Mountains were good for the railroad max of 79 mph and bested this many times when the need required. 80" drivered ATSF engines were allowed 100 mph per the timetable in some places.

Now, take a 40' drivered geared locomotive that on paper, cuts that speed essentially in half. Heisler did find a niche and some outfits went looking for used ones when they came up for sale. Kosmos Tbr. of WA was one who liked that machine.

The Heisler was a good road engine. The Climax was best when it stayed in the yard. The Shay usually did fine for what it was designed for, pulling tonnage around sharp curves and up grades at reasonable speeds. Just my thoughts.