It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Durango and Silverton not allowed to fix their own bridge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:36 am 

As crazy as it sounds, the D&S cannot fix their washed out bridge until they have a plan in place and it’s approved by the forestry service.
https://durangoherald.com/articles/3317 ... dge-repair

Post subject: Re: Durango and Silverton not allowed to fix their own bridg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 pm 

This is just a bad overreach by the Forest Service. I don’t think they have any right telling the D&S guys what to do here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:43 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
This is just a bad overreach by the Forest Service. I don’t think they have any right telling the D&S guys what to do here.

Eh.. D&S hasn’t exactly done the Forest Service any favors lately. Besides... does Silverton even wantvthe train right now? They weren’t allowing tourists in last I heard but everything changes from day to day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm 

Breathe. This is SOP for roadway projects these days, no matter where one is ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:14 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:
Besides... does Silverton even wantvthe train right now? They weren’t allowing tourists in last I heard but everything changes from day to day.

...yes.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/326293

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:41 pm 

I mean, even if the D&S is a bit iffy with the forest service, it’s still an overreach, considering the line the D&S runs on is over 20 years older than the Forest Service itself, and it doesn’t sound like they’ve had to go to them for plans before. I don’t understand much legal jargon, but if it’s what I think it is, it’s quite wrong.

And of course Silverton wants the train. Hell that’s how Silverton still exists. The only people who don’t want the train are transplants now living in Durango that don’t recognize the immense economic benefit it gives to the entire region.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm 

Ah ok. I figured the towns were keeping the train out since they are only running the short trips right now. I’m not sure if there is any hope for a fall season but if there is, I hope the bridge can be fixed by then.

I’m just kicking myself for not making D&S a priority last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
And of course Silverton wants the train. Hell that’s how Silverton still exists. The only people who don’t want the train are transplants now living in Durango that don’t recognize the immense economic benefit it gives to the entire region.

Silverton was keeping all non-residents out of the town even after the national park reopened, that’s what I was referring to. If they have opened up again (which it looks like they have) that is another case.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:20 pm 

I'm surprised that the D&S has not gotten the FRA to go to bat for them. Don't think that the forest service has jurisdiction over the RR.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:20 pm 

Just viewing from across the US, makes me wonder the following: If everything is on the up and up on both sides.

Then the bridge plan needed by the USFS might be related to flood control. If the old bridge didn't have enough flow area, they might might say the design needs to change to allow more debris to flow under the bridge, as flooding would effect the forest upstream, and the high volume water flow after the washout would effect the area down stream.

With the fire control effort, did the contractor cut trees beyond the 100' RoW, or remove an endangered/protected species? Could also be related to make sure the work doesn't effect a protected animal/plant.

Just wondering,,,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:40 pm 

hamster wrote:
I'm surprised that the D&S has not gotten the FRA to go to bat for them. Don't think that the forest service has jurisdiction over the RR.

Forest Service doesn't have jurisdiction over the railroad, but they do have jurisdiction over the creek that the railroad crosses. That said, they do have to approve the work proposed to be done since it will affect the flow of the creek. Evidently, the bridge was insufficient to meet the flow of water and debris on the day the washout occurred. FRA doesn't have a dog in this fight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:43 pm 

What would happen if the RR simply ignored the order about halting repair of the bridge and went ahead against the order and fixed the bridge then ask for forgiveness later?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:02 pm 

How did that work for them when they just started clearing trees? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:13 pm 

Fair!
I just can't imagine BNSF putting up with this if it was a bridge on their transcon etc. I feel like it'd be a "ask for forgiveness later" situation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:22 pm 

CA1 wrote:
Fair!
I just can't imagine BNSF putting up with this if it was a bridge on their transcon etc. I feel like it'd be a "ask for forgiveness later" situation

If I were BNSF or UP, I’d be watching this unfold and perhaps even going to bat for them.