It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Last Call For New River Scenic RS3 & Coaches in Tenn.??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:32 am 

SR6900 wrote:
I visited the equipment a few months ago, the decay is incredible. Besides getting completely trashed by the daily loads of visitors to the train due to its viral sensation (the “Abandoned Tennessee” Facebook group alone sees multiple new posts daily from people with their visit that day on this equipment) recently and accessibility from a very popular ATV riding area. Wildlife has moved in too. Not sure what was living in the a/c system in the combine, but I heard something up there and it’s moved plenty of foliage through the ventilation ducts. The concrete floor subfloor is falling out, many holes are forming there. All electrical cabinets have been stripped for copper in the locomotive and both cars. The commuter car is pretty solid still. It’s all fixable, but add to the growing costs associated with removal. Even just a few years ago, the equipment looked serviceable, but ever since a YouTuber with a semi decent following (Carpetbagger) posted a video on it, it became viral and got trashed quick in the time following with all the visitors!

The combination car is now 73 years-old and, to the best of my knowledge, it never went through a complete rebuild in it's service life. (I'm sure that Ted and Sally lovingly cared for it as they did their other rolling stock) From what you describe, and from the video evidence that is available the condition is about average for a car stored unattended in the Northeast/Midwest/Mid-Atlantic. Time does take its toll, especially when freeze-thaw cycles and moisture accumulation are left unchecked.

The closest comparison for restoration that I can think of is the Norfolk & Western combination car 1506. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspicture.aspx?id=380516

The restoration included a new concrete and linoleum flooring, some new side sheets, new windows, refurbished seats, wheelchair lift, and a genset powering AC and baseboard heating.

RJ Corman, as a company has a reputation for taking on challenging projects that demonstrates their enterprising can-do spirit. They certainly have the technical means to move this rolling stock, and I think they cases I made earlier connects preservation with larger social goals. RJ Corman is also no stranger to railroad preservation, operating what I think is the longest running dinner train in the US.

Post subject: Re: Last Call For New River Scenic RS3 & Coaches in Tenn.??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:29 am 

Corman of 15 years ago is not Corman today.

Remember they already have the 'old Smoky' 2-10-2 from China, and had basically slated that for display in Midway with no intention of operating it again. As of March 2020, it was donated to Kentucky Steam Heritage, with a release that at least hints that they might allow it to be operated. They have cooperated with the locomotive moves over their lines.

Yes, the Bardstown dinner train is still running, but the Lexington one was closed down following a dispute over property ownership in Lexington that led to the 'glass house' being dismantled.

There's at least some sympathy remaining in there, but don't look for them to spend any money on any overt preservation moves. The only tongue-in-cheek 'preservation' I've seen is taking the one genset and parking it as a red billboard outside of Conway, SC right beside the road.