It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Monticello Railway Museum / Southern 2-8-0 #401
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:40 am 

Very interesting how this whole topic got thrown onto a side track.

This topic was started to discuss the Monticello Railway Museum (which I do firmly believe is a place everyone who enjoys the history of railroading should visit) and the Southern 2-8-0 #401 (which I'm hoping will be out of her 1472 SDI in time to return to service in 2021). She is such a gorgeous locomotive, and any steam enthusiast should go there to see her when she is operational again.

Has anyone who frequents this site been to MRM? If so, what did you think of it? Did you see/ride behind #401? If you did, what are your thoughts of her?

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:26 am 

Not yet! The few times I’ve been able to visit when steam is running I had to pick between Monticello and IRM... and IRM has always won.

I’ve heard all great things about the museum and operation, and as I mentioned when it started the side track, I’m a particular fan of operating Southern locomotives as I’ve spent quite some time riding and chasing 630, 4501, and 154.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:28 pm 

I have been a life member at MRM since they began in the late 60s. This is fine organization which has done a wonderful job of re-creating the atomosphere of railroading in the late 50/60s. They own their own track (8 miles)a portion of a former IC branch which connects with NS at Monticello, Il , has a wye at both ends, plus a newly acquired turntable awaiting installation at the museum which is about half in between.

Not only do they have beautiful, restored equipment they also have a great, well maintained, property with plenty of storage barns and facilities. But the best part is how they have managed, to stay safe, financially, sound, avoid acquiring too much equipment, be on the prowl for ways to earn additional revenue, gather new and younger members and persue all this in a quiet, country manner.

This truly is a fine museum, worth a visit and ride on their weekend trains when operating (post Cov19 virus). As has been said by many in the preservation industry: this is one of best kept secrets in railroad museums."

Exprail

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 pm 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
Very interesting how this whole topic got thrown onto a side track.

Has anyone who frequents this site been to MRM? If so, what did you think of it? Did you see/ride behind #401? If you did, what are your thoughts of her?

Chris -

Sorry we got a bit sidetracked. That happens at times with threads. The question about M&NF 12 being Southern 1643 or quite possibly Southern 1642 are legitimate questions I think. However, since the thread WAS started about number 401, I can say that yes, she is a wonderful looking engine. And to make up for sidetracking the thread, I've included my favorite shot of the Consolidation.

Les

Attachments:
MRM Railroad Days September 2015 017.JPG
MRM Railroad Days September 2015 017.JPG [ 342.63 KiB | Viewed 5379 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:46 pm 

Nice pix, Les.

It nicely sums up what MRM is all about.

Thanks,

Exprail

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 pm 

Wonderful track! Has there been much rebuilding of that over the years? What rail size is used?

(yes, I hijacked the thread again, sorry)

And that 401 is a really fine-looking steam locomotive, very classic.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:59 am 

Howard P. wrote:
Wonderful track! Has there been much rebuilding of that over the years? What rail size is used?

(yes, I hijacked the thread again, sorry)

And that 401 is a really fine-looking steam locomotive, very classic.

Howard P.

Howard -

MRM started out with the property at their museum site (Nelson's Crossing) and the old Illinois Terminal right-of-way from there to White Heath (about 3 miles). Initial operations were over that museum laid track. Then the paralleling Illinois Central branch from White Heath to Nelson's Crossing and on into Monticello itself (also about 3 miles) was abandoned and the museum purchased it. Although the track was in place, it had been subject to deferred maintenance. The museum rehabbed the track from the museum into Monticello, and that became their main opus of operations. Although the track from the museum to White Heath was in place, it was not in good enough condition for trains, and was limited to motor car operations. The track on the old IT r-o-w, mostly became storage track (except of at Nelson's Crossing itself). Through the years, the museum has upgraded the old ICRR track out to White Heath and now the museum can run both ways, providing storage cars are not in the way. I'm not a member at MRM, but have always been impressed with their facilities and their operations. If I have the track scenario wrong, I trust someone from the museum will correct me.

Les

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 am 

I really consider Monticello Railway Museum a gem, and I love going there (especially when #401 is on the head-end).

exprail wrote:
"As has been said by many in the preservation industry: this is one of best kept secrets in railroad museums."

Exprail

I don't think I could say it much better.

Here are 2 videos of when MRM had a photo charter in 2018. It looks absolutely stunning, and I wish I could have attended it. Here's hoping it isn't their last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnIgmxV9Cpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuS1dkzh1o8

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:34 am 

Wow. MRM gets SO many things right. Where to begin...
1. Sound business plan that has allowed them to restore and maintain not only the rolling stock but the physical plant.
2. Midwest granger railroading with a period steam powered mixed train.
3. A focus on not only preserving passenger but steam era freight rolling stock.
4. Nicely maintained track, bridges and structures that allow for these period scenes to be repeated over and over and over again.

Now that I'm back in the Midwest, I'm going to make this a priority to visit here once 401 is once again back in operation. Passed by MRM back in 1994 or so on my way to a friend's wedding in Bluffs, IL. ITM's NKP 587 was there at the time getting some contract repair work as I recall.

Thanks everyone for sharing the updates and videos.

JD, nice update on the connection of M&NF 12 to its SRR heritage as well.

Can someone remind me of who built the brand new boiler on the 401? It's been a few years since I remember reading about it and the vendor escapes me. I don't think it was Continental...

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 pm 

Rob Gardner wrote:
Can someone remind me of who built the brand new boiler on the 401? It's been a few years since I remember reading about it and the vendor escapes me. I don't think it was Continental...

Rob Gardner

#401's new boiler (Serial #: CR1991) was built by Continental Fabricators in St. Louis, MO in May 2005.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:55 pm 

Does anyone know if this locomotive will be running this summer?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:21 pm 

401 is being re-assembled now and after being certified should be operating sometime this spring or summer.

Exprail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:32 am 

exprail wrote:
401 is being re-assembled now and after being certified should be operating sometime this spring or summer.

Exprail

Great - thanks!

Do you know if it will still only operate one weekend a year? I'm curious why it was ran so little?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:45 pm 

Since being placed back in service in 2010, Monticello has operated this iconic (sorry linkthebutler, couldn't resist!) 1907 Southern class H4 2-8-0 for one weekend per month, May through October. This year is planned to be the same, check our website, mrym.org, for specific dates and any changes that may occur.

Kent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:52 pm 

Ah ok thanks for the correction!