It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steam (returning/being restored/being rebuilt) in 2020
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:10 am 

So, here's where everything stood in wrapping up this year.

So, let's first do a recap of the steam locomotives returned to operation in 2019.

- Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy #4014 returned to operation in time for the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad on May 10th, 2019 (also marking the first time a Big Boy has moved under his own power in ~60 years), and he then toured the Upper Midwest and the Southwest. “THE KING OF STEAM” HAS RETURNED!

- Middle Fork 3-truck Climax #9 had her restoration completed and was operational in 2019. She has joined Cass' numerous Shays and Heisler. Way to go, Cass & D&GVR!

- Norfolk & Western 4-8-0 #475 started, and finished, her 1472 SDI. She returned to service in the fall, and N&W 4-8-4 #611 joined in the festivities of #475 coming out of her 1472 SDI. Nicely done, Strasburg! [Thanks Kelly Anderson]

- Jones and Laughlin Steel (narrow-gauge) 0-4-0T #58 has been successfully rebuilt and operated multiple times last year. Well done, guys! You should be very proud. [Thanks Rick Rowlands]

- Sierra Railway 2-8-0 #28 has returned to service at Railtown 1897. Congratulations, guys! Job well done. [Thanks o484]

- Conway Scenic 0-6-0 #7470 has been returned to service, and the Conway Scenic Railroad is considering the idea of also restoring Maine Central 2-8-0 #501 in the not-so-distant future. [Thanks steamchaser]

- Denver & Rio Grande 4-6-0 #168 was fully restored to operational condition at the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad shops in Antonito, and she had test runs to show she's up and running. Great job, C&TS! [Thanks o anderson]

- Georgetown Loop 2-8-0 #40 has returned to service in Silver Plume. [Thanks Tails]

- Duluth & Northeastern 2-8-0 #28 returned to service again after having some extensive running gear work (and a little 'facelift'), and she even got to greet "The King of the Rails" when he visited on his tour through the Upper Midwest. [Thanks The Fireman]

- White Pass & Yukon 2-8-2 #73 was successfully restored back to operation and has already made multiple successful runs. Congratulations, WP&Y! I'm glad she's up and running again.

- While not an operational restoration, the Age of Steam Roundhouse achieved what many considered almost impossible and acquired Bessemer & Lake Erie 2-10-4 #643. The locomotive is in the process of being moved to the roundhouse, and the locomotive will be cosmetically restored.

Now, let’s recap what was accomplished, what was worked on, and what was in 2020.

- Probably some of the biggest news in 2020, the East Broad Top Railroad was purchased and will be brought back into service. In addition, #14 & #16 are being worked on and will be returned to operation. Many of us never thought EBT would get a third chance, and I know we’re all so happy to be wrong about that. Congratulations all around! I can’t wait to see the place when everything is up and running.

- In a surprising move, the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad showed us Chesapeake & Ohio 2-6-6-2 #1309 fully steamed up, and she moved under her own power for the first time in over 60 years. Congratulations, WMSR! You succeeded and got #1309 running again. You should be very proud of yourselves. Hopefully, the test runs will go well, and “Maryland Thunder” will be pulling passengers very soon.

- Denver & Rio Grande Western (Durango & Silverton) 2-8-2 #493 was returned to service, and the D&S crews made several successful runs. [Thanks o484]

- Florida East Coast 4-6-2 #148 was successfully restored to operation, and she made multiple successful runs. It is amazing that U.S. Sugar has been able to do what most people had written off. Congratulations, U.S. Sugar! I can’t wait to see #148 hopefully pulling trains again soon.

- Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. 2-6-6-2T No. 108 was been restored at the Black Hills Central Railroad. I can't wait to see her in action once tourist operations can start.

- Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe 4-8-4 #2926 is on the verge of being fully restored and operable. She will be quite a sight when she's finished up and fired up.

- Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe 4-8-4 #3751 is finishing up her rebuild, and she should be operable very soon.

- Boston & Maine 4-6-2 #3713 is still being restored at Steamtown, and, with some luck, we will see her run under her own power in the not-so-distant future. I know she will look really nice, but, personally, I hope they install the "earmuffs" (small smoke deflectors) on her again at some point.

- Reading 4-8-4 #2100 is steadily getting closer and closer to finishing up her restoration, and what a sight she will be. It will be a truly wonderful day to see her in her former glory again.

- Reading 4-8-4 #2102 has had her restoration proceeding very nicely (and mostly under the radar), and it appears that she might be operable early next year.

- With J. Neils Lumber Company 3-truck Shay #5 now up and running, and Frisco 2-10-0 #1630 still operating well, Union Pacific 2-8-0 #428 is now getting some more focused attention on her restoration. I think this ol' girl has been very patient, and, now, she's going to be getting a lot of TLC.

- Middletown & Hummelstown is continuing to restore CN 2-6-0 #91 as time and finances permit. It will be nice to see her up and running again.

- Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis 4-8-4 #576 is currently being restored to operation, and the NSPS has been good, steady progress with #576’s restoration. I'm so glad that things are going so right for her, and what a beauty she will be when she's finished.

- Alaska Railroad 2-8-0 #557 is moving even closer towards operation. Best of luck, guys, and keep going strong.

- Maine Central 4-6-2 #470 is continuing to move along very nicely with her restoration. I can't even imagine how beautiful she will be once she is up and running.

- Grand Trunk Western 2-8-2 #4070 continues to move along with her restoration. While she is still quite a ways from being finished, here's hoping it won't be too long before she's running down the rails again.

- It was announced on New Year's Day 2019 that Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern 0-6-0T #65 was taken into the shop, and it appears that she is going to be restored back to operation. Congratulations, WK&S! I'm so glad you're bringing her back to steam, and I hope her restoration goes by as smoothly as possible.

- St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) 4-8-4 #819 is being discussed as being restored (VERY slowly) to operation as time, money, and volunteers allow. I do hope she is able to get up and running again in the future.

- Union Pacific (Heber Valley Railroad) 2-8-0 #618 is still moving along steadily with her restoration (as best as we know) as resources are available, and the plan, depending on how things go, is that she could be operational in the near future. [Thanks burbri45 & xboxtravis7992]

- Great Western 2-8-0 #75 has been down for quite some time, but, like UP #618, she is slowly, but surely, undergoing a very through rebuild. Hopefully, it won't be too long in the future before we see her under her own power again. [Thanks xboxtravis7992]

- Denver & Rio Grande Western 2-8-0 #223 has been in restoration for 20 years now. Her tender is basically complete (minus some miscellaneous components) and painted. At this point, the emphasis of the work will be on the locomotive (with the drivers & axles being the main goal for this year). Unfortunately, in 2019, the restoration crew was locked out from where the locomotive is housed, and restoration work has been brought to a stop. Although the situation doesn't look good at this time, here's hoping things can be resolved and restoration can resume. [Thanks burbri45 & xboxtravis7992]

- Chicago & North Western 4-6-0 #1385 has had steady work done on her restoration throughout the year. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before she's fired up once again. [Thanks John Risley]

- Pennsylvania 4-4-4-4 #5550 is still steadily being constructed. She is well over 30% complete. [Thanks NS6770fan]

- US Army/Navy S100 0-6-0T #5002 began her restoration at the shop of Brett Goertemoeller, owner of BMG Railroad Contractors, LLC. They made fast progress early (including performing the ultrasound), and it looks like it might not take too long before she’s running again if things continue at this pace. [Thanks airforcerail]

- New Hope Valley 0-4-0T #17 is very close to having her restoration finished and should return to service in the near future after being out of service for ~2 years while undergoing its mandated FRA work. [Thanks Evan]

- Northern Pacific 0-6-0 #924 was successfully fired up at the Northwest Railway Museum, and she even managed to pull a few trains this year. Here's hoping we see more about her in the new year. [Thanks o anderson]

- Western Pacific 0-6-0 #165 has its tender completed, and the boiler repairs are getting close to being completed at the Portola Railway Museum. [Thanks o anderson]

- Rio Grande Southern 4-6-0 #20 was successfully rebuilt, reassembled, and she operated this year. Excellent job to all who played a role in her return to operation. You did a magnificent job. [Thanks o anderson]

- Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington 0-4-4T #10's new boiler should be completed and installed in the near future. [Thanks elecuyer]

- Northern Pacific 4-6-0 #1364 has also been receiving some work up at Toppenish, Washington. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Santa Maria Valley 2-8-2 #21 appears (based off of their website) to be progressing along nicely in her restoration in Astoria, Oregon. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- U. S. Army / Virginia Blue Ridge Ry. / Morris County Central Railroad 0-6-0 #4039 (VBR #5) is also making progress. The new boiler is almost completed over in Colorado, and the boiler tubes were shipped from Whippany to Colorado in 2019. The original plans were to install them once the boiler was shipped to Whippany and mounted on the frame, but that changed in 2018. A new cab has been constructed, and the tender has been completely rebuilt, along with all the appliances. Once the new (welded) boiler is mounted, the final assembly can take place. [Thanks Al Holleuffer] (P.S. How have things been? I haven't heard from you in a few years.)

- Chicago & North Western 4-6-0 #175 has already begun to receive some serious work from SRI. She will be a very nice addition for them when all is said and done. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- White Pass & Yukon 2-8-0 #69 might also be running in the near future (for the first time since 2013). [Thanks JohnHillier]

- San Antonio & Aransas Pass 4-4-0 #60 is about ready to have its boiler ultrasounded, and, apparently, G&O owner Pete Clausen wants them to get started on Washington & Lincolnton #203 as well. [Thanks southern154]

- Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad 2-6-0 #5 entered its third year of restoration in Nevada City, CA. The 1960 "Quickfire" Dixon boiler installed by Universal Studios will be replaced with a replica boiler (and closer to the original) that was built for a sister Baldwin 2-6-0 locomotive, "Glenbrook." The Carson & Tahoe Flume & Lumber locomotive in Carson City has been restored with modern repairs to its existing boiler. [Thanks o anderson]

- Little River Railroad 4-6-2 #110 had her 1472-day rebuild finished, and she was able to pull the Christmas trains in December. Well done everyone. You did a great job getting her finished up and running again. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- US Army #4023 / Virginia Blue Ridge #9 / New Hope and Ivyland 0-6-0 #9 / SMS #9 is still undergoing an extensive operational restoration at the SMS shops in Bridgeport, NJ. That being said, she passed her hydro earlier this year. Hopefully, it won't be much longer before we see her under power again. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Oregon Railroad & Navigation 4-6-2 #197 is slowly, but steadily, undergoing a lengthy operational restoration by a group named the "Friends of the OR&N 197". [Thanks Mgoldman]

- White Pass & Yukon 2-8-0 #61 is an outside-frame locomotive that once was in the Skagway River as rip-rap. Stathi Pappas, the current owner, and his Stockton Locomotive Works are slowly working on this project as time is available. A lot of work has been done on this locomotive, and I can't wait to see how good she will look when she's finished and operating again. It’s great to see another locomotive getting yet another chance at life. [Thanks Brian Norden]

- The Virginia & Truckee 2-6-0 “Lyon” is a full size standard gauge wood burning replica steam locomotive being built by the Mason City & Clear Lake Electric Railroad Historical Society. The locomotive was donated (earlier this year) to the Nevada State RR Museum at Carson City, NV for completion. I can only imagine how wonderful she will look when she is finished. [Thanks Mgoldman & Alexander D. Mitchell IV]

- Southern Pacific 2-8-2 #786 continues to make slow, but steady, progress in her restoration to service. The Strasburg shop has also done some past work for the group. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Nevada Northern 2-8-0 #81 continues to have work done, and donations for her restoration are still coming in. She has been steamed up and, hopefully, it won't be too much longer before she's able to power herself again. [Thanks Brian Norden]

- Spokane, Portland & Southern 4-8-4 #700 is proceeding very nicely in her rebuild, and they are expecting her to return to service very soon. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Canadian National 4-6-2 #5080 has been “sold” to the Aspen Crossing Railway Corporation “…where it will be resurrected within two years and get her back on track”. It appears that as of March 18th, 2019, the project is getting underway in regards to moving the locomotive and tender. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Mississippi Central (Wilmington & Western) 4-4-0 #98 is down for her 1472. Hopefully, it won't be too long before this beautiful "American" is running once again.

- Cummer & Sons Cypress 2-6-2 #104 is currently attempting to raise donations to begin an operation restoration for the locomotive at the Florida Railroad Museum. {Link: https://www.facebook.com/FIREUP104/}

- Chesapeake & Ohio 2-8-4 #2716 is proceeding along with her restoration very nicely, and they hope to have her operable in the near future. [Thank you, soups]

- Cowlitz, Chehalis & Cascade 2-8-2 #15 has been down since last year when it was discovered that multiple repairs needed to be done. Earlier this year, the Chehalis-Centralia Railroad & Museum received $154,000 from the state of Washington's supplemental capital budget. Hopefully, once work can resume on repairing #15, she might be operable in the near future. {Link: http://www.chronline.com/news/chehalis- ... ef459.html}

- Boone & Scenic Valley 2-8-2 #8419 is undergoing her 1472 SDI. The railroad is still trying to raise funds to complete #8419's rebuild and have her in service again as soon as possible.

- Holmes Eureka Lumber No. 4, a two-truck Climax, is under restoration at the Roots of Motive Power, a railroad and logging museum in Northern California. They are hoping to have her operational in two years. Here's wishing them the best of luck.

- Southern Pacific 2-8-2 #745 is undergoing her 1472 SDI. Any donations to the Louisiana Steam Train Association to aid in #745's return to service again would be greatly appreciated.

- Canadian National 4-6-0 #1392 had a tube replaced this winter and more recently passed her hydro at the Alberta Railway Museum. Hopefully, it won't be long before she's moving under her own power again. [Thanks SD70dude]

- Southern Pacific 2-6-0 #1744 was purchased by the Pacific Locomotive Association, and they plan to restore her to operation. #1744 hasn't run in quite a while, and I hope the PLA are able raise all the funding needed to return her back to steam. [Thanks David Dewey]

- Nevada Northern 4-6-0 #40 went down for her 1472-day rebuild. Hopefully, it won't be very long before "The Ghost Train" is running once again.

- Canadian National 4-8-2 #6060 appears to have started receiving some work on her latest restoration. "The Rocky Mountain Rail Society that owns the locomotive up in Alberta, Canada has decided to commence work on the 4-8-2 even though not all of the funds for her restoration are currently available." [Thanks Les Beckman]

I know that AoSR is continuing to work on their locomotives, and the Everett Railroad has ideas for Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain 2-8-0 #38, but I don't have a clear idea on where they stand with their projects at this time. If anyone has more detailed information on any of these locomotives that they are safe to share, please feel more than welcome to do so.

When I first started this list last year, it contained only 14 steam locomotives under restoration to operation. Now, the list of locomotives returned to service/being restored/being rebuilt since the list started sits at well over 4× the original starting number. That was truly amazing, and it really brings a smile to my face to see so much steam moving towards operation again.

If there are any other steam locomotives that started (or are still undergoing) an operational restoration, please feel free to list which locomotive it is (and roughly where things stand, if you know). Likewise, if you know any additional details (that can be shared) for any of the locomotives already mentioned, please feel free to inform me. We could always use more good news in regards to steam.

{Lastly, while it isn't currently being restored, U.S. Army / TVRM #610 was pushed into the shops around September 2018 for evaluation on the feasibility of possibly restoring her again. With no official word from TVRM (that I'm aware of at this time), I guess we'll see what happens.}

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

Post subject: Re: Steam (returning/being restored/being rebuilt) in 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:39 pm 

Today (1/10/2021), RBMN did a static fire of their ex Reading T1 #2102. Based on this, many speculate the locomotive will be operable for the summer excursion season! Congrats to the guys on the R&N for this fantastic milestone!