It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CNW Bicentennial Hopper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:36 pm 

I was on my way home this evening and happened to see that the CNW's lone bicentennial 4-bay open hopper (CNW 135799) was sitting in the UP North Enid yard. I stopped to take a few photos and thought I would share them. I figured it would be worth giving a heads up here on the forum to anyone who might be interested in trying to pursue it for their museum collection upon its retirement. It has to be the only surviving Bicentennial schemed car still in revenue service and in original paint. I think it is part of a car pool delivering petroleum coke to the Oxbow Calcining (formerly Great Lakes Carbon) plant between Enid and Kremlin. It was a neat catch and thought its existence was worth noting here...

Post subject: Re: CNW Bicentennial Hopper
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:35 am 

Wiokie's post got me curious to see what this car looked like before the paint faded so much, and here is what I found.

First up, a page promoting a model of this car, with some interesting comments on interpreting colors (a favorite subject here, it seems!)

https://exactrail.com/blogs/news/chicag ... ial-hopper

Quote:
In our High School, our class schedule was organized by what was called "A" and "B" days. For those of you not familiar with this kind of schedule, it is a method for having more classes than what may be allocated in one school day. One schedule of classes occurs on A days, and a schedule of different classes occurs on B days, and then the two schedules alternate.

On one morning, I walked into my 8:00 a.m., A-day class. But rather than being received by the sober gaze of fellow math enthusiasts, I was met by a different set of faces, and my first thought was "What the hell are you people doing in my class!?"

Perhaps my first thoughts should have been 'it must actually be B-day, and I am probably confused."

The point is this: sometimes, notions that are preconceived influence our thought process. And, this is true for how we deal with color.

In 2009, ExactRail made the first release of the Penn Central Greenville 7100 Auto Parts Boxcar. For the color on this car, we missed the mark—no doubt about it. However, what I remember of the experience is that the person who chose the original color pointed to the new ExactRail model and decried adamantly, “I remember these cars, and they did not look like this!” His perception of color influenced his thought process to such an extent that, when the accurate color was shown to him, he felt the accurate color was no more right for the car either.

(The picture below compares the color of the original release with the color of our recent releases that have been certified by the Penn Central Historical Society.)

The lesson: You have to be careful.

When I started the bicentennial project with the CNWHS, I was surprised by the color. The red and blue colors of the CNW bicentennial hopper are not the typical shades of red and blue. The red color has hues of candy-apple/magenta, and the blue is quasi-powered in color. And, these particular shades of red and blue are good candidates for being altered by our subjective precepts. With a bicentennial car, maybe we would expect to see a blue more toward the navy spectrum and a red that is more crimson? As I was mixing paint to get the right color match, I was surprised by how far away the colors deviated from standard red and blue.

The photograph below is the builder’s photograph as it was provided by the Chicago & North Western Historical Society (CNWHS). With the age of the photo, the colors had shifted, and so I am also sharing my attempt to restore the color to how it most likely looked.

As indicated above, our perceptions of color are not irrefutable, and, as also indicated above, images themselves are not irrefutable either. Identifying the correct color for equipment may be a complex process that requires the comparison of many different media so to tease out our subjective precepts and what may be lost to poor photo processing and age. Yet, color is such an important part of the model railroading experience. We are proud to work very hard to get it right.

Our Chicago & North Western Bicentennial Hoppers have been met with outstanding praise from the CNWHS. The Chicago & North Western Bicentennial Hopper is available only through the Chicago & North Western Historical Society---

I also found this image from 1978, from this source.

https://marmarinou.tumblr.com/search/bi ... ial/page/3

We sure spread a lot of red, white, and blue paint around in 1976!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:18 am 

Cambria & Indiana RR has two bicentennial hoppers, 1776 and 1976, in both cases their original fleet numbers. The C&I is now long gone and it's a safe bet those two hoppers are too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:53 pm 

David H. Hamley wrote:
Cambria & Indiana RR has two bicentennial hoppers, 1776 and 1976, in both cases their original fleet numbers. The C&I is now long gone and it's a safe bet those two hoppers are too.

David -

Seeing your reference to Cambria & Indiana RR hopper cars, jogged my memory. There was a long running thread ("Roll Call two bay open top hopper cars") here on RyPN that started in October 2008 and ran for 14 pages before it ground to a halt! I checked it out, and I was right; the thread started with news of an auction on the Knox & Kane which included two Cambria & Indiana hoppers! Probably not the 1776 and 1976 and I'm not 100% sure if those two cars were purchased and saved or not. It might be in the thread, but even though I'm "hunkered down" because of the COVID-19 situation, I think I'll take a pass on looking through those 14 pages of info. Who knows, maybe the 1776 or the 1976 or at least a different C&I hopper still exists!

Les