It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TP&W derailment in El Paso IL late 1950’s early 60’s
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:32 am 

I grew up in El Paso IL. I remember well but cannot find any details of an early morning derailment on the west side of town just short of the crossing at US 51. Rail cars left the track and collided with gasoline fuel tanks sitting track side. The tanks were broken open and gasoline ran through the streets and into the gutters. Because it was so cold ther were no sparks and no fire. However the gasoline ran thru lines below the streets and fumes began to enter homes. Volunteer fire and police went door to door waking residents and packing basement drains with wet rags to stifle the fumes and prevent them from entering the homes. Fans sat for months on top of manholes. Until some said the area was safe.

That’s all I remember. I would like to know more. If anyone has information to share I’d appreciate an opportunity’to connect.

Thank you,

Rick Heiken
Scottsdale AZ
309-453-5143

Post subject: Re: TP&W derailment in El Paso IL late 1950’s early 60’s
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:44 am 

Hello Rick,

Someone shared your question on Facebook. Here is a copy of my response:

This wreck occurred on January 21, 1963. A burned wheel bearing is reported to have caused it. It was an eastbound train but I don't know the number. A bunch of grain cars carrying corn tipped over and spilled near the US 51/24 junction, striking the fuel tanks in the process. At least one of the cars also struck a building and knocked it off of the foundation. Not sure of the locomotives on the train that day.

If you have any other TP&W questions, feel free to send an email to me at tpwhistorical@gmail.com.

Thomas Dyrek
TP&W Historical Society