It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Survivors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:56 pm 

I'm in need of some guidance filling in holes from steamlocomotive.info. It is suggesting that there are two separate Glen Alden 0-4-0T's in Oregon, one owned by Fred Kepner, and one that was owned by the late Mike Schlag. Schlag apparently passed away nearly ten years ago, and this news aritcle (https://apnews.com/8a97c0a6ed2e49bfbedb24be9134aa81) suggests that there was only ever one that made it out west and it was sold to Kepner following Schlag's passing, though the separate listing claims that Kepner has owned his since 1971. Any ideas? Help from the resident J&L expert would also be appreciated on J&L 62 which I can't find anything recent on. Unless OR&W equipment could have actually operated in the state of Pennsylvania, it wouldn't fit the criteria.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:06 pm 

I saw the 4 & 9 when they arrived at Pine Creek. They were the most worn out locos I have ever seen. Tires were razor thin, smokeboxes patched with tie plates and cement. Just worked to death.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm 

Fred owns Glen Alden 28 not one of the Wanamie engines that went to Pine Creek in the late 1960’s. The 4 &9 were low profile locomotives where the 28 was a standard 0-4-0 T.

The 28 was bought in the 1950’s and spent a short time at the old Pine Creek location in Marlboro, NJ before they moved to Allaire. The 28 was sold after a very short stay at the Pine Creek before it was sold to a collector in Maryland. Fred purchased the 28 and moved it to a shop in Rocky Hill, NJ before moving to the West Coast.

When the 4 & 9 arrived at Allaire, the wrapper sheets looked like porcupines with all of the nails driven into the stay bolt tell tale holes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:23 am 

With a lead from a newly formed group on Facebook and some time combing Google Maps, I can officially confirm the existence of the Newport & Shermans Valley boxcar in New Bloomfield. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4171681,-77.1906433,3a,49.2y,269.23h,82.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srea2tP1SSp909ALODDtngA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:14 pm 

There is (or at least was) a N&SV boxcar in a small private set up along Route 34 between Route 11/15 and Route 22. There is also one that was built into a house on the eastern end of New Bloomfield. That one is covered with siding and looks almost like a mobile home from the road.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
That car's been known for ages. It's boxcar 55, was used as a town storage shed from about 1940 to 1970, then moved to its present location by Jim Hummel. See page 107 of Bells and Whistles in Old Perry for photo of it outside that barn. So it's been on the ground for about 80 years now........

Now, if someone wants to get a NG boxcar for the RR Museum of Pa. . . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:38 pm 

Greetings:
This tangled mess began when Shop Services at Mt.Pleasant, IA purchased and resold four narrow gauge Vulcan 0-4-0Ts at about the same time.

Two of them (Vulcan c/ns 4103 and 4104)(a matched pair!) were purchased by Shop Services from Steve Zuiderveen (who posts here) in 1/1991. Shop Services sold these in 1996 to Mike Schlag and to the best of my knowledge they are still sitting outside River City Machine Co. at Salem, OR.

The other two (Vulcan c/n 3585, Wanamie #4 and c/n 2484, Wanamie #9) were sold to the New Jersey Museum of Transportation in 10/1967 and sold by them in c.1976 to Keystone Light Railway Equipment Co. who converted #4 to diesel hydraulic drive but never moved either one. Then they were sold to Shop Services in 11/1998 but not moved until 1/1991 to Mt. Pleasant. #4 was sold in 1/1992 to Six Flags Fiesta Texas (their #601), at San Antonio where I think it is at today. At an unknown date, #9 was sold by Shop Services to Vierson Boiler Repair who has it on display outside their shop in Kentwood, MI without it's saddle tank. It has Vulcan extra order boiler #4763 built in 1949. I'm told that it is for sale.

I hope that my answer doesn't create more questions than it answers!
Be well,
J.David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:46 pm 

Wanamie 9 is back in Pennsylvania.
http://railfan.com/mining-steam-locomot ... nsylvania/

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:34 am 

What about the Brookvile at currently out at J&L and the Vulcan at the Railroad Museum of PA?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:58 am 

Schlag reported in 2008 on NGDF that he sold his 2 steam locomotives to Tom Zitter of Ft. Recovery OH.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:31 pm 

Reaching way back in my memory, the car mentioned above as being part of a house in New Bloomfield was actually one of the N&SV coaches, not a boxcar. Sorry for the error.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:27 pm 

Mr Laepple,

By no means correcting you, it would be great if a N&SV coach is still around. But....is there a chance this is the standard gauge Susquehanna River & Western combine, which was made into a dwelling? Haven't been to New Bloomfield in a good while. Also, any idea if the SR&W enginehouse, and for that matter, Gring's house, are still standing on a side road near the prison? Thanks in advance,

brian b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:59 pm 

Regarding the Brookville and Vulcan at the RRMPA; the Vulcan is standard gauge, and I believe the Brookville now in Ohio had no operational history in Pennsylvania. Rick can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also looking for more specific information on the Porter at "The Waterfront" in Homestead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm 

At the great risk of sounding like a broken record (anyone remember records?-) I still think it would be appropriate for the RMPA to have an EBT hopper. I understand that there were issues in the past; the museum can't solicit displays, or pay for them, etc. Things like that. But maybe the new leadership at EBT could consider making a donation to the museum? It's not like one hopper car will be sorely missed.

A nice display would feature a 3 foot hopper on three rail track, in line with a standard gauge HM or HT. This would show the difference in gauges and the relative size differences between the cars. And it goes without saying that the EBT operated in the state of Pennsylvania, carried Pennsylvania coal, and the bulk of their equipment (all of it?) was built in Pennsylvania. Several 'wins', teaching moments, in one display.

Getting off soapbox-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:37 am 

A great list with information even this born-in and living-in Pennsylvanian didn't know. I would like to add that all or nearly all of the Joyce National Powder equipment survives: a second Brookville was also converted to 24" and is currently stored in St. Marys; I believe all the cars have been re-gauged and are in use in northwestern PA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next