It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nice video of Mid-Continent rolling stock
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:31 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2W12GD ... e=youtu.be

Our manager took this video last fall when shuffling equipment into the new "Dorcey Building". It was a lot of work for the crews switching, but one happy day for Mid Continent getting much of our equipment squared away under roof. Many of the restored cars went into new building including some stored in our restoration building. This opened up room for more unrestored equipment to get under a roof as well as opened up our yard which was almost grid locked. Many of these restored cars do not get outside often so it is in many ways a show and tell time. Our restoration dept should be recognized for their continuing track record of accomplishments in restorations.

The poor rusted Tank engine was sold to new owners and is no longer at MC. Best wishes to it and the new owners.

Regards, John.

Post subject: Re: nice video of Mid-Continent rolling stock
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:55 pm 

Great looking building and an amazing collection of rolling stock!

Is this new building placed above the level of the floods that have inundated Mid Continent recently?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm 

John -

Nice video. And a couple of additional questions:

1. I saw no track doors on the new "Dorcey Building". Will doors be installed later?

2. Is the "rusted tank engine" CIPS number 6?

Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:46 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

2. Is the "rusted tank engine" CIPS number 6?

It looks like it. I believe it is for sale. From what it says here I think it looks worse than its actual condition/ restoration potential: https://www.midcontinent.org/equipment- ... service-6/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm 

Rick, the building is out of the flood plane and was much higher then the two floods a couple years ago and would not of been touched in the 2008 flood. For what it is worth the county would not of allowed building in the flood zone. Think the flood zone might of changed after the 500 yr flood of 2008.

Les the doors on the Dorcey building are overhead and are in place and work like a charm.

Yes that rusted Tank engine was the CIPS #6.

"The poor rusted Tank engine was sold to new owners and is no longer at MC. Best wishes to it and the new owners".

PMC, as for condition of the #6, it was rusty that is true. It would of needed the same thing that all park engines that have sat for 50+ years would of needed. We had the parts except the blower which was stolen off of it. There was nothing wrong with it that couldn't of been repaired or replaced. Rust and cosmetics do not determine a locomotives restorability. It was an eyesore but it was salvageable. It was decided MC would probably never get around to fixing it because of so many other projects needing the time and money. Well that was a tough argument to go up against. For the record I think it was a mistake. But the reasoning I can see. It needed a new home I am afraid. Thanks for the interest.

Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:40 am 

Thank you for sharing this video. It clearly reminds us of what a precious collection of equipment Mid-Continent houses, while the stark contrast between the restored and unrestored cars vividly illustrates the care and craftsmanship that the members invest in their work.

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:00 pm 

First, I was impressed with the building. Then I was blown away by the steady stream of finely restored truss-rod wooden passenger equipment. Then to see how many wood bodied freight cars you have. Holy cow. By the way, what engine do the three (3) set of drivers go to that are in the DSSS&A wood gon?

Thanks for sharing. Great to see this museum making such huge strides forward.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:31 pm 

The driver sets are for the Western Coal and Coke #1, a ten wheeler. Machining has been completed and new tires applied. This was a way to keep them out of the weather and still have space in the engine house.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pm 

I have long been impressed with the wood passenger car collection at Mid-Continent Railway Museum; am very glad to see the Car Shed #2 finished and full of cars. Even a locomotive.

In addition, they sent thee steam locomotives and some cars to new homes a while back. It takes a mature museum to remove items from a collection.

They found the funding to built two new bridges over that pesky river of theirs. Good Work!

Recently I sent a donation to their Duluth sleeping car restoration project.

Ted66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 pm 

In recent past I have not been afraid to be outspoken in areas I felt needed. I may or may not be appreciated for that. But in the same breath I would like to commend Mid Continent on some great steps forward other than the restorations dept. When I was a supervisor I could be rather picky with my CNAs and how they did their jobs, I had been one and I knew the tricks of the trade. But when I saw my girls doing good work and being diligent I complimented them and let them know I noticed that too. With that in mind MC has made an incredible shift in addressing just about all the infrastructure of the museum. Almost every building received a new roof and they needed them. The engine house was painted or mostly so. The track for most if not all the mainline received new tie replacements where needed the most. The main line rail was inspected and replaced where needed the most, as mentioned both the Baraboo River and Seely Creek bridge were replaced and some grading done as well. Most if not all the main line received new ballast and tamped, raised where needed. Not a track guy so pardon my lack of proper terminology. The new building went up and finished. A new {to us} NW2 diesel locomotive was bought and donated and as far as I know is now ready to go when needed as a back up loco. #1385 is coming along as far as I know since the boiler was finished and put on running gear. Have not seen any updates since then? So there is much to cheer about. None of this would of happened with out donors and we as a museum have been blessed by these donors. The Dorcey building alone is such a gift that will just keep on giving in terms of saving our restored equipment and allowing so many other cars to get under a roof so there is something left of them when their time comes. Three out of fleet of four Lackawanna coaches received new wheels and trucks rebuilt. One is still waiting for her newly rebuilt trucks, and one still waiting in line. 3 out of 4 is a great achievement.

Probably forgot a bunch of other things but all of this has been accomplished in the last 10 years and during that time we had two more record floods back to back with in one week. Again without our donors most of this would not of happened. But along with the donors our own people put in a lot of blood sweat and tears into making this happen. We are grateful to them too.

Regards, John.