It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Houston and Texas Central 319
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:34 pm 

Hey everyone I found this engine on steamlocomotive.com I was wondering if anyone knew what type of boiler this engine has or any more history of this locomotive.
Was located as part of the Roosevelt railroad museum was sold privately in 1990

Post subject: Re: Houston and Texas Central 319
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:24 pm 

The Houston & Texas Central became part of Southern Pacific subsidiary Texas & New Orleans.

My copy of the book about SP/T&NO locomotives is boxed up and off site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:25 pm 

Greetings:
No. 319 has a wagon top boiler with a keyhole firebox with crown bars.
John Thompson had it at the Illinois Central roundhouse at Markham, IL. When it was first unloaded, the Foreman, Irv Kaufran (who was a steam man and Dick Jensen's main adviser) looked it over and said it wasn't worth trying to repair as the boiler was terribly (and extensively) pitted. John went ahead and hired a boiler shop that did many tens of thousands of dollars work on the firebox, including a new mudring and large sections of the wrapper sheet. When they went to hydro it, it wouldn't hold water because the dry pipe was wasted. Why didn't they inspect the dry pipe you ask? Remember, it has a crown bar firebox and typically with crown bar fireboxes, the steam dome is directly over the firebox, so you can't get inside the boiler without taking out a lot of crown bars (which would have been a big project as they were all very heavily covered with hard scale). They got a new dry pipe installed, but never were able to do a hydro test due to all the other leaks that became evident once the boiler was filled with water.
At that point John gave up.
We got it (and the Coronet Phosphate No.9, a 2-6-2T now at Illinois Railway Museum) ready to move on their own wheels over the Illinois Central main line from Markham to Monee where cranes were used to put them onto trailers and then moved to John's winery (a whole story itself).
Be well,
J.David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am 

A few photos I took over the years at the winery location.

In 1933 Mr. Adams welded his signature inside the firebox of what by then was a very old locomotive. The were was no firepan and I think I placed the camera (shooting slides) on the axle and utilizing just the light bouncing up from the track held the shutter open a random amount of time which obviously worked.

The oil tank was left behind when the engine was shipped to Georgia. Part sat atop the back of the tender.

Attachments:
sp_full.jpg
sp_full.jpg [ 63.65 KiB | Viewed 4441 times ]
sp_safe.jpg
sp_safe.jpg [ 46.55 KiB | Viewed 4441 times ]
sp_sign.jpg
sp_sign.jpg [ 74.17 KiB | Viewed 4441 times ]
sp_oil.jpg
sp_oil.jpg [ 189.38 KiB | Viewed 4441 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 am 

Would anyone happen to know how to contact the current owner?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:54 am 

The last I knew the 319 was owned by John River. He purchased the engine from John Thompson in the mid 1980's and moved it to Georgia in the late 1990's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:01 pm 

Steven Butler wrote:
The last I knew the 319 was owned by John River. He purchased the engine from John Thompson in the mid 1980's and moved it to Georgia in the late 1990's.

Steven -

I was a very infrequent visitor to the Thompson's site there in Monee through the years, but on one of my visits, I was surprised to find Mr. River (and a couple of his kids) working on the 319. He explained of his purchasing the engine and that he would use his summer vacation time to come up to Monee from Georgia and take parts off of it to reduce weight for when it would eventually be moved. Too bad his plans didn't work out once the Ten-Wheeler made it down south.

Les