It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Significant California Steam Acquisition SP 1744 to NCRy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:53 am 

It has been reported that that Pacific Locomotive Assn. has purchased former SP 2-6-0 1744 with the goal of rebuilding her for service on the Association's Niles Canyon Ry.

This is a huge plus for the PLA and for railroad history as the PLA has a nice collection of SP passenger cars that run over their former SP line just South of Oakland, CA.

The Mogul will be more fitting for service at Niles Canyon than most present steam power given her 63" drivers and greater t.e. than the little Prairie types that they have used for years.

I believe that 1744 is in several pieces and these will likely be transported to Niles Canyon where work could commence to give her the rebuild that was started a few years back.

A really good fit for the Niles Canyon Ry. Glad to hear of this news.

Post subject: Re: Significant California Steam Acquisition SP 1744 to NCR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:56 pm 

Niles Canyon has such an impressive collection, it’s a shame things couldn’t be worked out with GGRM but they aren’t going to be missing that SP loco for long!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:47 pm 

I don’t think there was any other place that it could’ve gone that would’ve been better for it. Potentially operating on home rails with consistent rolling stock, what more could you ask for? Great to hear 1744 finally has a home.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm 

I have a fairly complete set of SP Quarterly Locomotive Assignment Records.

They show 1744 as being on the Western Division from the late 30's to around 1941, then to the San Joaquin Division into the early 50's. From there, she went to the Los Angeles Division and then to the Yuma Division by early 1956.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:44 pm 

Its weird, even though it was well before my time; I almost always think of SP 1744 having roots in Utah due to being displayed at the Corrine Museum and first restored to service in Heber. Its been gone from Utah for a long time now though, and as noted already historically almost all of its assigned districts were in California. Niles will be a great home for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:59 pm 

tom moungovan wrote:

They show 1744 as being on the Western Division from the late 30's to around 1941, then to the San Joaquin Division into the early 50's. From there, she went to the Los Angeles Division and then to the Yuma Division by early 1956.

Tom, does the records define when the 10,000 gallon tender that's on it was installed? SP was big on swapping tenders. By defining when this tender was installed it would give a possible date to restore it to. Knowing that it was on the Western Division until 1941 also gives a restoration era but then the question as to if the tender matches will be a question. This is getting way ahead of ourselves but getting information now will help define how to restore it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:04 pm 

JMann wrote:
tom moungovan wrote:

Tom, does the records define when the 10,000 gallon tender that's on it was installed? SP was big on swapping tenders. By defining when this tender was installed it would give a possible date to restore it to. Knowing that it was on the Western Division until 1941 also gives a restoration era but then the question as to if the tender matches will be a question. This is getting way ahead of ourselves but getting information now will help define how to restore it.

Joe, those records do not show any mechanical changes of any sort, just where the locomotive was assigned at the end of that particular quarter.

The person to get a hold of is Arnold Menke. I think that he still lives in AZ. Nobody knows tenders better than he. If you need to, pm me here and I can give you his last address.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 pm 

How many locomotives are currently operational at Niles? I know the Skookum is there currently and the articulated tank engine is operational for sure so that’s at least 2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:11 pm 

Southern Pacific #1744 is one of the best looking Mogul's around. Glad she is going to be restored to operation.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:20 pm 

This is the link to a new page on the PLA website:
Southern Pacific 1744: The "Valley Malley" is coming home!

link found on a posting to the NGDF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:21 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
How many locomotives are currently operational at Niles? I know the Skookum is there currently and the articulated tank engine is operational for sure so that’s at least 2.

As far a steam is concerned, we have Clover Valley 2-6-6-2 #4 and Robert Dollar 2-6-2 #3 in service. If you are asking to include diesels, there are at least 7 of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:37 pm 

Howard Wise wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

As far a steam is concerned, we have Clover Valley 2-6-6-2 #4 and Robert Dollar 2-6-2 #3 in service. If you are asking to include diesels, there are at least 7 of them.

Howard -

Are either the Clover Valley number 4 or Robert Dollar #3, tank engines?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:54 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Howard Wise wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Howard -

Les

Hi Les, yes both are as well as the Quincy 2, the other 2-6-2T on the property.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:06 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Howard Wise wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Howard -

Les

Both are tank engines along with the Quincy #2 and the old Steptoe #3 that we started steam operation with in the canyon. That's why everyone (including us) makes fun of the fact that we are finally going to have a tender locomotive. That ignores that we also have the 0-6-0 SP 1269, 2-6-2 Sierra 30 and 4-6-2 SP 2467 in our collection. But the 1269 would not be good for our operations, Sierra 30 is a loooong way from being restored and the 2467 is on loan to the CSRM. So up to now we have been a tank steam operation except for visiting locomotives like the Skookum and 2472.

We even had "Tankfest" when we had the Granite Rock 10 visit from CSRM and Mason County #7 visit from Roots of Motive Power. All tank engines.

As an SP fan I'm excited to see us get the SP 1744. It will be perfect for the operation in Niles Canyon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:55 pm 

If any locomotive has nine lives, it's #1744. This is her fifth RR since 1980. Have any other steam locomotives been greater boomers than #1744?