It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nevada State RR Museum Gets Replica of V&T’s 2-6-0 Lyon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:36 pm 

nedsn3 wrote:
No eye or ear protection!
Didn't Strasburg build the boiler?

The boiler was by Kloke, will try to get those pix and others up when I can.

Alternately, if you can get Facebook, you can look yourself.

Do so if you can, it's not unusual for a page like that to disappear when the purpose it has for the owner goes away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:39 pm 

Tickling brain cells, I recall seeing the Lyon in the Strasburg shop during the tour years ago, and the boiler was on it. I couldn't tell you what was done, though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:46 am 

J3a-614 wrote:
nedsn3 wrote:
No eye or ear protection!
Didn't Strasburg build the boiler?

The boiler was by Kloke, will try to get those pix and others up when I can.

Correct. The Kloke boiler is a complete boiler and was added only in the last several years. When the locomotive was at Strasburg, it never had a complete boiler on it, just a partial shell with no interior components and no firebox. Not sure if that was incorporated into Kloke’s boiler or was set aside.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:49 am 

This project has been going on since at least 2007/2008, if not earlier. The previous owner (? - not sure if he still owns the engine or not) would solicit donations to complete various parts of the job. My local group contributed to the tender work shown in the photos above. I think the boiler has been complete for at least 10 years. The way the project was sold in the 2008 timeframe was to create an operating stable-mate for the Leviathan. Now that the Leviathan has departed the midwest I presume that's off the table. I wonder if the move out west is permanent.

Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:53 pm 

More tender pix by someone named Fred; some in this album were duplicates of the shots previously posted. I've tried to avoid duplications, but one or two may have slipped through.

So far none of the photos in this album have captions, but I am intrigued at some sort of coating inside the tank, possibly an epoxy or something for additional watertightness?

"Justin marking the spot for the next rivet."

Technically not, well, technical, but I have to say I like the photo because it's part of us getting younger people involved.

I wonder if this stuck after nine years.

"Grandpa Fred Haberkamp and Justin using the welder to install a rivet."

How much may have changed for these two in the last nine years.

"Grandpa Fred Haberkamp and Justin using the welder to install a rivet. The last one on the row is going on.

"Now Justin is on his way to Carson City, NV and the NSRM to explain to the staff how this is done!"

Sounds like it did stick!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:27 pm 

Journal box covers; captions added where available from the album.

"Pattern and print."

"A pattern in the making."

Someone had a question for the site administrator--and an interesting detail emerges.

"Have you already designed or cast the journal box covers? I only ask since I noticed the other night how the originals had a Left and Right format, stars tipped on edge and facing into the truck center. ... ~K"

"Hello, K.

"Yes, I saw the same thing you did. I made the pattern with tilted stars. Depending on how you flip them, they can be made to tilt left or right. I think what Booth or the V&T did was to oriente them to tilt toward the center of each truck.

"In addition to the photo, I also noticed that stars are oriented this same odd way on many late 19th Century buildings still standing in San Francisco.

"I will send along photos of rge castings soon to better illustrate what I did. ~T"

"Here it is cast and fitted up with non period bolts."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:36 pm 

Just generally working on the engine in 2010:

The following photo had no caption, but a couple of comments of interest.

Christoph-Maria Oberbauer "

"What is that?"

V & T Lyon

"This is the top of the cylinder where the steam passages have been machined and lapped so the "D" valve when moving back and forth with the link motion will allow steam to push the piston back and forth."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:42 pm 

"Lyon Garratt Whistle"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 pm 

I understand that the boiler (or at least a great deal of it) was fabricated at Strasburg but that Dave Kloke assembled it.

It is impressive how many people worked on this project.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:13 pm 

ctjacks wrote:
This project has been going on since at least 2007/2008, if not earlier. The previous owner (? - not sure if he still owns the engine or not) would solicit donations to complete various parts of the job. My local group contributed to the tender work shown in the photos above. I think the boiler has been complete for at least 10 years. The way the project was sold in the 2008 timeframe was to create an operating stable-mate for the Leviathan. Now that the Leviathan has departed the midwest I presume that's off the table. I wonder if the move out west is permanent.

Chris.

I believe the project dates back even further than that. I recall seeing the chassis at Strasburg on shop tours as early as 2003. The boiler was delivered by Kloke in the 2013 timeframe. I recall him and his crew talking about shipping it to the Lyon project during one of Leviathan's appearances in 2013. So far as I know, Kloke was only involved in building the boiler and had no other part in the project. Based on the news release at the start of this thread, it appears as if the Lyon project has been donated to NSRM, which will become its permanent home. Of course, David Kloke sold his locomotive and other rolling stock to David Abel of Stone Gables Estate, and all of that equipment is now part of Mr. Abel's new railroad.

/Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:51 am 

J3a-614 wrote:
Tickling brain cells, I recall seeing the Lyon in the Strasburg shop during the tour years ago, and the boiler was on it. I couldn't tell you what was done, though.

Here's an old photo I was able to dig up from August of 2006:

As for the original plan - I thought, though could be wrong, that the locomotive was to operate at the Boone Scenic - or is that the Boone & Scenic in Boone, Iowa? It certainly places it in Iowa at some point. Not sure it could pull much, even if the line is? relative flat.
Later plans were for a visit under steam at the V&T, though I do not recall any plans for it to become part of the Nevada State Railroad Museum collection at the time.

Did anyone confirm that the project will still be one that sees it operational?

/Mitch

Attachments:
Lyon 060813 LR.jpg
Lyon 060813 LR.jpg [ 219.35 KiB | Viewed 4867 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:12 pm 

Did anybody else notice that in the first photo in this thread that there appears to be a huge chunk of the firebox missing?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:43 pm 

Yes, I noticed that too, which was what made me think it was a fake or imitation boiler. Guess not.
Ned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:53 pm 

No missing boiler pieces. You are seeing the the curved rear cab support as well as the cab wall below the fireman seat deck. Look close you can see the same parts on the right side. the Johnson Bar is attached to the cab wall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:32 pm 

I thought the same thing about the boiler until I saw the pictures of the cab being fitted, I went back and looked and sure enough it was the cab supports. Picture fooled us all!