It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any updates on the PRR E6s #460?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:09 pm 

Does anyone have an update on the RMPA's restoration of the 460?

Last edited by Jeff Lisowski on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Title

Post subject: Re: Any updates on the E6s?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 am 

To answer my own question, there's a great article in the most recent issue of "The Keystone", regarding the restoration, the new roundhouse, and the locomotives to be placed inside on completion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I can report that the crew has picked up a talented and experienced volunteer..... two days a week, he reports.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 am 

Could anyone describe the progress? Although I donated money to restore the thing, I don't subscribe to 'the Keystone" and it can't be found or purchased online--on the website, the "most recent issue" is more than a year old.

Can anyone describe the progress? How long till completion,? what are they discovering? You'd think, having solicited contributions from the public , that the museum would publish occasional updates. The last one was three years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:00 pm 

The tender steel is being replaced, with much of the detail work accomplished. Large sections remain to be finished. All work is being done exactly as PRR would have done it in the steam age. The cylinders are prepped for reciprocation without the pistons. The pistons are current stored safely. Much of the locomotive steel has been blasted and primed. The new roundhouse will be an adaptation of a Reading design. It will contain the H-10s, the E6s, the K4s, the M1b, and L1s. The DD1 will go indoors along with GG1 4800.
The E6s will be completed prior to the roundhouse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:14 pm 

Thank you kindly. Any sense of how much is the original fabric and how much is replaced?

When they say they are restoring it using the original methods, does that mean to 1920 specs, fit to run, or are they simply doing a cosmetic restoration (I know there are no plans to run it; I'm just wondering what there restoration philosophy is).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:25 pm 

The article said "the pistons are being stored safely, in the event someone wishes to re-install them at a later date". The restoration appears to be such that, while no plans currently exist to fire 460, the locomotive itself will be capable of repairs to make her runnable. It's steel of the correct type, reinstalled in the correct manner. I would hasten to add, one shouldn't read anything other than top flight restoration techniques in that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:49 am 

Original fabric????

An article in a 2012 Keystone on the 460 stated that there were parts from at least 22 different locomotives on the 460. Since she was one of the last E6s in operation they took parts off of anything they could to keep her going. Much of the cab metal has to be replaced.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:24 pm 

Tom Parkins wrote:
Original fabric????

An article in a 2012 Keystone on the 460 stated that there were parts from at least 22 different locomotives on the 460. Since she was one of the last E6s in operation they took parts off of anything they could to keep her going. Much of the cab metal has to be replaced.

The PRR definition of "original fabric" is a tad vague. Basically, if it was made by the Pennsy, it's original hahah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:09 pm 

Lots of locomotives are like that, which makes taking apart a locomotive interesting because you never know which engines you may find parts from!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:45 pm 

"Original Fabric" would probably refer to the materials present when the locomotive's Period of Significance concluded, not what was present when it rolled out of the locomotive works.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:21 pm 

One may argue that it is still very significant.........

dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:34 am 

By "original fabric" I meant the loco as it was when it left revenue service. So I assume they are restoring it to roughly 1957 condition.

Although I'm a historian for a living, I'd not be a stickler for "original" with something like this, and the fact that it has parts from other locos is a fascinating example of how the PRR operated, at least towards the end of steam.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:29 am 

Just speculating....But part of the rationale for painting the 460 in the last paint scheme may be because that's the way the engine is.

While I'm glad for the roundhouse to preserve these pieces, I sure hope it gets to see the light of day on occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:10 pm 

Personally -- and only personally -- I cannot imagine it makes any sense to restore this locomotive to any condition other than it was on the day in May 1927 that it became famous.

I'd entertain discussion on whether it should be preserved shiny and in perfect concours condition (as Mallard currently is, an icon to great achievement) or grimed and stained as she would have been at the conclusion of her record run.

But preserved as she was in the '50s? What would be the point?