It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smokebox Cement Help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 pm 

We need to add some cement into the rear of a smokebox to assist in the cleanout process and prevent some rust build up.

I've never had to do this before, and have a couple of questions

1. What is the correct type of cement to use in a smokebox environment?

2. What is the surface preparation required before the pouring of cement? Clean and polished metal, as it is, no rust flakes, etc.

3. What is the setting time for the cement typically?

4. What are things to look for during first fire up and during the future life of the cement?

Veterantoget.dk

Post subject: Re: Smokebox Cement Help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:22 pm 

I did that to an engine in the 90's and to line a firebox of a stationary boiler about 8 years ago. both time the product used previously was no longer available but the local vendors had an excellent replacement. If it need to be thin use the stainless reinforcement needles if offered. If your having corrosion issues by all means apply a high temp paint on the substrate and follow the manufactures instructions.

Follow the instructions, you may need to cure it with a "slow" fire or it may take a couple days at room temp.

Once you get the profiles right it does make cleanout easier and I personally think it improves the flow and eliminates cinder cutting.

It doesn't last forever and remember that you'll want to remove it at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 am 

Stuart,

Find a vendor locally; a foundry or steel making operation I'm sure will help you.

Good Luck,

Paul J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:34 pm 

Many years ago as the engineering supervisor on a large diesel electric sand and gravel dredge on the Ohio river we overhauled a double pass fire tube boiler. The local boiler company (Johnson Boiler works in Wheeling West Virginia, still in business today!) provided all the refractory materials. They did all the tubes and repairs to the tube sheets. I with little experience did all the refractory work. The base metal has to be very clean and I used a high temp primer before applying the refractory cement. The job turned out really well! I just followed the manufacturer's instructions. This was loooong before youtube! There are many different high temp refractory materials that are used in many applications. My boiler project used several kinds including brick. Just saying a reliable industrial boiler company should be able to direct you to an appropriate product to use, and there's probably videos from the product's maker. I know that you should be fine! Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:30 pm 

Don't get the fast drying stiff. It took all weekend before somebody showed up to chip me out.