It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TVRM Gets Norfolk Southern Office Car
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am 

nedsn3 wrote:
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but the pictures show ancient, obsolete trucks, one is even a bolted bolster truck from the '20's probably. The trucks which were on the NS business car were modern (1960's modern anyway) outside swing hanger cast trucks, probably GSC 62-UDO-11 6 wheelers. They are scarce and pricey when found. My point (long lost now) was the owner probably trying to make up for lost $ sold those pricey trucks to a PV owner wanting to upgrade. I don't have a picture. I'm sure there are pleanty of the old types around as there were lots of old passenger cars which were scrapped. Frankly, those old cast trucks look sorta goofy on the car.
Ned

Your point is beyond the scope of this board I think, which is railway preservation, not PVs as such. It is an open question I think whether "modern (1960's modern anyway) outside swing hanger cast trucks, probably GSC 62-UDO-11 6 wheelers" are appropriate to a much older preserved car at the TVR MUSEUM, unless you think an example of an office car from the last 40 or so years is worth preserving. Otherwise the older trucks you are mocking may actually be more appropriate in a museum setting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:47 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:
The issue, or rather question, is whether or not they can find a set of modern 3-axle OSH trucks to replace those now missing.

But do they NEED such a set, at least right away?

I see no indication that TVRM is rebuilding this car for main-line/Amtrak-certified service. If they are not, they most likely can "get away" with what's on hand. Without a mainline excursion program to garner charter income from the car, they can get away with local charter on its usual run.

It's ironic that if you scrap the car or PCC, the trucks, motors, etc. can be worth FAR more as cores for rebuild than one might have bought the car for. I am told of a vandalized PCC shell that was bought by one operation for $250, stripped for common PCC fixtures as spares, then scrapped, with two of the motors being sold for $8,000 EACH.......... never mind the trucks....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:06 pm 

While work on Electrical and HVAC systems continue there was an opportunity between other projects to get the car painted in Southern livery. It will be on display on Sunday for viewing by some of the project's funders. And yes, it does have outside swing hanger trucks.

Tim Andrews

Attachments:
IMG_4130.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg [ 202.38 KiB | Viewed 10273 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:30 pm 

Quote:
It was purchased by TVRM from a private owner and it will be returning to TVRM were it once served as the speaker’s platform during the dedication of our Tunnel Blvd bridge in 1977.

I'm not sure how to read that bit. Did TVRM previously own it and sold it to the private owner, who's now selling it back to them?

It also made me curious, how often if ever, has museum sold an asset, only to buy it back years later?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:19 pm 

In 1977 the car was owned by Southern Railway as car 5 and was sent to TVRM for use with the 4501 as props for the dedication of the Tunnel Blvd bridge. When NS was formed it became NS 8. It was retired and sold into private hands, was sold a second time and then acquired by TVRM. We have returned the car to the original Office Car 21 which was the number when built from Pullman Point Richmond.

Tim Andrews
Chattanooga, TN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:22 pm 

And for the record we have twice, that I am aware of, sold a passenger car and than reacquired them at a later date.