It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alternative Examples of the Reading's Postwar Paint Colo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:37 pm 

Industrial art at its finest, Phil. LOL

Here's a great picture of Reading Yard in 1953 from the ARHS site to analyze further if I haven't posted it already...

http://archives.anthraciterailroads.org ... hotoID=578

First off, we see a both a freshly painted caboose and a brand new boxcar. The roofs on each appear to be flashing an identical purplish-pink which would be a good indication they are the exact same color. The Lackawanna car in the background is of the darker reddish brown like the Northern Pacific's...

Attachments:
readingyard1953cropped.jpg
readingyard1953cropped.jpg [ 97.06 KiB | Viewed 6620 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm 

Looks like the FA/FB set are lugging WM coal up Temple Hill. 2 units and loaded coal mean something's pushing. A couple years earlier it would be a 2-8-8-0; wonder what's back there this day?

As to the boxcar and caboose, of course they're the same paint. Reading Shops means frugal Dutchmen; people who make sausage, then take what's left over, mix it with cornbread and spices and make scrapple. Tastes good by the way.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:39 am 

Yeah it does, Phil. Back in the days of yore we dumped Turkey Syrup all over it but I like to use maple now...

https://www.goldenbarrel.com/product/mr ... ble-syrup/

Harry's Trainmaster looks like a big hunk of green and yellow scrapple that's been left go in the back of the fridge too long so perhaps that was an inspiration. LOL

That Fmnut guy has a great YouTube video on the Temple Hill grade with some films from around the same time period. The RS-3's and AS-16's were in service by then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u57jPtGfz9M

Here's that brand new boxcar up against a modern resto Chevy Coppertone paint job...

Attachments:
chevcoppertonematch.JPG
chevcoppertonematch.JPG [ 116.74 KiB | Viewed 6556 times ]

Last edited by NVPete on Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:55 pm 

The purplish-pink flash on the roofs of the caboose and boxcar is caused by the reflection of the blue sky as shown here on the hood of the same truck...

Attachments:
1954chevycoppertoneskyreflection.JPG
1954chevycoppertoneskyreflection.JPG [ 101.69 KiB | Viewed 6519 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:46 pm 

Here's a pic of an XMc in its original fifties paint with a later Katy car that's the same color taken in 1967. Both were built by ACF so I'm wondering if they still have their old paint records...

Attachments:
rdg109214saturated.jpg
rdg109214saturated.jpg [ 68.44 KiB | Viewed 6507 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:50 pm 

Soooo, if the Reading and Katy cars match the Sante Fe's and Floquil's ATSF Mineral Brown matches DuPont's 72005 Chevrolet Truck Coppertone, I'd have to say I'm getting pretty darn close to reaching a conclusion on this color as well...

Attachments:
rdgmktatsfdupontfloquilmineralbrowncoppertone.JPG
rdgmktatsfdupontfloquilmineralbrowncoppertone.JPG [ 96.04 KiB | Viewed 6437 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:50 am 

Mr. Uebele has a chapter on the original mineral/metallic browns which were used primarily on wooden surfaces but good for metal as well...

https://chestofbooks.com/home-improveme ... rowns.html

The darker shade which matches GMC Mahogany Brown seems to have been the most popular among the various railroads. Here are NP and DLW cars together at the dock...

Attachments:
dlw55559.jpg
dlw55559.jpg [ 359.49 KiB | Viewed 6409 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:01 pm 

Well, I just scored a 1967 DuPont Fleet Color Selector catalog so you guys can expect a few revealing revelations from that much-needed source here in the dark winter days which are soon upon us. One quick hint of what's to come, I was right about the WE5839 card from the fan not being yellow enough. LOL

The one color from the NPRHA I didn't cover yet was the MOW Orange which is packaged with the Northern Pacific Mineral Brown in the drift card set. That color is a very close fan deck match to this one, WE5890...

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetai ... ode=WE5890

I still have yet to find a confirmed case of Mahogany Brown on a 1951-54 GMC truck to use as an alternative example but those stinky Lebanon Coach Company old-look "city busses" were that same darker boxcar red color. You definitely didn't want to get stuck behind one in traffic. This pic was taken on N. Eighth St. approaching Cumberland. That guy in Cadillac is trying to hang back a bit due to the fumes...

Attachments:
lebanoncoachcompanycitybuseighthstreet.jpg
lebanoncoachcompanycitybuseighthstreet.jpg [ 109.01 KiB | Viewed 6273 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:23 pm 

Here's a later pic of one at the barn. The upper portion is Aluminum and the wheels are white, BTW. The color of the mineral browns tend to fluctuate quite a bit in both old and new photos if you guys haven't noticed that already. Now, it looks a bit more red like my picture of the chip. Avon Heights, just east of Lebanon, was so-named because it's the location of the highest elevation on the Reading's Lebanon Valley Branch...

Attachments:
lebbusatbarn.jpg
lebbusatbarn.jpg [ 105.14 KiB | Viewed 6270 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:30 pm 

New York Central's cars were darker than the Reading's...

Attachments:
readingyard1953nycrdg.jpg
readingyard1953nycrdg.jpg [ 128.82 KiB | Viewed 6265 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:16 pm 

Lebanon Coach Co's old look beeses were gassers, GMC model TGH 3102. That might explain the aroma. The photo at the garage shows both gas and diesel pumps.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:50 am 

I think they ran those things rich on purpose, Phil, so other motorists would maintain a safe following distance. LOL The model number indicates the busses were built anywhere from 1953 until 1963. They lasted well into the seventies and if I remember right, the cost of replacing them led to Lebanon Coach exiting the local transit business which the county government then assumed.

The garage was over in the 300 block of Willow St. next to Bob Hoch's. The repurposed building was still there the last time I looked. At one time, the old C&L/PRR/PC industrial spur, which snaked its way along Willow, ran behind it on the other side of the creek.

Since those are Texaco pumps out front there, we might as well do those colors. Texaco Green, as listed in my 1963 DuPont reference, is 93-5207 Green which doesn't go anywhere with what I have at the moment. Texaco Red is 93-674H Red which is also known as Texas Red and Autocar Truck Radiant Red. In the fifties, Texaco Red and Coca Cola Red were the same color and my older Coke chips do match 674H which would make a good case for calling that color as the PRR's Toluidine Red.

The green band on the bus is close to the Texaco Green on the pump and both are darker than the interior green which would most likely be 93-6202. Could be the starting point for attempting to figure that color out but I'm not doing it now.

Since you mentioned the Western Maryland coal train heading up the hill and we're examining mineral browns at the moment, I always thought WM cars had more of a terra cotta look to them compared to the others so, what the heck, we might as well take a look at 1955-56 Dodge Truck Terra Cotta, 93-73126. Here's the chip from the 1967 fleet catalog I just got...

Attachments:
dodgetruckterracottachip.jpg
dodgetruckterracottachip.jpg [ 136.52 KiB | Viewed 6121 times ]

Last edited by NVPete on Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:18 pm 

The Lebanon 3102's look nice in their Mahogany, Green and Aluminum.

By the 1970's Federal money was available to government agencies to buy new transit vehicles. Private transit operators gave way to transit authorities throughout Pennsylvania. And they bought new new vehicles to replace the classic "old looks." LANTA in Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton; BARTA in Reading. And Lebanon Transit in Lebanon.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:36 pm 

The original embed-in-your-head acronym was COLT for County of Lebanon Transit, not to be confused with COLTS, or County of Lackawanna Transit System. About a decade ago, it became just "LT" which is kind of boring. Too bad they didn't call it "LebBus" since that sounds more fun. Got run over, huh? LebBus prey.

Yeah, I'll have to look at that green sometime. The lettering appears to be an orange. I guess Mahogany Brown does resemble Lebanon Bologna to a certain point.

Speaking of meat products, DuPont 93-674H is also listed as Armour Red. I haven't found anything like a Swift Yellow as of yet, however.

There's only one problem with picking Dodge Truck Terra Cotta as the WM's freight car color and that would be the ever-so-slightly redder 93-72899, 1955-58 GMC Seminole Brown... LOL

Attachments:
treeacottaseminolbrownchips.jpg
treeacottaseminolbrownchips.jpg [ 162.24 KiB | Viewed 6043 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:51 am 

These colors are quite variable in pictures as well. This Dodge might be Terra Cotta but it's not noted in the listing...

http://americanclassicscars.com/dodge/1 ... truck.html

I am favoring the GMC Seminole Brown but Wild Mary still could go either way...

Attachments:
wildmarysterracottaextravaganza.JPG
wildmarysterracottaextravaganza.JPG [ 99.61 KiB | Viewed 5990 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 77  Next