It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting Santa Fe Coach trivia, coat hooks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:39 pm 

Started pulling parts from AT&SF coach 2865 and came across a bit of interesting trivia on the coat hooks;

The fold down coat hooks consist of two cast stainless steel parts, the base and the hook itself. On the few that I have taken out so far, the base is marked with a part # (A23234) and what I am guessing is an assembly number (in the case of the one pictured 176), while the back of the hook is marked with a matching assembly number. So far I have found assembly numbers ranging from 48 to 226, these numbers were stamped in the parts after casting.

It would seem as though there was some hand fitting of the two parts required to get the hook to function correctly, hence the desire for the hook and base to remain together as a unit.

I suppose neither here nor there, but kind of interesting.

Jason Midyette

Attachments:
hook 4.JPG
hook 4.JPG [ 28.58 KiB | Viewed 4118 times ]
hook 3.JPG
hook 3.JPG [ 36.23 KiB | Viewed 4118 times ]
hook 2.JPG
hook 2.JPG [ 47.63 KiB | Viewed 4118 times ]
hook 1.JPG
hook 1.JPG [ 39.8 KiB | Viewed 4118 times ]

Post subject: Re: Interesting Santa Fe Coach trivia, coat hooks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:56 pm 

I am familiar with the coat hook, and it wouldn't surprise me that Adlake sill lists it as available, either as a finished item or it has repair parts - think the retracting spring, for instance. Adlake is in business today and is manufacturing new latches, locks and other interior equipment, including car fittings, kerosene lanterns, globes, lenses, etc. I've purchased parts for refurbishing a 1949 Pullman within the last 4 months, so I am a happy customer, nothing more.

In respect to the one you have photographed, when I was writing new car and refurbishment specifications, we sought to either specify on new cars or specify in the rebuild this type of coat hook, because when it wasn't in use, it would retract and not become a danger poking someone in the eye, if somebody accidentally lurched into it, like you would with one of the old-fashioned non-retracting cast coat and hat hook. Anyway, that was our thought back in the 80s and 90s. Also, of course, it had a more modern look than the old style cast ones.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 pm 

Jason Midyette wrote:
Started pulling parts from AT&SF coach 2865.

Have you been approached for parts? I have forwarded your classified post to groups I know are looking for things the car could supply.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 pm 

I've seen similar numbers stamped in parts, both railroad and non railroad, but havegds
never run it to ground. I'd theorize that in this case the machined parts were mated prior to nickel plating and they were stamped to match them up after the process. It could also have something to do with ensuring delivery of the quantity ordered. I've seen numbers added to various components or assemblies, separate of the serial number, to reflect the quantity ordered. Best Lock/Best Access System does this extensively with locks that are assembled to order.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm 

Catalpa wrote:
I am familiar with the coat hook, and it wouldn't surprise me that Adlake sill lists it as available, either as a finished item or it has repair parts - think the retracting spring, for instance. Adlake is in business today and is manufacturing new latches, locks and other interior equipment, including car fittings, kerosene lanterns, globes, lenses, etc. I've purchased parts for refurbishing a 1949 Pullman within the last 4 months, so I am a happy customer, nothing more.
Another long-time railroad supplier of such things (coat hooks, latches, locks, etc.) is James L. Howard Co. of Bloomfield, CT. The firm appears to still be in business.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:36 am 

Boy that seems labor intensive and expensive.