It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IRM Acquires CLRV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm 

TTC CLRV's have been (temporarily) standard-gauged before. Back in 1980, when the MBTA was looking for replacements for their remaining PCCs, they borrowed three of them, either regauged or retrucked them, and ran them in regular service on the Green Line for several months. Here's a photo that I took during their Boston visit.

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=240639

Having spent many happy hours riding these machines in Toronto, I'm glad that the IRM is saving one and hooping that one of the New England trolley museums does the same.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:04 pm 

As usual Randy Hicks has the scoop on the Toronto street car.

https://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2019 ... beria.html

I know from experience moving things across the Canadian border can be nightmarish, I'll ask around tomorrow to see how it went.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:12 pm 

Found out using an import broker with something this big made the movement across the border smooth. Brokerage cost for this was around $500. More than the value of the things I had to deal with years ago.
There was no import duty involved, the car was deemed to be a donated Museum artifact.
It's located at the edge of yard 5 where the cranes can get at it for changing out the trucks for regauging.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm 

For those of you wondering where else these cars are preserved; it will come as no surprise that the Halton County Radial Railway outside Toronto has four of them. The #4204 is a three-truck version and the #4003, 4010 and the 4039 are the two-truck versions built by Hawker-Siddeley in 1979. They do not need to be re-gauged.

As far as the New England museums go, Seashore trolley Museum already has a Toronto Peter Witt streetcar, which they have re-gauged. And they already have a Boston LRV. But who knows?

Ted Miles