It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UP 4014 Makes Emergency Stop This AM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:01 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This is why you all need to head to see UP 4014 operating as soon as possible, no matter what former railroad it's on, no matter how much they spent, etc.

This morning, departing the overnight stop of Casa Grande, Arizona for the day's relatively short (80 miles, give or take) run to Tucson for tomorrow's public display, the crew made an emergency stop, with plenty of repeated, prolonged whistling before stopping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txo_M8IfoU8

According to an associate of mine:

Quote:
I was standing right the front of 4014 stopped. Ed quickly got out with his bullhorn and walked forward a couple hundred yards with U.P. Police and told everyone to stay back. Hundreds of idiots were standing near and even on the right of way. A fast moving westbound intermodal had just come through the opposite direction. The total time stopped was 8-10 minutes.

Post subject: Re: UP 4014 Makes Emergency Stop This AM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:34 pm 

Just gonna put this up here, while not from the current 4014 trip the comments write themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT9j2oK2Utg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:43 pm 

I would make the case that in this instance the "Steamboat Whistle" on UP 4041 is too pretty.

If I was in charge, I would think about adding a single chime "blatt" air horn on the pilot beam, nothing says "get the <bleep> off the tracks" like a air horn pointed right at you.

-Hudson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 pm 

For all the people complaining that Big Boy is running to slow and asking why Ed doesn't crank it up to full speed... this is pretty much my guess as to why. Better to go slow with enough time to stop if Ed spots someone on the tracks than going to fast to stop.

Also my bet as to why Ed is hanging out the window a lot while running 4014, increasing his forward visibility so he has a better chance to slam the brakes if he sees someone ahead. Also the bull horn thing is something my friends have mentioned they have seen Ed pack with him in Wyoming and Utah too... sadly this isn't the first time he's needed to use it to yell at people on the tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:09 pm 

Did they open the cylinder cocks as a warning device this time?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
This is why you all need to head to see UP 4014 operating as soon as possible, no matter what former railroad it's on, no matter how much they spent, etc.

This morning, departing the overnight stop of Casa Grande, Arizona for the day's relatively short (80 miles, give or take) run to Tucson for tomorrow's public display, the crew made an emergency stop, with plenty of repeated, prolonged whistling before stopping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txo_M8IfoU8

According to an associate of mine:

Quote:
I was standing right the front of 4014 stopped. Ed quickly got out with his bullhorn and walked forward a couple hundred yards with U.P. Police and told everyone to stay back. Hundreds of idiots were standing near and even on the right of way. A fast moving westbound intermodal had just come through the opposite direction. The total time stopped was 8-10 minutes.

Did they dump the air or flatten any wheels?

Bob H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 am 

Im not sure about those of you who have seen 4014 this year, but Ive seen numerous people do crap like that (Harriman in May would of made your blood pressure boil!). Its aways the foamers I hear, but EVERY time I saw someone doing it they are just the general public. I talked to several and they were just Joe down the road who wanted to see a steam train. Most of the 'foamers' Ive met have been courteous and responsible (most have a basic understanding of railroad safety). Anyone who takes a steamer on the main is likely going to get attention. Its got to be expected (although frowned on), and because of that Ed was prepared. I just hope nobody gets creamed by 4014. I could feel Eds blood pressure boil when laying on that whistle!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:41 pm 

There is a old saying in the railroad industry,"people get stupid around a train". I remember I was in the crew van once approaching a local switch job to take over for the new shift. Single locomotive going no more then 10 mph and a semi truck couldn't wait. Hit him right behind the cab and turned over truck and trailer on it's side. I said to him "you must be in some kind of big hurry that you can wait for a single locomotive. Now you are really going to be late".

I remember talking to Doyle McCormick (engineer of the SP 4449) and asking him what is the stupidest thing he has ever seen a railfan done. He said the the stupidest thing wasn't from a railfan but from someone from his own crew. Said the guy was hanging from one arm off a cliff, in a deep cut, and trying to take a photo as the train went by.

As for the idiot photographers that line the tracks far to close. Say something to them. I always do. I remember getting into a argument over some guy standing in the middle of the tracks. I said "what are you doing, get out of there the train is coming". He wouldn't listen so I said "you are way to close anyways and you pictures are going to suck. Get back and get the whole train". After that he got back a ways.

As far as the Big Boy. Installing a single air horn like the fog horn on the SP 4449 certainly can wake the dead and get people off the tracks. This one was used in a steel mill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPTVnAAN0Y