It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&NW #175 ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:07 pm 

Just got done looking at many photos on SRI face book page https://www.facebook.com/sribackshop/photos/ and am aware of the progress up to that point. Super heaters and tubes removed, boiler cleaned up and primered. Gridded for ultra sound and overall cleaned up for thorough inspection. Lake Michigan keeps getting in the way for me to get over to Lower MI and see for myself. Just wondering what they found so far as far as work needed. Spent time in #1385s boiler in the 70s and know about what they probably found. Hope they found some good surprises instead of the normal messes of thin & warped sheets and badly pitted crown. Have wondered about the barrel too. Looked her over and took pics about year 2000 and talked to Clint about her in 2004. But now the truth will come out where her boiler is really at. Think she has the C&NW diamond patch on belly. I'd have to look at my pictures to confirm that? So happy to see progress on #175. Hope my inquiry is not too intrusive?

Enjoyed the pictures on FB of both #175 and all the other goings on in the shop area. Thinking I need to go for a visit and hit a few other places while in that "forbidden" zone known as Lower MI. Regards, John.

Last edited by John Risley on Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: C&NW #175 ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:21 pm 

John,

Work on #175 is slow but steady and as time and money permit. Keep an eye out during this summer/fall for some exciting news regarding the project.

Nothing more than what was expected was found during the UT testing of the boiler and firebox. The frame and running gear will be brought into the shop shortly to permit disassembly, cleaning/inspection and reassembly before boiler work starts in earnest.

Thanks for your interest and support.

-Aaron

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

Post subject: Re: C&NW #175 ?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 pm 

Thanks for the come back. Glad no worse surprises then was expected. Can't help watching this one with great interest. Must be the valve gear eh? Thanks again. Regards, John.