It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seth Corwin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:24 am 

Seth Corwin passed away ten days ago. I am posting this here for those who may have not seen the discussion on Facebook. I did not post earlier because I thought one of the RYPN members with closer and more current ties to Steamtown National Historic Site would post.

Seth's accomplished life ranged far from his work at STEA. Besides the work at STEA listed in his linked obit, he set up and operated the live steamer operation at the site. For many years, when STEA hosted the NRHS' RailCamp, he'd have it all ready to go by July and would use it to instruct campers on the basics of firing and operation. The photo below shows him teaching RailCampers back in 2010. He'd keep the track in place for RailFest on Labor Day weekend, ferrying many happy families around in the area of the roundhouse and shop.

I had several conversations with Seth at the picnic table in which we discussed our balky hips and playing ice hockey. I had not seen him since just before Bob Patterson passed. It was after RailFest and they were putting away the live steamers for the season. I remember pausing to watch them work, quietly and smoothly in unison. I got the melancholy sense of time's irreversible march.

Seth was one of the people at STEA that I had great admiration for. My condolences to his family and his colleagues at STEA.

https://hpsmithandsonfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/941/Seth-Corwin/obituary.html#tribute-start

Attachments:
Seth Instructing Railcampers 2010.jpeg
Seth Instructing Railcampers 2010.jpeg [ 122.12 KiB | Viewed 3238 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seth Corwin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:51 pm 

Did not know or ever met this man. But as people age and move on I think it real nice that you mention his accomplishments an a final act. Many people are much greater than we realize and when they pass so much of their life contributions go unheard or mentioned. Often when your younger you miss this acknowledgment of those older people your around. Then when you least expect it, one day, you "resemble that remark". It is the same for all of us. Thanks for your posting this regardless of me knowing him or not. Thought if a "good deed". Regards, John.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:07 pm 

Seth was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I had the pleasure of learning to fire under his guidance in the summer and fall of 1983 in Vermont. I believe he also Fired the 759 on several trips in the early years as well. I am Shure he was involved in other steam endeavors as well. sorry to say I had lost track of him many years ago, my timing to visits in Scranton with his vacation always seamed to collide.

Now he is Steaming with Nelson B.

Al P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:44 pm 

A true gentleman through & through and a wonderful ambassador for steam. He will be greatly missed by all of us lucky enough to call him a friend.

R.I.P. Ross Rowland