It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam whistles anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:25 pm 

Rick A wrote:
Rick Rowlands wrote:
The Youngstown Whistle Blow is on October 12 at Youngstown Steel Heritage starting at 11 am.

Rick, how many whistles are typically brought to the whistle blow? Sounds like a fun afternoon although I assume it could be a little tough on the ear drums!

My notes from the 2011 event show at least 48 whistles were blown in at least three rounds. I no longer remember if I stayed to the very end, but I probably did. Bring lunch and good ear protection. Unfortunately I have a conflict this coming Saturday. If it was going to be Thanksgiving weekend I would have been there, as I have yet to see J&L #58 under steam.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:08 pm 

Wow. 48 whistles! I attended the yankee Steam Up yesterday and there were whistles blowing off and on all day, but not that many.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 pm 

I did get to hear mine for the first time.

http://www.railroad.net/download/file.php?id=20608

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 pm 

I get to hear steam whistles four times a day. Monday through Friday 7am, noon, 12:30 and 3:30pm. Swisher International's Mail Pouch tobacco plant in Wheeling WV has whistles that appear to have come from a river boat. Three whistles on a manifold atop one of their turn of the last centuries buildings. Classic brick factory buildings 5 and 7 stories tall. J.J. Young heard them while photographing railroads in Wheeling. This string is what got me to sign up after many years of reading the threads.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 am 

dieselloco wrote:
I get to hear steam whistles four times a day. Monday through Friday 7am, noon, 12:30 and 3:30pm. Swisher International's Mail Pouch tobacco plant in Wheeling WV has whistles that appear to have come from a river boat. Three whistles on a manifold atop one of their turn of the last centuries buildings. Classic brick factory buildings 5 and 7 stories tall. J.J. Young heard them while photographing railroads in Wheeling. This string is what got me to sign up after many years of reading the threads.

Not a heck of a lot of what were called "3 whistle chimes" being used. You are fortunate to be able to enjoy it. If you can please get a photo, it would help identify as more than one manufacturer offered them. You are correct in that this type was used to a fair degree in maritime service.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:34 am 

[quote="tom moungovan"][quote="dieselloco"]I get to hear steam whistles four times a day. Monday through Friday 7am, noon, 12:30 and 3:30pm. Swisher International's Mail Pouch tobacco plant in Wheeling WV has whistles that appear to have come from a river boat. Three whistles on a manifold atop one of their turn of the last centuries buildings. Classic brick factory buildings 5 and 7 stories tall. J.J. Young heard them while photographing railroads in Wheeling. This string is what got me to sign up after many years of reading the threads.[/quote]

Not a heck of a lot of what were called "3 whistle chimes" being used. You are fortunate to be able to enjoy it. If you can please get a photo, it would help identify as more than one manufacturer offered them. You are correct in that this type was used to a fair degree in maritime service.[/quote]

Here is a Youtube video that shows the whistle blowing at the very end. The whislte is composed of three whistles on a pipe manifold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lsTTdxVmNg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:45 am 

tvrm349 wrote:
tom moungovan wrote:
dieselloco wrote:

Not a heck of a lot of what were called "3 whistle chimes" being used. You are fortunate to be able to enjoy it. If you can please get a photo, it would help identify as more than one manufacturer offered them. You are correct in that this type was used to a fair degree in maritime service.

Here is a Youtube video that shows the whistle blowing at the very end. The whislte is composed of three whistles on a pipe manifold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lsTTdxVmNg

Thank you for posting this. Much appreciated. Quite the rare bird this day in age.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:32 am 

dieselloco wrote:

Glad you joined. Do you collect whistles yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:39 am 

Another company that still uses the whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1M_VlGp3A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:11 pm 

[quote="Rick A"]Another company that still uses the whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1M_VlGp3A[/quote]

This is an old video. New York Wire is gone, but the whistle is still used on Christmas Eve, sometimes on air, sometimes on steam at different locations.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:57 pm 

Rick A wrote:
Another company that still uses the whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1M_VlGp3A

That's a fire alarm whistle and illustrates the movable piston inside the bell to change the
tone. Lunkenheimer made them & possibly other manufacturers did too.

I worked a job at Standard Oil Refinery No.1 Power Plant in Richmond, Ca that allowed
me to operate our 8" Lunk Fire Alarm whistle several times when working day shift.
It was later given to me after we quit using it account of noise complaints. I passed it
along to a younger friend right before we moved out of CA in 2014. He had worked in
the refinery as well so it went to a good home. The bell was fabricated from copper
and the round top was yellow spun brass.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 pm 

I don't collect whistles, just enjoy the sounds! In Ford City Pennsylvania the ELJER pottery works had a steam whistle and it was loud!!! We were told to be home when the whistle blew! I just wanted to know if any industries still used them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:36 pm 

There must be some old factories around that still do, although I would doubt they are being run off of steam.

Here's one.
https://libguides.cmog.org/corning/whistle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:24 pm 

Folks,
The Pratt Institute was one of the last places making its own steam heat and electricity in Brooklyn, NY. So for many years in the 1970s and 1980s they had a whistle blow on New Years Eve. The manifold was set up with steam boat, factory and railroad whistles of all sorts. In addition to the sounds the sight of all that steam in the cold was glorious.

Their generating plant was built in the 1890s; but made DC so the modern fluorescent lights and AC elevator motors caused it to be retired.

It was a great memory!

Ted Miles, steam fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:32 am 

Gunlocke of Wayland, NY was still using their factory whistle as of 2013. I left the plant then and do not know what their boiler room situation is anymore.

One of two of their plant boilers was undergoing overhaul at the time.

They used the whistle for special occasions, along with being utilized as their "all clear" signal for the fire alarm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next