It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLRG 1114
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm 

Does anyone know what happened to FP10, SLRG 1114? I cannot find photos of it past 2008? Was it renumbered?

This is the locomotive that operated on the Indian Head Central and was at a Maryland power plant for a number of years.

Ryan Kertis photo from April, 2008 while it was at Barr Yard:

Post subject: Re: SLRG 1114
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:02 am 

It has SLRS spray painted on the cab. So it was sold to the San Luis & Rio Grande Railroad. Not sure if it is still on the current roster. This railroad has been a savior of the old F units including saving the Minnesota Zephyr dinner train which nearly was cut up for scrap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:35 am 

When I was at IPH the 1114 had been shipped to Railco in Iowa for a rebuild. Work was started but then stopped and the last I new the unit had been shovel out behind their shop and was sitting out in the weather.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm 

The last I saw, heard it was a EX-I.C.G. NEE-G.M. & O.RR, to MBTA to CAPE COD and HYANNIS RAILROAD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Cod_ ... s_Railroad then ? RR Ilost track of this loco until a photo popped up here.

Mr. Starr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:49 pm 

Steven Butler wrote:
When I was at IPH the 1114 had been shipped to Railco in Iowa for a rebuild. Work was started but then stopped and the last I new the unit had been shovel out behind their shop and was sitting out in the weather.

Thanks for the lead!
I was able to do some digging and I found that #1114 is still at Relco in Albia, Iowa.
#1114 is sadly not in good shape.
Sam Brodersen drone shots from 2017:

I actually first found out about this locomotive in 2008 while watching the short-lived History Channel show "Extreme Trains." It can be seen in the background in a few scenes of the Circus Train episode.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:19 pm 

That's a shame. I always liked the FP10's. Looks as if they wanted to convert the loco back into a F3 appearance.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:43 pm 

I remember when No. 1114 was at the Indian Head Central. I was aware that it had air brake system problems, its fuel gauge didn't work, and during a passenger run one evening it would no longer operate in reverse. It would go forward, but not reverse. It was also belching out dirty oil from its top that would rain down on the cap of the engineer or fireman who stuck his head out of the locomotive's windows during movements. And these were just the problems I knew about as an outsider with friends in the company, not an active volunteer.

The operation lasted about a year and folded, I believe, in late 2000 when the base commander pulled the plug. (The IHC operated over otherwise unused Navy-owned tracks between the base at Indian Head and the CSX interchange in White Plains, MD. The route is now a bike trail.)

In 2007 I was south of the base on a tour of the Morgantown (MD) Generating Station and saw No. 1114 in the yard. Rust was eating into it and it just didn't look very good up close. I asked our host if it was being leased and used but he said no. It was stored there and he preferred that it be gone, but he didn't have contact information on the owner. I provided that to him and, as you can see by the photo at the beginning of this thread, it was on its way in 2008.

I don't know what became of it in Iowa or why it ended up behind the shop, covered with rust, but my guess is that it had so many problems that the expense of trying to make it fully operational and reliable again wasn't justified by the revenue it might earn somewhere. This would be much like when your old clunker of an automobile, as much as you love it and have driven for years, is just no longer worth the money it constantly costs to keep it going, when one thing after another is breaking down. Finally you just have to say, "No more."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:26 pm 

Oh yeah, the HEP didn't work either. The work-around was to strap a wheeled generator onto a Navy flatcar, couple it onto the front of the locomotive, and run a cable from the generator to the locomotive.