It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Odyssey of Quincy Station
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:15 am 

Originally located on the Cumberland Valley Railroad in Quincy, Pennsylvania, this small Victorian station has been on the move. James Fouchard tells the story of the station's odyssey from neglect to loving restoration.

http://thetracksidephotographer.com/201 ... -the-move/

Edd Fuller, Editor
The Trackside Photographer
http://thetracksidephotographer.com/

Post subject: Re: The Odyssey of Quincy Station
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:38 pm 

Edd -

Thanks for posting the story of the Quincy station. What might be overlooked in the story is the reference to the "combination grain elevator/freight house" that is seen in the photo of the depot when it was still on live trackage in 1948. These combination stations/elevators have pretty much disappeared these days although I think one still might exist in Pleasant Lake, Indiana where the Little River Railroad once ran before its move up to Michigan.

Les

Post subject: Re: The Odyssey of Quincy Station
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:25 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Edd -

Thanks for posting the story of the Quincy station. What might be overlooked in the story is the reference to the "combination grain elevator/freight house" that is seen in the photo of the depot when it was still on live trackage in 1948. These combination stations/elevators have pretty much disappeared these days although I think one still might exist in Pleasant Lake, Indiana where the Little River Railroad once ran before its move up to Michigan.

Les

I also thank Edd for posting my article on Quincy Station. In my conversations with Paul Westhaeffer I never did get a positive confirmation that the grain elevator was still in operation in 1948. I do know that the D.M. Wertz Orchard Packing House, whose loading dock you can see just to the left of the Station, in that 1948 photo was still in operation and that building still stands today. The elevator buildings had vanished by the time the rails had been pulled up in the late 1970s.