It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PRR X29 boxcar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:11 am 

I agree, I think the road number did not turn out spaced correctly. A six digit number should be spaced more widely. We didn't notice until it was all done.

It sure does look like the EW and EH data did got swapped, I had not noticed until it was pointed out here. I'll take the proof-reading failure on that one.

We had joked during the process of laying out the lettering that we should photo shop the lettering onto a photo of the blank car then post it so "the internet" can critique it for us. I guess we should have done that.

Jason Lamb
Everett Railroad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:44 am 

Jason,

The important part is you got it done, and it looks great. had we known the RMNE could have provided some info, as we have a similar car that was in express service. it was done many years ago. at this point our car needs some serious metal work and a repaint.

I have done artwork for many cars and locomotives and find that passing the initial artwork around to several eyes, with a photo of a similar prototype is well worth it. none of the stuff we are working with is a font file, however I believe the Pennsylvania RR stuff has style documents around, and the style often varies with the letter height. did you paint the lettering on or just use vinyl stick on? if its vinyl then a quick fix can be had.

I do have several sizes of PRR alpha number drawings in auto cad if it would be helpful. I do not have this particular car in the computer. the only one I have is for a H-39 hopper

AL P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm 

That's a great looking X29. As usual, the Everett people have done a great job.

Here's a couple of images from 2010, showing RMNE's X-29 (express car version), and one of our B&M XM-1 single sheathed cars, posing with FC 75 for some freight photos at Thomaston, Conn. The old Plume & Atwood brass mill building in the background is now gone.

Our car is now rusting though the lower side sheet patches applied during PRR days (1950s?) to these cars. Time for some in-kind repair work.

We used original PRR lettering drawings for the letter and number alphabet, and a general arrangement drawing for the lettering layout for the express car version (which ours actually is).

Howard P.
MP 6 on The Naugy
Attachment:
dsc_5136 resized.jpg
dsc_5136 resized.jpg [ 207.61 KiB | Viewed 1960 times ]

Attachment:
dsc_5167 resized.jpg
dsc_5167 resized.jpg [ 204.64 KiB | Viewed 1960 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:55 pm 

Alan Maples wrote:
We have learned over the years that the Standard Railroad of the World was none too standard about many things and compromise is inevitable with projects like this.

Yep! As one of our illustrious moderators likes to call them, "The Standard Railroad of Non-Standards".

Slightly off-topic, but I have some photos I think you'd like to see, of your car 912 when it first arrived in Titusville and when it was repainted as the Swordsmen's Club. Goodies from the James Stevenson collection!