It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One to Watch: Corry RAILS
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:42 pm 

So this is an older article from June, but where I recently represented Corry RAILS at the Amherst Railway Society's awards event for their grants for the year, and never having seen it come up here, I think it's high time that they get some recognition here for what they're trying to do. The linked Go Erie article gives a very good synopsis of what the group is trying to do.

https://www.goerie.com/news/20190615/co ... ngine-home

But of course, some of you probably want to know what I'm rambling about without having to go to more than one place. So for that sake, a brief overview is in order;

Corry RAILS is working to bring a complete Class A Climax back from Alaska. While the engine is in a few pieces at the moment, all the parts are there. As I understand it from talking with Carl the parts that were taken off are all tagged with paper tags that document where on the engine they came from, so we're not talking about some half-hearted attempt at a restoration. Some serious work was going on to the Climax in question, A-313. Of course, while the goal is to see the engine steam again, it needs to be brought back to Corry, PA (where A-313 was built) first. The group has raised a substantial amount of money and is easily within shooting distance of their goals to bring A-313 back to Corry,PA.

Stay tuned to more on Corry gentlemen... As far as projects go, this is easily one of the most intriguing ones I've seen in a long time, and one I'm more than happy to plant my flag down in support of.

Post subject: Re: One to Watch: Corry RAILS
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 pm 

Considering it's the last original class A in known existence, this is a pretty amazing feat. I hope they are able to pull this off. It's also narrow gauge so it's about as rare as you can get in the Climax world.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53 pm 

OK, Dylan, I'll be watching you... you've heard the saying "Be careful what you wish for".

CONGRATULATIONS, and best of luck to you, and VIVA Class A Climax !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 am 

Strange that with the posting here, several news stories (paywalled or not) and an Internet search, no one has provided actual contact material for making a donation.

I'm sure they could get a significant contribution here just by selling $5 Climax Club cards ... I know I want one.

Please provide some method of communication with this group.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:25 pm 

I haven't seen Climax 313 since it was here in Seattle many years ago. When I reported it there was quite a stir in the fan community. Somewhere around here I have some detail photos taken before it was shipped back to Alaska.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:43 pm 

Overmod wrote:
I'm sure they could get a significant contribution here just by selling $5 Climax Club cards ... I know I want one.

Careful - sounds like a customer rewards program for a strip joint. But, he's right - we need to know how to help if you expect help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:42 pm 

Overmod wrote:
Strange that with the posting here, several news stories (paywalled or not) and an Internet search, no one has provided actual contact material for making a donation.

Please provide some method of communication with this group.

Carl is my point of contact at Corry, however I do know there's a Facebook page and website in the works. I did have postcard fliers that I had left at the Amherst Railway Society, and I've attached a copy of it here. Admittedly I should've done that in the first post, so my apologies. It completely slipped my mind.

Attachments:
Climax A313 fund raising postcard-1-final2-8-2019-rsz1000.jpg
Climax A313 fund raising postcard-1-final2-8-2019-rsz1000.jpg [ 219.04 KiB | Viewed 4824 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:29 pm 

Wow.... Thanks Dylan.... and thanks for Repping us at the Amherst Event... good having you onboard.

Gents, bare with us for a bit... this has been a two year journey getting to this point and other than coming on here when someone alerts me to check something out, I just haven't been on this site much... certainly will be more in the future.

There are so many irons in the fire over the past months pulling this off... and so many loose ends that are slowly coming together... we will have a Facebook page up soon (been saying that for over a month now, but it will happen)... then followed by a Website. Over this last year we have been raising funds locally through private donations, Funds and Foundations, business's and local service Clubs, and now that we have gotten to this point... a signed Purchase Agreement in place... we will be getting all of you involved in the project as well. So far it has only been 4 of us working on this project for the last two years... a 5th key person joined us last week... so we are beginning to fill the slots in our master plan and structure.

YES... Climax A-313 is coming home!!! A year ago we were in Alaska on an inspection trip. We were hoping to be up in Alaska right now packing her up to ship home... this was our second of three possible windows for 2019... our third window, the end of Sept. can't happen either because of too many people on our Rescue Team having conflicts in schedules. There are no more windows in 2019 (the last 3 Novembers have had high temps of 37... not compatible with re-packing where it is at.) The current plan is for the Team to be in AK packing, probably, in May, 2020... no later than July.

Donations are certainly appreciated... don't have a Paypal set up yet for Corry RAILS (soon)... I will post a postcard here which you can download... info on the bottom as to where to send donations, and how to make it out... tax deductible, of course... receipts will be sent... much appreciated.

... and "Overmod"... yes... there is a $5 "Climax A Club" Card.... I will post a photo as well... and you will see a bit of the history behind it... those too are available... add either a SASE or 50 cents for postage and will be happy to send one out. Once our pages are up there will be an information sheet... so we have contact info for donors and club members. So please if you send for one, please include name, address (of course), phone #, email address for notifications, and any other good info you would like to share.

Thanks guys... I will try to be on here more often, now that "the Golden Lady" is locked in. You can always email me at corryrails@gmail.com
Got to go... Carl W

Attachments:
Climax A313 fund raising postcard-1-final2-8-2019-rsz1000.jpg
Climax A313 fund raising postcard-1-final2-8-2019-rsz1000.jpg [ 219.04 KiB | Viewed 4787 times ]
CR_A_Club_Cards_59-19-WASs08575-lvl-c1-rsz800.jpg
CR_A_Club_Cards_59-19-WASs08575-lvl-c1-rsz800.jpg [ 175.73 KiB | Viewed 4787 times ]