It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: UPRR 3985?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:58 pm 

Tom F wrote:
davew833 wrote:
There is also future plans to turn the old round house into a museum that will be part of the Cheyenne depot experience. From my understanding they will be building a pedestrian bridge from the depot to the roundhouse.

That would be great if the city of Cheyenne and UP come together to start a museum with the 4004 4-8-8-4 and 1242 4-6-0 too with 5511 and 838.................................maybe 3985 but i think hes restored 3985 in the future

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:20 pm 

The big wrote:
Tom F wrote:
davew833 wrote:
There is also future plans to turn the old round house into a museum that will be part of the Cheyenne depot experience. From my understanding they will be building a pedestrian bridge from the depot to the roundhouse.

That would be great if the city of Cheyenne and UP come together to start a museum with the 4004 4-8-8-4 and 1242 4-6-0 too with 5511 and 838.................................maybe 3985 but i think hes restored 3985 in the future
Getting 4004 out of the park would be one heck of a chore, but we've seen that UP has no problems moving Big Boys over land!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:31 pm 

Depending on the current state of the Challenger, it could be a really nice display to show a locomotive that’s not restored in the roundhouse. Open up the front and let people get an idea of what goes into restoring and maintaining the locomotives.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:54 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
Are the Ex Rio Grande F units and the E8 (9?) still there? Also I found this thread over on trainorders,. (to his “followers” over here, it doesn’t contain a lot of rude things directed toward Ed.) That thread is fairly on topic and according to a few seniors at UP besides you know who, UP 3985 will NOT be apart of the steam program for the foreseeable future. Hopefully she will be loaned or donated somewhere instead of sitting in the roundhouse with 5511 and 844. To bad she wasn’t loaned to Rail Giants in California in place of the 4014 to begin with. Then her fate would have been chosen back in 2014 and we wouldn’t have all these threads with complainers. But hey, at least she is safe even if she won’t be restored!

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... 10,4837358

I believe the only F and E units left are one ex Amtrak E unit (booster), one Union Pacific E unit with no trucks, and one ex CNW F unit. There is also one operational Union Pacific E unit, and B unit. This drone shot is very accurate of what is left there now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzug5VjuKLg

As far as the Train orders website. That website is one of the worst and most inaccurate websites as far as information goes. One member in particular who shall remain nameless, was fired from the Union Pacific steam program due to his poor attitude, profanity during public events, and other reasons. He has remained bitter and ticked off ever since and constantly flames Ed and the Union Pacific steam program. There is several others in this clan who post nothing but negative information.

For the last 16 years I have been taking a scrap book with me when I ride on train excursions. I have the engineer and fireman sign the book. One discussion on train orders involved the Reading 2100 and the endless bashing Tom Payne was getting. I was working at Ceeco as a locomotive mechanic and personally knew Tom and the work he was doing on the 2100 on our property. Many people blasted the Reading 2100 including saying it was unsafe and how they wouldn't get 100 feet by it.

So I pulled out my scrapbook to see who signed for the fireman and checked his previous posts to narrow down where he came from. Sure enough that same guy who was flaming the 2100 and said he wouldn't get 100 feet from that locomotive was the same guy who was the fireman that day! I made him look like a total jackass when I said I have your signature here in my book.

Speaking of my book the only and only person who refused to sign it was that same individual who was fired from the steam program. If he is reading this I am glad you didn't sign it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:23 am 

I don't see the two hopefully still operable E9A's in that drone footage (#949 and #951).

I just see the restored B unit that's still looking sharp despite just sitting these days (Restored as the 963B because they didn't realize until she was painted that it was actually the 970B), the unrestored E9B (Union Pacific 966B, still in Amtrak colors), and Union Pacific E8 928 sitting derelict as a parts unit.

So 5 E units on the property and the lone stored F unit now that the Rio Grande F9B went west to become a rotary snowplow power unit. Doesn't seem to be right to call the three E9's active anymore, but the two hopefully operational E9A's that I assume were inside the roundhouse that day, the hopefully still operational E9B, and the derelict E8A and E9B parts units should all still be on the property.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:30 am 

LeoA wrote:
I don't see the two hopefully still operable E9A's in that drone footage (#949 and #951).

I just see the restored B unit that's still looking sharp despite just sitting these days (Restored as the 963B because they didn't realize until she was painted that it was actually the 970B), the unrestored E9B (Union Pacific 966B, still in Amtrak colors), and Union Pacific E8 928 sitting derelict as a parts unit.

So 5 E units on the property and the lone stored F unit now that the Rio Grande F9B went west to become a rotary snowplow power unit. Doesn't seem to be right to call the three E9's active anymore, but the two hopefully operational E9A's that I assume were inside the roundhouse that day, the hopefully still operational E9B, and the derelict E8A and E9B parts units should all still be on the property.

It looks like all three were running in 2016 from this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrygX0TaSsE

I walked through both E8's that are parts sources and they were both in very poor condition. Hopefully the B unit can be salvaged as it is in the better condition of the two.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:52 pm 

I give up. This thread has all the hallmarks of being suffocated in FOAM! I had hoped to learn something useful about the status of 3985, but it is now obvious that no useful information is forthcoming. EVER.
If you don't know, DON'T reply. DON'T speculate. If you DO KNOW, share what you can but DON'T expand beyond what you know.

I will revisit this thread in a few days, reluctantly, because I am certain that nothing will change and the foam will only be several fathoms deeper.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 pm 

You ok there buddy? Need a cookie or something?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:25 am 

I asked Ed about 3985 last Sunday at West Chicago. He said "3985 will not be restored." I asked if that was just because of funding and he replied, "We have two locomotives."

I will leave it to others to discuss the veracity of that statement in view of others he's made and the supposed ordering of parts, etc. Or maybe he just wanted to see how fast something he said made it all over the internet. Maybe a better question is "why should they restore it?" They're a business and steam as a promotional tool goes only so far and this is the age of PSR and shaving costs. Can spending big money on a third engine be justified?

Forever is a very long time and maybe there will be a point in the future where it makes sense to run it again.

Attachments:
eddickens.jpg
eddickens.jpg [ 83.26 KiB | Viewed 5896 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:10 am 

Quote:
He said "3985 will not be restored." I asked if that was just because of funding and he replied, "We have two locomotives."

Sad to read this but we have a Big Boy alive so

Hoping 3985 will be display indoor in Cheyenne because this city is the only place where she stand like 1218 is display in Norfolk....

Cheyenne need a Railroad Museum and i think the UP Steam shop and the city has the rolling stock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:20 am 

The big wrote:
Quote:
He said "3985 will not be restored." I asked if that was just because of funding and he replied, "We have two locomotives."

Hoping 3985 will be display indoor in Cheyenne because this city is the only place where she stand like 1218 is display in Norfolk....

Cheyenne need a Railroad Museum and i think the UP Steam shop and the city has the rolling stock

N&W 1218 was cosmetically restored after the end of the first NS Steam Program. She now resides with N&W 2156 (Soon to be departing for MOT) and N&W 611 (Soon to be heading north to Strasburg) in ROANOKE. Just to clear it up, the big three are in Roanoke, not Norfolk. 3985 will hopefully remain inside the UP Roundhouse until her call to duty is made, which won’t happen in the foreseeable future...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:23 am 

Yes, I think it's best that UP retain her. Some have called for them to turn it over to some other party to restore and operate but really, who would have the resources? That runs the risk of the engine in pieces and it never being completed. Plus, if various parts are now on 4014 they would need to be replaced and the logical source would be the 4014 parts which UP would unlikely give up. So it would get very costly. And the same issue about 3985's tender which now "tends" to 4014. Best they keep her and maybe some day her time will come again. Lets just hope they don't try to scrap her.

And of course, where would it run even if restored?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 am 

The big wrote:
Quote:

Cheyenne has the Depot Museum right across the street from the Roundhouse. Others have mentioned long term plans of building a pedestrian bridge from the museum to the roundhouse. This would be really cool since this is a working steam roundhouse owned and operated by a mainline railroad.... I mean it's got to be one of, if not the last in the world. Having access to that space to see the engines when they are being worked on would be a great attraction for the museum and for the city.

Is this an actual plan? Or just wishful thinking?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:14 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
Lets just hope they don't try to scrap her.

Really!!!! Just think many museums wait in the line to get 3985 if UP has this idea

Quote:
the big three are in Roanoke, not Norfolk.

Yeah sorry my mistake

Quote:
Cheyenne has the Depot Museum right across the street from the Roundhouse. Others have mentioned long term plans of building a pedestrian bridge from the museum to the roundhouse. This would be really cool since this is a working steam roundhouse owned and operated by a mainline railroad.... I mean it's got to be one of, if not the last in the world. Having access to that space to see the engines when they are being worked on would be a great attraction for the museum and for the city.

Is this an actual plan? Or just wishful thinking?

Yes is true but why not more that my opinion

Just imagine the size of museum with display (together)

4-6-0 1242
2-10-2 5511
4-8-4 838
4-6-6-4 3985
4-8-8-4 4004(Out of Holliday Park is not easy but why not)

Just add some Diesel and rolling stock too

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:17 pm 

The walkway is wishful thinking and was to connect the roundhouse to the depot coupler building. Fact is UP do not want public on or near their property, the idea was a glass walkway to view the interior of the roundhouse, and eventually steam shop but no physical public access and this would alleviate the constant pressure for shop tours. UP dont want a bridge across their tracks or at least didnt back in the 90s.

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next