It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UPRR 3985?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:28 pm 

Well in the 90’s UP didn’t want a Big Boy and wanted a Challenger running. Things change!
Also in the 90s the current museum did not exist.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm 

The news about 3985 was saddening, but if that was the price to restore and operate a 4000 it’s worth it in my opinion. My question revolves around the DD40X and the E9‘s. Hopefully UP decides to keep them in operable shape and not mothball them like they did 3985. Retiring the E9‘s, DD40X, and 3985 just to have a 4000 in operation is a extremely high price to pay. Hopefully Ed and the guys will get the new wheel sets for the E9 set so they’re up and running and get the DD40X on the rails once in a blue moon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:52 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Well in the 90’s UP didn’t want a Big Boy and wanted a Challenger running. Things change!

My mistake i should have said 2000s fact remains the same there is no money interest or UP backing for this idea. I know i was on the Depot museum board until 2 years ago.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:55 pm 

JayZee wrote:
The news about 3985 was saddening, but if that was the price to restore and operate a 4000 it’s worth it in my opinion. My question revolves around the DD40X and the E9‘s. Hopefully UP decides to keep them in operable shape and not mothball them like they did 3985. Retiring the E9‘s, DD40X, and 3985 just to have a 4000 in operation is a extremely high price to pay. Hopefully Ed and the guys will get the new wheel sets for the E9 set so they’re up and running and get the DD40X on the rails once in a blue moon.

Let's not forget that UP donated the old SW10 steam shop switcher #96 to the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in late 2016. So they are slowly disposing of unneeded equipment.
It is still operational and was briefly used by the Oregon Pacific Railroad in Milwaukie, Oregon last summer; which is where I took this photo in August 2018.

Attachments:
IMG_8550.jpg
IMG_8550.jpg [ 295.47 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:15 pm 

car57 wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

My mistake i should have said 2000s fact remains the same there is no money interest or UP backing for this idea. I know i was on the Depot museum board until 2 years ago.

Mike

Ahh ok. Yeah I’d say you would know. Too bad, sounds like a good concept. Maybe one day they will consider it for a good political move with the city / state.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 am 

It's good we got some information right from the top on the #3985. I know from some of the previous videos I was watching, Ed had a constant barrage of questions concerning the #3985. Probably was getting tired of people asking him about it. I would think the exhausted crew wouldn't be too happy spending another year rebuilding a locomotive very similar to what they just finished. Not a nice thing to do to such a dedicated crew after working non stop for years. I would have a hard time just asking them to do it. We need to enjoy the Big Boy and stop worrying about the #3985 which the majority have already seen.

We must remember the #3985 already had years of work previously done to it after it went down in 2010. The steam crew claimed it was 60-70% complete. I personally saw extensive work done to the front and rear truck. From the information I gathered, much of the locomotive was still in specs but likely wouldn't make it another 15 years with out another overhaul. I think they decided it would be best to do a ground up restoration instead of pressing their luck with what was already there.

Still the question remains with the #844 in excellent condition, and the Big Boy totally rebuilt, what are they going to do now? Last I heard the DD40X was running on only one engine although this would likely get sent to North Platte for work.

As far as the roundhouse to museum conversion. I do remember they had quite a big display in the depot with photos, drawings, and information detailing how the roundhouse would become part of the depot experience. I spoke to several officials who were there for about a hour telling them how I thought this was a great idea. I did ask them about crossing the railroad tracks and he told me there was two options. One (and most likely) was the pedestrian bridge. The other was simply driving to the roundhouse where there is already a road. There would be no access to the steam shop or another other parts of the yard. Fences would surround the area of the old roundhouse.

The whole depot/roundhouse experience came from the city of Cheyenne and not Union Pacific. They see it as a major tourist attraction in a city with little to do. As many of already know, the yearly visits to the steam shop have become unbelievable popular giving the city of Cheyenne a nice boost of cash. I would suspect the ongoing environmental clean up probably stopped the roundhouse project dead in its tracks. Who is going to sign a lease until that is finished?

One thing seems to be clear. Much equipment has moved off the site in the last few years and I suspect what ever is left is going to be put into the old roundhouse for display. All the work is now done in the steam shop as the old roundhouse is essentially empty except for the locomotives. Tracks have been removed and not replaced. All indications that Union Pacific is likely to lease or donate the roundhouse to the city of Cheyenne in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:06 am 

Ed was a little more specific 'in my earshot' in West Chicago. The issue with 3985 appears to be primarily the high cost of running it through the 'total quality' process that would be involved in a rebuild. The idea isn't to 'get rid' of the third engine (it's a historical treasure) but to avoid putting what is at least several million dollars into a restoration that (a) is redundant capacity for goodwill expeditions and (b) would have its 1372-day clock ticking the day it's complete.

The Big Boy is one of the most iconic locomotives in American, can run almost anywhere the Challenger can, and has been fully restored for reliable long life. The issue of refurbishing 3985 has been delayed until the Big Boy approaches its own 1372-day; the locomotive certainly won't be shoved outside to rot, or be plinthed or scrapped, in the meantime. And yes, when the time comes, UP has a documented procedure for getting the job done well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:46 am 

Overmod wrote:
... The Big Boy is one of the most iconic locomotives in American, can run almost anywhere the Challenger can, and has been fully restored for reliable long life. ...

Having witnessed the interest 4014 created across Iowa this week, the return on value in the form of publicity is amazing. In chasing, I started to skip the towns where it stopped after seeing the crowds. Town populations must have doubled, tripled. You could track the location of the train by watching the traffic speeds on Google Maps. Every road crossing was loaded with many people. A couple we stopped at had turned into a party atmosphere. Locals had set up a grill on a closed highway bridge (riveted truss, wood deck, paved over) over the tracks and were having a grand old time... like a big family reunion.

I wonder if 3985, when it came to town, had the same impact. I wonder if 4014 will the next time?

Hidden, but visible if you looked, was the disruption to operations. Freights stopped outside of towns, police attempting to manage crowds. The yard crew who stopped their morning switch duties to watch the steamer leave town.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:44 pm 

Okay, let's step back and realize what we're reading here...
UP, in a move that would have been science fiction just a decade ago, just fully restored a Big Boy to operation and have been running it...
...and yet, people are griping that they're not immediately going to get 3985 back on the rails in the same way?

Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:59 pm 

I agree. The 4014 is the apex in steam locomotives. Let's be happy that there is a fully restored and operation big boy roaming around in the 21st century.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:27 pm 

I don’t see people griping.... UP had publicly said they would end up with all 3 locomotives operating as part of the program. That has apparently changed... and that seems worthy of both discussion and some dissappointment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:03 am 

Overmod wrote:
Ed was a little more specific 'in my earshot' in West Chicago. The issue with 3985 appears to be primarily the high cost of running it through the 'total quality' process that would be involved in a rebuild. The idea isn't to 'get rid' of the third engine (it's a historical treasure) but to avoid putting what is at least several million dollars into a restoration that (a) is redundant capacity for goodwill expeditions and (b) would have its 1372-day clock ticking the day it's complete.

The Big Boy is one of the most iconic locomotives in American, can run almost anywhere the Challenger can, and has been fully restored for reliable long life. The issue of refurbishing 3985 has been delayed until the Big Boy approaches its own 1372-day; the locomotive certainly won't be shoved outside to rot, or be plinthed or scrapped, in the meantime. And yes, when the time comes, UP has a documented procedure for getting the job done well.
This makes a certain amount of sense. The program needs to have two operating locomotives and there is no need to start on the third until its overhaul will be completed before one of the others will run out of 1372 days or 15 years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:09 am 

Class 1 railroads aren't keen to run steam on their rails, so the fact that a Big Boy is operational is a very nice thing and we're lucky that it is. Sure, I think anyone would love to see the Challenger and Big Boy double head, but maintaining 3 steam locomotives is a lot of work, even for UPRR. I don't think it is a "never say never" situation and I certainly don't see #3985 being scrapped. Time will tell. For now I think we should just enjoy the Big Boy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:07 pm 

1. Plans change. I see no reason why people should take 3985 not being restored now as completely immutable, especially when inspections often put engines out of work.

2. The idea that UP would scrap a steam engine that is 1 of 2 in this day and age is crazy. They've donated a lot, and god knows the social media shitfest if 3985 is cut up.