It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ALCO FA cabs in preservation. What is the current status of
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:52 am 

Most of the readers here are aware of the gathering of the last ALCO FA1 & 2 cabs on the LIRR as power cars, during the early 1970's. Some of those cabs retained their 244's other had them replaced with Detroit Diesel power generating "sleds". At the time when these cabs were retired as power cars, most were purchased and and re-sold to museums and collectors. I know of two FA2's which are currently being restored as locomotives, and two FA1's being readied for the same restoration. These are all in southern New Jersey. Would people with knowledge please chime in with reports on the restoration or status of those other FA's which were distributed around the country? You can include ex-VIA FPA4's in the listing, allow the FA1 & 2's are my primary interest.

Which are operating as locomotive?
Which are operating as cab control cars?
Which are restored as static displays?
Which are being restored for operation?

Post subject: Re: ALCO FA cabs in preservation. What is the current statu
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:00 pm 

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FIRMDieselShop%2Fvideos%2F1181410358682947%2F&show_text=1&width=560" width="560" height="555" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

I don't know if the link will work, but check out the IRM diesel shop facebook page. They are into FA-2 L&N 314

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:56 pm 

Here is the list from trainsarefun.com. Keep in mind this hasn't been updated in some time so take it with a grain of salt.

Attachment:
Alco-Survivors-Cabs.jpg
Alco-Survivors-Cabs.jpg [ 159.12 KiB | Viewed 13900 times ]

I know SP&S #866 is at Portland, OR being restored by a private owner. Western Maryland #303 is owned by Gerald Altizer currently in storage while Western Maryland #302 is under restoration at the West Virginia Central. GN #442A was recently purchased from Septa by a group in West Virginia. Elliott will have to discuss the Bridgeton units further.

Last edited by Cameron Wolk on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm 

Western Maryland #303 is on the George's Creek Railway. Currently a cab car but some major components are on site for it's restoration..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:52 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/IRMDieselShop/ ... 358682947/

"January 26 · Union, IL The Louisville and Nashville 314 (ALCO FA-2) progress now includes control power. Here is a short video of relays and contactors as the throttle is notched. Work continues, however, additional funding is needed to keep the project moving along at a steady pace. Your donations are what keep projects like this and other projects like the Milwaukee Road 33C restoration going. Your help is invaluable to these efforts! Thank you in advance for your support!

You can help here:

https://www.irm.org/donations/louisville-nashville-314/"

Note: I am not connected in any way with IRM (though I have been lucky enough to visit there and am an Illinois native).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 am 

NH 0401,

a lot of work was done years ago but still has a ways to go. Still retains it's 244. Currently work was stopped and is in long term storage, no timeline set to get back to it. Much more pressing work and projects to be done before reconsidering working on it again. Plus the line it's on a single direction unit isn't the most practical so that also keeps it far down on the list of projects besides the scope of work it needs.

NH 0428,
static display, no plans of any work that I have heard. Has lost it's 244 for the skid in the rear and carbody modifications. Basically saved from scrap and preserved as is for now. Would need far, far more work than 0401 plus where to find a good 244. Best ideal use would be to use it as a cab control car, repair the body and maybe undue some of the mods done and repaint it. *if* wanting it to be operable would be best to make it 251 powered for easier support, but the cost of work needed I see it staying a static display.

L&N 315,
currently stored on the DL's deadline awaiting further work and a return to full operation. Retains it's 244.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:02 am 

Also dont forget the ex Via Rail FA's used out on the Napa Valley Wine excursion train in California. Not sure whats under the hood(244 or 251) but both are powered and I believe may have a HEP genset in rear of the carbody to provide the "hotel" power for the trainset. Mike the Aspie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:25 am 

These are 251 powered and converted to run on natural gas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:58 am 

AlcoGuy wrote:
These are 251 powered and converted to run on natural gas.

Only 1 unit runs on natural gas, and it was converted to a 12-645.
I believe all the Napa Valley Alco/MLW units (nee-SP RS11 and the FPA4s) are stored pending disposition, same story with the Grand Canyon units.

CD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:54 pm 

In the list provided, it should also include CN 6765 (FPA4) in the section for Exporail / Canadian Railway Museum.

Len

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 pm 

Here is the full list of all preserved ALCO/MLW cab units:

http://www.thedieselshop.us/Alco%20Survivors-Cabs.pdf

There are more FPA-4/FPB-4 units than everything else put together. Not surprising since the CN/VIA units were the last big fleet in revenue service, lasting into the late 1980s.

EDIT: I see that list erroneously states that CN/VIA 6765 went to the Grand Canyon Railway. Here is proof that it is preserved in excellent condition at the Canadian Railway Museum:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/469686/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:35 pm 

Is this one still at the Delaware-Lackawanna shops in Scranton (DL #596)?

It was looking a bit sorry for itself back in September 2011, but I found a photo online from a couple of years ago that indicated some restoration work had been done on it.
Attachment:
11-2926.jpg
11-2926.jpg [ 183 KiB | Viewed 13283 times ]

Additionally, VIA #6763, shown in the posted list (2010 dated) at Danbury had obviously gravitated to Scranton by Sept 2011.
Attachment:
11-2931.jpg
11-2931.jpg [ 177.31 KiB | Viewed 13283 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:27 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
CREEPING DEATH wrote:
AlcoGuy wrote:
I believe all the Napa Valley Alco/MLW units (nee-SP RS11 and the FPA4s) are stored pending disposition, same story with the Grand Canyon units.

From what the GCRY CMO there has told me, and official documents confirm:

GCRY FPA-4 6793 and FPB-4 6860 are currently operable, serviceable, and in reserve, but are not preferred due to their lack of dynamic brakes. When they run, they run as trailing power. I have witnessed both in operation at some point this year.

FPA-4 6776 is on display at the Grand Canyon South Rim station, drained with no batteries.
FPA-4's 6762, 6768, and 6773 and FPB-4 6871 are stored at the GCRY shops sidings. They are all officially "out of service" though there is nothing wrong with them that would prevent them from operation if needed--although 1-2 have never seen GCRY operation and are still in VIA colors. But because of the lack of dynamics on a railroad with 3% grades, they are effectively "replaced" and are theoretically available for sale.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:46 pm 

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad's fleet!

CVSR 6771, CVSR 6777 and B&O 800 are all running last I checked. All are FPA-4s and operational. They also have 6767, but that was a parts donor and now a shell.

Can't remember the heritage of B&O 800 off the top of my head, just that it spent some time on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad in WM colors prior to coming to CVSR.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:06 pm 

jettrainfan wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad's fleet!

CVSR 6771, CVSR 6777 and B&O 800 are all running last I checked. All are FPA-4s and operational. They also have 6767, but that was a parts donor and now a shell.

Can't remember the heritage of B&O 800 off the top of my head, just that it spent some time on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad in WM colors prior to coming to CVSR.

"B&O #800 was the VIA #6780... painted at the WMSR in the B&O paint scheme.......