It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinion: The Ethics of Nonprofit Railroading
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm 

Ethical behavior and the appearance thereof should be the gold standard that governs and permeates all actions and decision-making in this business.

I want everyone in the railroad preservation world to know that I have resigned as Chief Financial Officer of Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad in Folsom, California because the current board of directors has refused to address OR TO EVEN DISCUSS factual evidence of various potential accounting irregularities I discovered and presented at a recent EMERGENCY meeting of the board called specifically for the purpose of reviewing such behavior. The Secretary has also resigned over similar concerns.

As a matter of good conscience, I can no longer be associated with such an organization, and I intend this to be a warning to all 501(c)(3) nonprofit tourist railroads and museums.

Even if behavior is not illegal, it can appear to be unethical, and even the appearance of impropriety could be devastating to fundraising efforts and even potentially result in legal liability.

Stay vigilant, folks.

Last edited by mikeroque on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Opinion: The Ethics of Nonprofit Railroading
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 pm 

From the jest of your message, and the alternate-year filing with the CA Sec. of State last May (available on-line), you must have recently became the Chief Financial Officer of the organization. And then undoubtedly became aware of the improprieties you refer to.

This does not sound like a good situation. I wish you well. And hope that the organization resolves its situation.

We must all be vigilant and transparent to avoid even the slightest impression of improprieties or unethical conduct.

Post subject: Re: Opinion: The Ethics of Nonprofit Railroading
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 pm 

Mike,

I feel for you, having been through a similar situation. I know this sounds extreme, but I suggest you consult with a lawyer. It is in your best interest to have advice on what you can and can't say and what you need to do to protect yourself and your personal assets.