It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RR rolling stock being let go Stuhr Museum
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 pm 

I saw a interesting post on fb regarding a very local museum. Stuhr Mueum which has many wooden and steel steam era rolling stock, turn table, etc is apparently finally letting go of their railroad stuff according to the unconfirmed information. They have a small collection of wooden freight cars and maybe passenger equipment, several heavyweights and other various pieces.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1012697 ... &ref=notif

Post subject: Re: RR rolling stock being let go Stuhr Museum
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm 

Didn't see anything on this Facebook reference, however, from some internet photos, the museum apparently has Union Pacific 2-8-0 # 437, a wood bodied coach and a U.P. wood cupola caboose. Some other older photos show a couple of heavyweights in background photos, but nothing that could be identified. Didn't see any wood freight cars but they may be left over from the old 3' gauge display railroad that was once there.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:46 am 

The museum has in their collection a Pullman Plan #3585 10 section-1 drawing room-2 compartment sleeper, the Lake Crystal, which was 1 of 47 such sleepers built in 1923 in Lot #4725, and 1 of 25 from that Lot specifically built for assigned to the Sunset Limited, but it was ultimately sold at the Pullman divestiture on 12/31/1948 to the UP, along with 2 others from this Lot, the Lake Caillou (also one of the cars initially assigned to the Sunset Limited) and the Lake Champlain (initially assigned to the B&O). UP donated the Lake Crystal to the museum in either 1962 or 1965 after retirement.

Sources:

1. "The Complete Roster of Heavyweight Pullman Cars" by Robert J. Wayner (Wayner Publications, 1985)

2. "Passenger Car Catalog: Pullman Operated Equipment, 1912-1949" by William W. Kratville (Kratville Publications, 1968)

3. Tom Madden's Pullman Project CCR database: http://pullmanproject.com/Database.htm

4. Don Strack's Utah Rails website, page on Pullman heavyweights acquired by the UP: http://utahrails.net/pass/named-heavyweight-sleepers.php

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 am 

Only the heavyweights and a caboose are currently going as i understand.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:12 pm 

Ted -

Thanks for the info on the "Lake Crystal". From photos, there seems to be 3 heavyweights on the property. One appears to be an RPO/baggage.

Finding info about this stuff is difficult. Here is a photo I turned up on F&CC # 65 which former employee Paul Dalleska restored well over 10 years ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevewhite/4722652388/

Car still looks good in this 2010 shot. Also note the narrow gauge car coupled up to it. A more recent internet note I found, mentioned the restoration and display of a narrow gauge Colorado & Southern baggage car. Could find no photo of that car. There was a photo of a D&RGW box car # 3346 and what appeared to be a Burlington way car riding on n.g. trucks. Perhaps that is the caboose Mike mentioned as "going". There also was a photo on one site of a Burlington & Missouri River Railroad (Burlington Route) stock car which might also have been narrow gauge, but perhaps not. That car appeared in "rough" shape and I'm not sure how old that photo was. Anyway, IF some of this equipment is "available", I did not see any references to it being so offered.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:33 pm 

Lake Crystal was donated after UP retired it in June 1965. I have updated my roster listing.

http://utahrails.net/pass/named-heavywe ... ke-caillou

Don Strack
http://utahrails.net/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:25 pm 

I'll start by saying I have no current affiliation with Stuhr and anything I say should be considered speculation based on information that is dated over 15 years ago.

I suspect the cars being made available were the Lake Crystal, a Harriman roof combine, a Harriman roof full RPO, and the caboose is a UP car that was gutted for a display. All four cars were deaccessioned around 2002 but due to more pressing issues and turnover of the BOD and staff it never progressed beyond the initial board action. These cars were all outside the scope of the collections policy and needed more care than the museum could justify at the time.

all of the narrow gauge freight equipment is ex D&RGW painted for local historic flags of the period. I'm told that the F&CC #65 and the C&S baggage car are currently isolated inside the restoration building due to poor track conditions. The ng caboose is a CB&Q waycar on ng trucks.

That's all I can dredge up from the memory right now.

If you're interested contact the museum.