It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RDC-1 Replacement Windows
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 pm 

Anyone out there operating an RDC have experience with replacing and/or retro-fitting the side windows on their cars? Our two RDC's have the double-pane, 1/4" thick "glass" (now lexan) inside a two-piece frame that is held together by many small machine screws. We're looking to replace or retro-fit the widows to single-pane safety glass.
I've been in contact with Dynamic Metals (successor to JT Nelson) and they actually quoted me the retro-fit kit that they make to fit within the existing frames. The problem is, many of our existing frames are in bad shape. Never mind the HUGE amount of labor involved in removing, dismantling, cleaning, repairing, then re-assembling and installing said window....times 22!
I'll be contacting Dynamic Metals again to ask about a new complete frame/window assembly, but was just wondering if anyone has already gone that route and has the requisite knowledge.

Thanks!

Lenox, MA

Post subject: Re: RDC-1 Replacement Windows
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm 

You might want to check with the Reading & Northern Railroad. They have a couple of RDCs they use in excursion service and I understand they have replaced the standard sealed windows with ones that can be opened. They may have a pile of the old ones lying around.

http://www.rbmnrr-passenger.com/summer