It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:54 pm 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Site for New Jersey Railroad Museum / URHS equipment dis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm 

As a resident of the state of NJ, I can simply answer....doubtful.

The state is broke, well into the red and has some of the highest taxes in the Country.

I just can't see politicians getting behind a project that would cost tens of millions in land acquisition, building construction and perpetual maintenance, when there is a real threat to state and teacher pensions that will be out of money within 20 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 pm 

Robert J wrote:
When I was younger I was optimistic about this but sadly with each passing year it seems more and more unlikely. Hoping I'm wrong here! Does anyone here think there ever will be a permanent 'New Jersey Railroad Museum' established someplace in the Garden State?

I recall riding an excursion to Flemington to benefit the Museum back in the late '80s.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 pm 

Robert J wrote:
I am starting this thread as this particular topic did not really fit neatly into the other thread's main topic. 'Scranton Yard' in another thread posted the following:

Scranton Yard wrote:
NJ has many great rail-related artifacts and a rich rail transportation history. Unfortunately, these artifacts have no appropriate facility to house them and to present them in a manner in which they can tell their story.

" ... At that time the United Railroad Historical Society was busy saving NJ related railroad equipment and storing same at various non-public locations. They were searching for a site where a permanent 'New Jersey Railroad Museum' could have buildings and displays which was. It is now 2019 - 28 years later - and no true progress seems to have been made for securing a location. ... "

" ... When I was younger I was optimistic about this but sadly with each passing year it seems more and more unlikely. Hoping I'm wrong here! Does anyone here think there ever will be a permanent 'New Jersey Railroad Museum' established someplace in the Garden State?"

To answer your question posed immediately above in one word: Yes!

However, in order for this to occur, the constant haranguing over a "lack of museum site" needs to be refocused with a "new" outlook and vision. In order to begin anew, we must first come to terms with the reality of the present situation.

Back in 1888, Ernest Lawrence Thayer concluded his well known poem with the following:

"Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Casey has struck out
."

In order to begin anew, with a new focus and outlook, those who truly desire to see a museum built in NJ need to all first admit that the Mighty Casey (a.k.a. the URHS, et.al.) has struck out. That game is over.

It is time to realize that instead of trying to win a game which has long since concluded, we need to realize that a new season has begun. We need to look at a museum effort in NJ as if it was the start of spring training, and not the end of the pennant race, or World Series.

The URHS / Friends of NJ.T.M. / (fill in the group) have long been focused on building a museum complex in NJ modeled after the State RR Museums in California and Pennsylvania. This focus has actually come at a substantial cost. If a Museum modeled after the successful museums in Illinois, or Kennebunkport had instead been pursued, we might actually now have something to show for nearly 30 years of effort.

Now I know certain parties will come on here and say "Well, they (URHS, et.al.) looked at everything, not just a large state-funded museum complex." I can tell you, the focus of the current museum efforts are still viewed through the same prism, and remain held largely by the same players that have long held the belief that a State museum will only get built when "Casey steps up to the plate". They have always viewed the State of NJ as "Casey", and not themselves as the party that really needed to step up to the plate.

In NJ, we need to stop dwelling on the outcomes of past seasons, and begin a new season. After 30 years, we also need to finally realize who the player is that really needs to step up to the plate. Casey has struck out too many times.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:31 am 

Eric S Strohmeyer wrote:
In NJ, we need to stop dwelling on the outcomes of past seasons, and begin a new season. After 30 years, we also need to finally realize who the player is that really needs to step up to the plate. Casey has struck out too many times.

Well, they need to do something because they've been standing still for the past 30 years despite some excellent restorations like Hickory Creek.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:32 pm 

Lack of state funding and backing aside, the biggest hurdle is that you cannot get any of the current owners of rail equipment to come to a consensus of where it should be located. This topic has been discussed in the past and it will never happen.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:19 pm 

Robert J wrote:
I am starting this thread as this particular topic did not really fit neatly into the other thread's main topic...it seems pointless to restore equipment which then is stored outside for years where it starts to rust away again.

Beyond stabilization and encapsulation to protect from the elements, I agree with the latter part of this excerpt from your post. That is why I raised the issue in the Trenton Transit 288 restoration thread.
Mr. Ed wrote:
Lack of state funding and backing aside, the biggest hurdle is that you cannot get any of the current owners of rail equipment to come to a consensus of where it should be located.

This is correct. Too much focus has been on one particular location vs another particular location and not enough on building consensus on the attributes of a potential site such as required acreage, proximity to a large market, proximity to other attractions with co-marketing/synergy possibilities, support of local government and business leaders, availability of transportation options such as a nearby interstate and/or train station, and access to live rail for excursions. Building consensus on site attributes prior to a site search is one key to sustainability.

Another issue is that there is no clear vision as to the organizational structure of the operating organization once the transportation heritage site is built.

Land is getting scarce in NJ, but for many years in the '80s and '90s, a reasonably sited location could have been had at a feasible cost. A lot of this land was nice relatively flat farmland. Potentially usable/available track mileage has also decreased substantially. It seems that it would now be much more difficult to find a sizable lot close to the larger markets, transportation, live rail, and other attractions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:15 pm 

Sorry to say it but this idea's time has come and gone. I served on the NJ RR Historical Commission in the mid 90's with 10 other volunteers. Our mission was to lead the effort to establish a NJ Transportation Heritage Center.

In 1995 I put together a coalition of state politicians lead by Sen. Bill Schluter ( R-Hunterdon) and several potential corporate sponsors and a business plan to locate the Center in the under used state owned Liberty State Park.

Sadly and defying all common sense the Commission voted to locate the Heritage Center in Phillipsburg NJ.

That killed all sponsorship interests as no one goes to Phillipsburg to recreate. And that killed the whole thing as it was obvious it would.

The chances now with the State basically bankrupt and the Commission moribund of ever getting it done are somewhere between slim and none....and slim has left town.

Sad but true. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:55 pm 

co614 wrote:
In 1995 I put together a coalition of state politicians lead by Sen. Bill Schluter ( R-Hunterdon) and several potential corporate sponsors and a business plan to locate the Center in the under used state owned Liberty State Park.

There has been so much noise on this topic in the past 30 years that I'd forgotten about this. Liberty State Park would make sense since they already have the CNJ station. The only problem would be salt air corrosion.

Wouldn't Phillipsburg be too close to Scranton?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 pm 

Given the collection at hand and the inability to relocate it, what are some practical preservation solutions?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Given the collection at hand and the inability to relocate it, what are some practical preservation solutions?

Communipaw Terminal is out of the question, the Park Service with its environmentalists wants nothing to do with a railroad museum on-site. That horse has been beaten to death too many times. The site at Boonton currently has plans for restoration of the nearby spur into the old ironworks using a trolley like operation. I was with Bill McKelvey last year surveying the property with one of the town officials, it looks very promising. The warehouse across the bridge is planned to be used for storage of the URHS motor vehicle collection and special events. The URHS is not dead (yet) and there are projects in the works but time is indeed slow.

Cameron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:24 am 

I find it interesting that while the debate goes on relative to a new site in NJ for a transportation museum, a potential jewel within the state, the 60 year old NJ Museum of Transportation/Pine Creek RR looks to be in trouble. The attached was obtained via the OPRA process. Have your cash ready for a sell off by the looks of this.

Attachments:
March 2019 Letter 20190304145656885.pdf [788.93 KiB]
Downloaded 633 times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:54 am 

Liberty State Park would only work if the sitting Gov. got behind it. The Park Service people work for the State of NJ and if the Gov. said that there will be a Transportation Museum there they'd all click their heels and say " yes,sir".

However under today's realities it would appear that the Boonton solution may be the best that can be hoped for. Better than nothing I guess.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:38 am 

JR May wrote:
I find it interesting that while the debate goes on relative to a new site in NJ for a transportation museum, a potential jewel within the state, the 60 year old NJ Museum of Transportation/Pine Creek RR looks to be in trouble. The attached was obtained via the OPRA process. Have your cash ready for a sell off by the looks of this.

Whoa, I did not realize things were so bad over there!
Could this turn into another potential "Indiana Transportation Museum" situation?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 am 

NS 3322 wrote:
JR May wrote:

Whoa, I did not realize things were so bad over there!
Could this turn into another potential "Indiana Transportation Museum" situation?

Probably!

Later!
Mr. Ed