It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for detailed trap hinge drawings from Pullman Spec
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 pm 

I have obtained a Pullman Specification Sheet from the Newberry Library that lists Pullman drawings for a Lot 6031 10S-2DR sleeper (1926 build date). In particular I am looking for a detail drawing for the outboard bracket that supports the trap door pivot(hinge).

In the Pullman Specification sheet I believe (having to guess as there are not pictures or images):

Trap Door Hinge Bracket (outer) 6-A-93 Issue D

There are a few other drawings that seem like they might be related, helpful, or relevant:

Trap Door Lifting Device Detail 24-C-84 Issue A

Trap Door Hinge Bracket (inner) 22-C-83 Issue C

Trap Door 146-D-3 Issue A

Trap Door Lifting Mechanism 27-E-42 Issue A

My guess is that the issues changes may not have been significant so finding an earlier or later issue probably still helpful.

Not interested in spending lots of money on a wild goose chase on this, but I am not wanting to "re-invent the bracket" if I don't have to; so, I wanted to see if anyone had a source and was willing to share to save me some effort.

I don't care if the drawings are not Pullman originals - anything redrawn by other railroads is fine. Close up pictures of the bracket could be a useful substitute.

From my observations it appears that the bracket was secured to the car by 6 smallish bolts (1/4" to 3/8" max) in two vertical rows, if that helps. The bracket was a vertically elongated "U" shape as best I can tell.

Thank You

Last edited by SteelGrinder on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking for detailed trap hinge drawings from Pullman Sp
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:04 am 

Your best bet is to contact the IRM Pullman Libarary with an email detailing your questions and request. Fees are reasonable for copies of these original drawings, should they be available.
https://www.irm.org/pullmanlibrary/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

I would be interested in what you find and would be happy to share our research.

We need to (re)install trap doors on our private car, Ellsmere... She is the last Wagner built in Dec 1899... Built as a wood car, but with a Commonweath steel underframe applied in c.1914, and many other upgrades over her service life... we have two of the three trap doors, in poor condition, and possibly a full set of hinges and such...

While not a Pullman, she was cared for by Pullman for her owner Dr Seward Webb, who was on the Pullman board of directors.

The car is kind of special, and I would like to do better than a couple of quick wieldments.

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:14 am 

I will see what I can find out and let you know. It sounds like your application is a bit different but it may match for you as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 am 

Was able to measure up some dimensions on the trap hinge at another museum - it is a start that will be a work in progress (e.g. to start a drawing) and may need to be adapted for a particular car. Still a work in progress . . .