It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&O Museum 1830s 4-4-0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 pm 

Hello, just a question for the masses.

Recently, I found this photo of the B&O Museum taken at an unknown (to me, at least) date. In it, is what appears to be an 1830s style Campbell 4-4-0 locomotive. I can't seem to find any information on this locomotive, it's survival, or preservation. I'm guessing the photo was taken sometime after the second world war, as one of the Merci Train boxcars is visible on the left. It's possible the locomotive was a mock up, rather then a true Campbell. Can anyone shed some light on what we are looking at? As well as what this locomotive's fate was?

Post subject: Re: B&O Museum 1830s 4-4-0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:33 pm 

That's a wood 1:1 model made for "Major" Joseph G. Pangborn to be part of the B&O exhibit at the 1892 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. I believe it was destroyed in the 2003 roof collapse at the B&O museum.

It is, indeed, a full-scale model of an 1838 Campbell 4-4-0 built for the Philadelphia, Germantown and Norristown RR (now part of SEPTA). It was the first 4-4-0 but was a failure because its suspension was not equalized and it was derailment-prone.

Here's a photo of Peoples Railway #3, which is an 1842(?) Eastwick & Harrison (also of Philadelphia) 4-4-0 that has Harrison's patented equalized driving wheel suspension that made multi-driving axle locomotives possible. This actual engine is at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.

http://www.readingrailroad.org/profiles ... m_pr3.html

Phil Mulligan

Post subject: Re: B&O Museum 1830s 4-4-0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 pm 

Yes, the user above was correct. The model is an 1892 Pangborn.

It was destroyed in the 2003 roof collapse.

Contact the museum if you want more information.