It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pullman Troop Sleepers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm 

Greetings everyone. I work with a museum that is interested in acquiring a troop sleeper for our collection. Finding a car with an intact interior is preferred, but we will also consider stripped cars if the location and price is right. We are located in Ohio and would prefer to find an available car this side of the Mississippi, if possible (the closer, the better). Does anyone know of any troop sleepers (or perhaps troop kitchen cars) that might be available?

Thanks for your help,
Bill Hanslik Jr.

Post subject: Re: Pullman Troop Sleepers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:51 pm 

There was a U.S. Army diner at the North Carolina Transportation Museum. It was part of Jack Showalters Virginia Central Railroad in Staunton, VA. There were a few Army cars there in Staunton. They were all roller bearing truck donors, and were sitting on tie cribbing when i saw them. I wonder if they are still there?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 pm 

The Mahoning Valley Railroad Heritage Association made a post on Facebook back in July of 2018 that they were making available a former Erie Lackawanna Pullman troop sleeper.

Per the post on Facebook:

"As we continue our efforts to consolidate our collection at the Marter Yard site, we have decided that three pieces of rolling stock no longer fit into our plans. These three pieces are now available for sale and are located in Struthers and Youngstown, OH.

The first is a wooden caboose. Originally built for the Bessemer & Lake Erie then sold to the Youngstown & Southern. It is in poor condition but the right person could restore it. All of the metal hardware is accounted for.

The second item is a 45' long Pressed Steel flatcar. Similar to the PRR FM flatcars except five feet longer. Has arch bar trucks and K type brakes. Ideal for an early 20th century photo freight.

The third item is a former Erie Lackawanna Pullman troop sleeper that has been converted to a camp car. This was part of the first order of troop sleepers built and originally had the center stairwells. The interior has been subdivided and was last used by the EL signal dept. The outer shell, roof and underframe is all in good condition. Equipped with Allied Full Cushion Trucks.
If interested in any of these pieces, please send a message to us or contact Rick Rowlands. We have a deadline of the end of this year to sell and remove the cars. We do not want to see these scrapped. We will entertain any offer that results in a fate other than scrapping."

The deadline in the post has already passed, but maybe it is still available? I'm sure Rick will know more.

Best of luck on your search!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 pm 

Jacob Carey wrote:
The Mahoning Valley Railroad Heritage Association made a post on Facebook back in July of 2018 that they were making available a former Erie Lackawanna Pullman troop sleeper.!

Yes it was also posted here in the RYPN Classifieds:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42176&p=278552&sid=b767d506dbdc48c7fa626e6720cbcf82&sid=b767d506dbdc48c7fa626e6720cbcf82#p278552

It appears that Mr. Hanslik PM'd Rick Rowlands about the EL Troop Sleeper on 11-29. So either nothing came of it or his organization wants a second?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:49 pm 

Thanks for your suggestions regarding the car owned by the Mahoning Valley group. Yes, I contacted them but did not receive a reply so we are still looking.

Bill Hanslik Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:37 am 

Thanks Scranton Yard! I must have missed the post in the Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:11 pm 

That car was sold to a group from Salamanca last fall. We have a second troop sleeper but are planning to keep it to use as a workshop car.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 pm 

There was a gentleman in Northwest, Ohio named Victor Geckle who had one up for sale two or three years ago. I think he almost had it sold, but Victor changed his mind at the last minute. I do not know if he still has it or if he is willing to part with it now. I think it was in pretty good shape too. He's on Facebook if you want to give that a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:42 am 

k5ahudson wrote:
There was a gentleman in Northwest, Ohio named Victor Geckle who had one up for sale two or three years ago. I think he almost had it sold, but Victor changed his mind at the last minute. I do not know if he still has it or if he is willing to part with it now. I think it was in pretty good shape too. He's on Facebook if you want to give that a shot.

That car is long gone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:15 am 

There was one for sale from Greater Cincinnati, at Latonia KY. Did it ever sell?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:35 am 

Also a lead of dubious quality, there is an old listing on the semi-defunct Railswap site. http://railswap.org/osc/classifieds/ind ... em&id=1831

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:40 am 

I think Southern Appalachia Railway Museum's
#24 boxcar is a rebuilt troop sleeper. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 pm 

Tavor wrote:
Also a lead of dubious quality, there is an old listing on the semi-defunct Railswap site. http://railswap.org/osc/classifieds/ind ... em&id=1831

That's the same car I was referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 pm 

k5ahudson wrote:
Tavor wrote:

That's the same car I was referring to.

Here is a screenshot from a 2013 YouTube video featuring the troop sleeper. It is apparently of Detroit and Toledo Shore Line heritage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNrg7LhxqfQ

Attachments:
dtsl.JPG
dtsl.JPG [ 72.91 KiB | Viewed 7408 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 pm 

Thanks for all the input everyone! I took a look at the car on the Facebook page at Southern Appalachia Railway Museum but the boxcar pictured does not appear to be a troop sleeper to me. Here is a summary of the troop cars brought up thus far:

Sleeper: Youngstown OH, Mahoning Valley, sold
Sleeper: Grand Rapids OH, Victor Geckle, sold
Diner: NC Trans Museum NC, Showalter Collection, no trucks
Sleeper: Scranton PA, Steamtown, availability?
Sleeper: Latonia KY, owner? availability?

We definitely desire a car with the original allied full cushion trucks. I will attempt to contact someone at Steamtown but as I understand, they are presently without a Superintendent and thusly may not be deaccessioning any equipment for a while.

Please keep your suggestions coming and thanks to all who have responded so far!

Bill Hanslik Jr.