It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Source for Oil Cans?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm 

Hello all,

Is anyone aware of a source for new, long spout railroad "engineer" style oil cans? We have a small stock of originals that we use on a daily basis, but which are very much showing their age with increasing leaks and stopper valve issues. We have used modern "squirt" type oilers with longer spouts - but lets face it, they do not look the part, nor are they truly as versatile as the real thing for getting those hard to reach spots.

Thank You,

Andrew Dean
CMO Frisco Silver Dollar Line
Silver Dollar City, LLC.
Branson, MO

Post subject: Re: Source for Oil Cans?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:23 pm 

I'm not sure anyone makes a modern version. I picked a vintage one off ebay for the railroad that wasn't too expensive. It had a perfect spout. That might be your best bet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:01 pm 

McMaster-Carr has a nice selection of long oilers and car oilers, though they call them "hand held oil dispensers" and "pitchers". Try searching "Oil Cans" on the website.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:19 pm 

Paul Boschan wrote:
McMaster-Carr has a nice selection of long oilers and car oilers, though they call them "hand held oil dispensers" and "pitchers". Try searching "Oil Cans" on the website.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hand-pump-oilers
https://www.mcmaster.com/oilers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:59 pm 

Well crap. I donated the old MP oil can with the long spout to the Iron Spike Museum in Washington, MO a couple months ago.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:30 pm 

It would mean importing from the UK, but you might like to do a search for "Hetherington Lamp Company", of Welshpool, wales.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:06 pm 

sleepermonster wrote:
It would mean importing from the UK, but you might like to do a search for "Hetherington Lamp Company", of Welshpool, wales.

http://www.hetheringtonlamp.co.uk/

Very nice, but I would bet not cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:21 pm 

Again in the U.K. traditional oil bottles and feeders, no website but e-mail is norfolktinman@btinternet.com. Their ad. is on p.100 of the Feb. issue of Steam Railway.
Another supplier is https://footplateequipment.co.uk/herita ... urers.html
Ray.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:55 pm 

Those British cans are nice tallow pots, but nothing like the typical long-spout oiler the OP is looking for. This one's not too bad, but if you're patient, you can probably find something with a better spout:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Railroad-Long-Spout-28-Tall-Oil-Can-Oiler/173765498650?hash=item28753b171a:g:z5UAAOSw-FRb9OWo:rk:6:pf:0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 pm 

Any theories as to why every long oiler that comes to mind has that very same dent on the upper portion? I've used plenty of them, and thinking to when this stuff was an everyday tool, I'm sure just about every single one was thrown out of the cab or dropped in between the frame at some point, not to mention they always leak at the bottom seam or develop a crack on the neck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 pm 

That's called Patina, John..... or Wabi in Japan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 pm 

JohnHillier wrote:
Any theories as to why every long oiler that comes to mind has that very same dent on the upper portion? I've used plenty of them, and thinking to when this stuff was an everyday tool, I'm sure just about every single one was thrown out of the cab or dropped in between the frame at some point, not to mention they always leak at the bottom seam or develop a crack on the neck.

I understand that the bottom seam would leak because it'd get overheated sitting on the little shelf over the fire door, melting the solder...

As far as the crack on the neck, probably from being too eager to move to the next lubrication point instead of taking the time to properly remove the spout in the same manner it was inserted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 am 

mrwalsh85 wrote:
As far as the crack on the neck, probably from being too eager to move to the next lubrication point instead of taking the time to properly remove the spout in the same manner it was inserted.
Sounds painful...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 am 

JohnHillier wrote:
I've got two oilers, neither of which has the dent. However, I have the same question about the dents you see in the jars of red pepper flakes in pizza joints. Are these jars dropped that frequently?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am 

Also, the air compressor jackets in quite a few Baldwin builder's photos in the early years of the last century aften had the same horizontal dent as though some fixture BLW used to hang them always bore against the same spot. They were always all the more conspicuous to me due to everything else on the engine looking showroom fresh.