It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick Question on Hi-Ball Switch Heater
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:34 pm 

The news reports on "its so cold that the railroad has to set it's track on fire" has reminded me about my Hi-Ball switch heater. I figure that this would be an appropriate topic for a post on the QARRS fb page for today, however I can't find much info about them online and I'm not sure how these kind of heaters would be positioned around a switch. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Post subject: Re: Quick Question on Hi-Ball Switch Heater
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:47 pm 

This switch heater would be placed in the space in between the ties so the wick area is under the rail in the moveable point area of the turnout. The ballast would need to be dug down enough for these to fit. There would be several of these placed either in every other or every third crib on each side.

These were used to keep ice/snow from building up between the point and stock rail during snow fall events.

What the news reports are most likely referring to is the section crews using a fire rope to heat the rail to expand it in order to close up a gap to replace bolts that have been sheered off due to the rail contracting. I have worked on many broken frog bolts and bolted joints in continuous welded rail territory during cold snaps.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 pm 

The news media is reporting both. I have seen a photo of burning the rope in one article and a photo of gas fired switch heaters on some double slips in another article.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 pm 

The photo I've seen was in Chicago, where they had several double slip switches on fire, either fuel poured right on or burning rags, with the commuter trains going right over the flames.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:11 am 

Railbreaker wrote:
This switch heater would be placed in the space in between the ties so the wick area is under the rail in the moveable point area of the turnout. The ballast would need to be dug down enough for these to fit. There would be several of these placed either in every other or every third crib on each side.

Ed

There also should be fireproof cement boards nailed to the ties in the cribs adjacent to the flame area the protect the switch timbers against catching fire.

The digging out the cribs should include drainage away from the area or you will have a frozen pond in the switch panel area. Switch rods do not move when encased in ice.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 am 

Using diesel soaked rope to heat rail has to be one of the most God-awful stinkiest and dirtiest jobs. I've often wanted to try using diesel soaked sawdust instead, it couldn't be any worse!
Ned