It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A first restoration project
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:07 am 

Alright Everyone, So I know in the past I've made some wild propositions, such as building a new Y6B, restoring Southern Railroad 1401, etc..., And While I'm still working on those projects, I've decided to take a step back and look at something a bit more feasible. Hailing from Winston-Salem, NC, there's a former Illinois Central 0-8-0 (#3525) masquerading as a Southern Engine (#1894) in the nearby town of Clemmons. I had the idea to restore it to operation as a first project, If it's feasible that is. There is not a single 0-8-0 in service, and it's lack of pilot or trailing trucks, combined with it's LONG wheelbase makes it not so ideal for running on light rails. (Just ask Stone Mountain Georgia.), there's also cost, transportation, and a load of other things I've got to look at as well. But at the VERY LEAST, if it ends up not being feasible to put it back under steam, I WOULD like to give it a cosmetic restoration at the very least. Image

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: A first restoration project
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Alright Everyone, So I know in the past I've made some wild propositions

Now there is an understatement.

Why don't you try something simple first. Like a caboose or a boxcar. Get your hands dirty, try to find funding, get beat up by the town council, have vandals ruin your hard work. Then maybe look at something larger.

C.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 am 

Ok. I’ll bite. I am by no means a restoration expert nor have I ever lead an effort to restore a piece of railroad equipment. I have participated in some restorations though. Here’s a few questions to get you started. There are much more to consider, but here ya go.

Who owns the locomotive?
What do they want to do with it?
Will they allow you to work on it?
Who’s going to help you?
What are the owners’ terms/requirements for you and your workers to do the work?
Insurance?
Environmental concerns/considerations for restoration?
Will they make a deal to allow it to operate?
Where will you operate it?
How do you get it there?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$??????

Cosmetic restoration may be a good start for you. You might eventually go as far as breaking down the running gear and appliances, cleaning, lubricating, and reassembling them as well. That should be more than enough to keep you busy and it’ll give you an opportunity to get your feet wet in restoration. It’s no big road engine, but it’s no small task either. Commit and follow through. Personally, I’d start with something smaller.

Last edited by Mount Royal on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:06 am 

Cosmetic restoration of the locomotive as an I.C. 0-8-0 is a fine project to get your feet wet. A few things to check out before you entertain the project.
-Get some historic photos of the locomotive during its service life. If you can't get this specific loco, get some from the same series of engines.
-Explain how and why the loco was used, and why preservation is critical. Don't get emotional, never play the guilt card.
-Research your facts, data, and estimated costs. The last thing the owners want to hear is, "I know folks on the internet.."
-Look at what has to be done to stabilize the steel and clean out accumulations of cinders, grease, and garbage. Power washing is a good start.
-Lubricate everything. Oil, grease, chip rust, prime and paint. This is going to be huge, but totally worth it.
-Create a timeline to achieve you goals. Make it measurable (by August 31, this will be completed).
-Determine how you will pay for this in advance. Get companies to donate their products, create a sponsorship board.
-Go before the town council or board, and show maturity and capability. Prove you are insured before you start.

Report back to us. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:41 am 

I'm not sure how old your photo is but this blog from 2016 https://tarheeltrains.com/tanglewood-engine-in-clemmons-nc/ shows a locomotive that has been cared for. Find out who did the work and join them. Maybe you can help keep it looking fresh and lubricated. It would be good to get with a like minded group of individuals who have experience working on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:43 pm 

R. Hahn wrote:
I'm not sure how old your photo is but this blog from 2016 https://tarheeltrains.com/tanglewood-engine-in-clemmons-nc/ shows a locomotive that has been cared for. Find out who did the work and join them. Maybe you can help keep it looking fresh and lubricated. It would be good to get with a like minded group of individuals who have experience working on it.

That's a good idea... it would at least keep the locomotive in good shape.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:02 pm 

I stilln think your on the wrong path. Best choice would be to join a group that has equipment that you can learn skills from. Going into a project headfirst without any clue what your doing won't end well

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:06 pm 

Sorry to see this particular topic banished to the railfanning section.

Tweetsie, you are obviously eager and enthusiastic in your desires to get into preservation. That’s not a bad thing. Figuring out how to properly channel that enthusiasm and desire is what you could use some help with. You did what people suggested and picked a more realistic project and look what happened. It’s the responsibility of the older crowd to help foster interest and to educate the younger folks in our field. Instead, some prefer to dismiss youthful enthusiasm for lack of patience. We can be our own worst enemy. I hope you are successful in getting involved with a preservation effort and I sincerely hope you are able to hook up with some folks who are willing to give you a shot and pass their knowledge on. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:54 pm 

Tweetsie, why don't you get yourself over to the New Hope Valley Ry. in Bonsal, NC and help us get No. 17 back together? You could at this very moment be learning a heck of a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:41 pm 

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Tweetsie, why don't you get yourself over to the New Hope Valley Ry. in Bonsal, NC and help us get No. 17 back together? You could at this very moment be learning a heck of a lot.

I'd love to. I'd have to see when I have time though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:59 pm 

Well, Mr Tweetsie,

You sure seem to get the sourpusses to stand up and salute !!!

I'd say that IC 0-8-0 looks pretty big, but at least she doesn't have any asbestos on her. I'd also guess from the looks of that car behind her that somebody also has in mind running her. You might have company on your journey.

That's a really nice invitation from Steve G, you'd be doing very well to take advantage of it if you possibly can. Getting to know him and ACE steam mechanic Dave Lathrop will be extremely good for you at this stage in your preservation career.

Hang in there, best of luck to you,

Take Care & Work Safe

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:09 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Well, Mr Tweetsie,

You sure seem to get the sourpusses to stand up and salute !!!

I'd say that IC 0-8-0 looks pretty big, but at least she doesn't have any asbestos on her. I'd also guess from the looks of that car behind her that somebody also has in mind running her. You might have company on your journey.

That's a really nice invitation from Steve G, you'd be doing very well to take advantage of it if you possibly can. Getting to know him and ACE steam mechanic Dave Lathrop will be extremely good for you at this stage in your preservation career.

Hang in there, best of luck to you,

Take Care & Work Safe

Thank You for the encouragement! Looking at trying to volunteer somewhere this summer to get some experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:11 pm 

Some interesting facts about this engine...

In 1954 Southern Railway donated locomotive #542 to Tanglewood Park in Clemmons NC. The #542 is a 1903 Baldwin 2-8-0 built for the Southern.

The #542 was the last steam locomotive to operate at the Spencer Shops. Which is why....
in 1991 (pretty recently!) Spencer traded #542 for the IC 0-8-0 that is currently in the park.

Illinois Central 0-8-0 #3525 (the current engine at Tanglewood Park) was built by Baldwin in 1922. It has it's own interesting history I'm going to be researching next.

https://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=0-8-0
http://winstonsalemtimetraveler.com/2014/09/08/september-8/
http://locomotive.wikia.com/wiki/Southern_Railway_No._542

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 pm 

What an interesting engine!

The #3525 is an 0-8-0 built by Baldwin in 1923 for the Illinois Central.
#3525 along with sister #3526 were sold to DeBardeleben Coal Corporation in Alabama in 1952.

Then #3525 went to Empire Coke, also in Alabama. in 1962. (Empire Coke bought the Coal Corporation I think...)

Then in 1967 #3525 went to Stone Mountain Railroad but didn't operate there.

Between 1967 and 1977#3525 went to Carter Cash Enterprises in Johnson City?

And then in 1977 she went to the museum in Spencer where she was cosmetically restored to appear as Southern Railway #1894.

Source of timeline - http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vownership.cfm?display=794
Photo of IC #3525 - https://www.deviantart.com/chandlertrainmaster1/art/Illinois-Central-3525-733974437

Photo of #3525 at DeBardeleben Coal https://hawkinsrails.net/industrials/dc/dc.htm

Photo of #3525 at Empire Coke Company https://tavm.omeka.net/items/show/325

Photo of #3525 as #1894 at Spencer http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1477953

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:18 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
What an interesting engine!

Then in 1967 #3525 went to Stone Mountain Railroad but didn't operate there.

per Ken Riddle, it did operate at least once at Stone Mountain. Turned over a few rails, and thus ended the operation pretty quickly. As far as I'm aware, that was the last time it was steamed.