It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A first restoration project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Some interesting facts about this engine...

In 1954 Southern Railway donated locomotive #542 to Tanglewood Park in Clemmons NC. The #542 is a 1903 Baldwin 2-8-0 built for the Southern.

The #542 was the last steam locomotive to operate at the Spencer Shops. Which is why....

I'd be very surprised if 542 was the last engine to operate at Spencer, and I'm not even sure there would be a way to prove that outside of some logbook that is probably long gone. That said, it was a Spencer-based engine, so no surprise that the museum wanted it. Great to see the engine being taken care of--far cry from the state of things in the 80s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 am 

Here’s where that info came from Kevin (link was in my original posting).

http://locomotive.wikia.com/wiki/Southern_Railway_No._542

Not sure how accurate that info is, no sources listed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 am 

Kevin Gilliam wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
What an interesting engine!

Then in 1967 #3525 went to Stone Mountain Railroad but didn't operate there.

per Ken Riddle, it did operate at least once at Stone Mountain. Turned over a few rails, and thus ended the operation pretty quickly. As far as I'm aware, that was the last time it was steamed.

Ah! Very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 am 

As of the mid 1980s at Spencer, the rear tube sheet was badly bowed forward into the water space. Story was at Stone Mountain she was converted to oil and test fired with tubes out and the heat made it sag...... never certain about believing that story. Why would Stone Mountain do something that dumb, or remove tubes and convert and test a locomotive they had no wish to operate for track condition reasons? Something doesn't add up here. Perhaps the truth has been lost in time.

Edit - old guy memory glitch. can't recall if the tubes were in at Spencer, in which case the test was made without water, not tubes, with the tubes pushed out into the smokebox at the front end...…. when you've been in a lot of these old boilers they start to run together in your mind.

Last edited by Dave on Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:30 pm 

Anyone know the story of what the engine did at Johnson City?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:48 pm 

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Tweetsie, why don't you get yourself over to the New Hope Valley Ry. in Bonsal, NC and help us get No. 17 back together? You could at this very moment be learning a heck of a lot.

Winner for best advice yet. The preservation community could also see this kid "in the flesh" to see if his abilities match his desire. I'll bet folks would give him a bit more latitude for daydreaming if he can actually do the job.

Go for it Tweetsie!

C.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:53 am 

OK, this is not going to be a fluffy fuzzy message that blows sunshine up your ... on the other hand I'm not going to tell you to give up.

Quote:
Alright Everyone, So I know in the past I've made some wild propositions...
I've decided to take a step back and look at something a bit more feasible...
Steam engine / I had the idea to restore it to operation as a first project...
I WOULD like to give it a cosmetic restoration at the very least.

Notice something that is the downfall of many. Look at all the "I"s. "I" this, "I" that. Doesn't work. You cannot succeed in preservation as a solo artist.

Especially not as a novice when you don't have a body of experience. For instance one fellow at WRM was a very significant fraction of the total effort to restore a PCC. But he had 40 years of experience doing that, and it was his fourth lead restoring a PCC.

If you are not able to pry yourself out of the "solo" mentality, get a speeder. An Onan. You have to be able to complete a project.

Quote:
I'd have to see when I have time though.

That'll get you too. If you want to get good enough at this field to even think about restoring a steam engine, it takes cubic hours. These days, especially if you're young and grow up with a smartphone embedded in your hand, you have to work harder than most to get out from behind the screen. However, skill at social media representation can help.

Quote:
Looking at trying to volunteer somewhere this summer to get some experience

That's a GREAT start. Prepare to spend 10-20 years climbing the ladder. If you're not that patient, well, then you *really* need to find the time to distinguish yourself. That's possible. I've seen very young preservations do spectacularly well, although they had a great deal of trouble on the "people" side of the equation. You can't develop core skills on everything at once, and the people skills are the most important.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:04 pm 

twofoot wrote:
Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Tweetsie, why don't you get yourself over to the New Hope Valley Ry. in Bonsal, NC and help us get No. 17 back together? You could at this very moment be learning a heck of a lot.

Winner for best advice yet. The preservation community could also see this kid "in the flesh" to see if his abilities match his desire. I'll bet folks would give him a bit more latitude for daydreaming if he can actually do the job.

Go for it Tweetsie!

C.

The only hinderance to that is time and transportation. I live in Winston-Salem, NC, can't drive yet, so I'd have to figure something in that regard. If something CAN be arranged however, I'd LOVE to help y'all out.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry