It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First Impressions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:04 pm 

[quote="Les Beckman"] I myself like a "before and after" approach, but still think a single photul[/b] project makes a better first impression. A good example is the 0-4-0T that you and your Dad changed into a presentable small museum type tender locomotive.
My 2 cents.

Such a conversion is by definition not preservation. A nice tank engine staying a nice tank engine but being restored thoughtfully to a chosen time period in its own history would be preservation. Nothing against creating something new using old parts or replication, but let's not lose track of the titular focus of this site.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
So, once again..........

........ we're apparently dealing with a recalcitrant owner that rebuffs all offers, from the serious to the frivolous, to take over an "albatross" or rectify the situation of a neglected asset whose value would rise immensely with the assistance or participation of others, in part because others in the field cause troubles in the past.............

Gee, where the heck have we heard this before???????

I mean, all we're missing is a completely unrealistic sky-high price tag, no???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:37 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I mean, all we're missing is a completely unrealistic sky-high price tag, no???

I'll offer up a sky high price tag if it will help clarify things...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:03 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
jayrod wrote:
I'll offer up a sky high price tag if it will help clarify things...

And completely in keeping with this theme as long as we're at it:

And then how do we know you're really the owner? Got a title or some paperwork or something? <:-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:50 pm 

Boy, I have seen RyPN threads go off on a tangent before, but I am not even sure what the heck is being talked about here anymore. Ross Rowland offered to kick in a few bucks to change the photo on the HOME page of RyPN, and instead we get discussion about Articles, Ownership, what is/isn't preservation, apparent nastiness and who knows what else?

Change the Home Page photo on RyPN....nothing more....nothing less. Yes? No? Let's get an answer to what was a simple question!

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:49 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Change the Home Page photo on RyPN....nothing more....nothing less. Yes? No? Let's get an answer to what was a simple question!

But making this demand (which is what this really is, not "asking a question") entails answering another question:

Who has the proper password/authority/privileges to do so?

The lack of an answer posted to that question raises another question:

Why has that person or those persons not spoken up so far?

We've had this discussion before, with just about the same identical (non)results.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8715959a-f ... Nu0XV.copy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm 

Since I am in frequent contact with a few of the people listed on the "contact" page, I tried using the RYPN links to contact them. At the same time I also wrote them each an e-mail, sent directly. The RYPN links did not work, probably the e-mail addresses have changed since the page was composed. They tell me the list on the page would have been current about 10 years ago.

And if there was anyone "at the controls" of RYPN you would expect that the names of people who have passed away in the years between then and now would not still be displayed.

PC