It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First Impressions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:25 am 

It could be used to spotlight a preservation project, maybe rotate quarterly and include an in-depth article.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am 

6-18003 wrote:
It could be used to spotlight a preservation project, maybe rotate quarterly and include an in-depth article.

And that would be a very nice feature if the problems of access to and editing of the articles section could be solved.

Unfortunately through the span of many years since the last article was posted, these problems remain, and may not be resolved until the site can be re-posted in a more user-friendly format.

Several other sites that I help to maintain for historical groups are editable with Dreamweaver software and it is no more difficult than working with Microsoft Word.

I hope that someday the problems can be solved, but as the years pass it looks less likely.

PC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 pm 

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/editPicture.aspx?id=5078043

Since Ross, brought up the topic, I'll post this photo....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:10 pm 

6-18003 wrote:

I am willing to write a monthly or quarterly preservation report; possibly similar to what Trains Magazine does weekly (except not in video format).

Changing gears, I often look at this site on my phone when I am away from my desktop. This site is not very mobile friendly at all. I understand that this is probably not an immediate issue, but it should be addressed in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:35 pm 

I don't know....... those of us whose interest in preservation isn't limited to rail and are old enough may remember the photo on the first edition of OLD HOUSE JOURNAL which became the trademark of sorts - an abandoned Victorian house out in the woods returning to the earth. It was evocative and motivational.

I'd have no pr0oblem seeing a changing array of interesting photos including before, after and even better many of the in-between sort with people doing interesting things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:56 am 

6-18003 wrote:

I am going to add this to my previous posting about articles to support the featured images:

It seems to me that the easiest way to correct the long time problems with articles access on RYPN might be to make a new articles page in suitable and supportable format that is simply linked to the existing menu block on RYPN. It does not require signing in to view the articles, so governing access to the page(s) is not a problem. The articles have always been viewable without signing in. Leave the old page if necessary, start a new one that is linked from the menu block.

With such a separate hosting of the articles, they can be posted in a software that is currently available and supportable so that one or more of the established members can access, post, and maintain the articles section.

In discussions I have had with those "in the know" about the articles pages problem, they have mentioned the access to the page for posting and editing, and obsolescence of the format as being a problem. So maybe linking to a separately posted section might be an improvement.

I offer this just as a suggestion.

PC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 am 

To add to PC's post, maybe articles can be posted using a content management system by the user i.e. Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc. You'd have to consider the pros & cons and the best way to set it up. Some hosting providers will install it for free into your web space.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 pm 

Should I give up trying to find a way ( moderator ? ) to get that awful photo on our front page upgraded. ??

I'll be glad to make a donation to cover the cost. There's limitless available photos showing "railway preservation" that are uplifting and inspirational.

Someone please help.

Thanks, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 pm 

That photo was taken soon after we received that locomotive in its dilapidated shape from the city of Brainerd, MN. My dad and I had just started working on it. We were so pleased to receive an actual Saint Paul & Duluth locomotive. The St. Paul and Duluth railroad is the main focus of our museum. My father (Richard Thompson) had had a history with that locomotive going back before it was even put into the park that was in all those years. That photo is an inspiration to me considering that it’s been five years this February 4 since I lost my dad and his Museum is still open.

Sincerely
Erik Thompson
Ironhorse Railroad Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
You know................

.......... we probably wouldn't be in this situation of an "abandoned" yet semi-functional website, running on now-archaic software that doesn't "play well" with some platforms, if someone hadn't threatened a lawsuit against the then-administration over some hurt feelings or whatever.......

If I were in charge (which I most certainly am not), I'd want something a lot more than a cash donation. (But, at the same time, the pics would have changed more often, so.....)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:20 am 

Ironhorse Railroad wrote:
That photo was taken soon after we received that locomotive in its dilapidated shape from the city of Brainerd, MN. My dad and I had just started working on it. We were so pleased to receive an actual Saint Paul & Duluth locomotive. The St. Paul and Duluth railroad is the main focus of our museum. My father (Richard Thompson) had had a history with that locomotive going back before it was even put into the park that was in all those years. That photo is an inspiration to me considering that it’s been five years this February 4 since I lost my dad and his Museum is still open.

Sincerely
Erik Thompson
Ironhorse Railroad Park

Erik - I don't think that anyone is criticizing your efforts on Northern Pacific # 927 (built as St. Paul & Duluth # 71), but rather that the "first impression" of the site is of an unfulfilled project. What Ross brought up is that the impression that a new reader should get of RyPN is of what a project CAN eventually look like. I myself like a "before and after" approach, but still think a single photo of a successful project makes a better first impression. A good example is the 0-4-0T that you and your Dad changed into a presentable small museum type tender locomotive. A photo of number 4 would be a good "lead in" for RyPN. Whatever we decide upon, I think the time has come for a new "lead in" for the site. Ross has even offered to help with some bucks for the photo change. For crying out loud....let's do it!

My 2 cents.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:41 am 

No disrespect to Erik, but I have to agree with Ross. Maybe something like this https://www.losttracksoftime.com/p47324941/hc18d496a#hc18d496a would be more appropriate. Maybe Mr. Malkiewicz and other talented photogs would grant permission for a small handful of pics for some image rotation - with an occasional fixer-upper or work session pic thrown in? And how about adding a simple sound loop to the main page for a little ambiance (if BB format can handle it)? I'm thinking just a panting air compressor maybe?

Isn't that more of a show of what it's all about? WE know the work it takes to get there, but the public (and those new to what we do) respond more to the smell of coal smoke, hot oil and clouds of steam around the great iron beast in its element. Seems like I'm getting dangerously close to repeating a previous thread....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:09 am 

Over on the NGDF, another platform that has not changed much from a tech stand point, they tend to rotate the photo at the bottom of the page. When they do so there tends to be a topic on the new photo with some discussion, although not always. Simply rotating the RyPN introductory photo would be nice. No need for endless debate, just do it on occasion.

I have noticed that some discussion that would have been on RyPN now seems to have moved over to the NGDF. Kelly’s updates are always a highlight with generally thoughtful discussion following. The discussion on the Porter 1203 was one of the more interesting recent NGDF discussions.

By contrast, RyPN discussion seems to have become more railfan focused with little technical or serious project discussion. Again, the best updates on projects are derived from facebook, but then you need to follow dozens of facebook pages to keep up. By contrast, the RyPN facebook page seems to have 1192 likes, which is not too shabby, yet I see no project updates since November 20th or so.

The RyPN topic on the “first electric locomotive” has a chance to redeem RyPN. The idea was brought up, some discussion has ensued, history brought forth, some ideas on ownership presented. Ok, how about an update on the idea of a group of people coming together to do something about it? What you find is that its a lack of people more than a lack of money that kills an idea. Who will lead the charge? Who will talk to the apparent owner? What has to be done to gain access and at least care for them? Same with the GG1s up in NY, even the Mid West Locomotive. Sometimes just showing that someone cares is enough to get some action moving on a wayward piece. Of course, key is not to eat the young. If a young person has an idea, let’s not mock them or shoot them down. Some RyPN posters seem to excel at such attack postings.

So, let’s change that photo to something more recent and then rotate it on some regular basis. Let’s look for those project updates, let’s ask how things are going with the NY state GG1s, the “first electric locomotives,” the Mid West locomotive, and other fledgling efforts.

J.R. May

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 am 

The real problem is that numerous, numerous, numerous offers and efforts have materialized and offered to the those that hold the keys to RYPN and there has been absolutely no progress in bringing RYPN Into the 21st Century. I had a new site built in 2014 for RYPN and...nothing ever came of it.

No movement, limited interest, little-to-no response.

It's clear from reading that others have offered similar help. It would be very easy to wrap the forums in a Wordpress site that's easily updated by a group of well-intentioned contributors.

I guess at least RYPN is helping preserve what's wrong in the industry as much as it may highlight what's right.

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:15 pm 

JR May wrote:
Of course, key is not to eat the young. If a young person has an idea, let’s not mock them or shoot them down. Some RyPN posters seem to excel at such attack postings.

Mr. May speaks the truth!

It is so disturbing to read such posts. The nerve of some people...
If we scare the younger generations away, who will we pass the torch to?