It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Southern Railway No. 1401 question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 pm 

It is possible for a locomotive to be assembled very quickly. In one timed assembly drill, the Pennsy took a brand new 4-4-2 from parts to completely assembled, painted and under steam in ninety some odd hours. I could probably find the source of that info, but I'd have to dig through my piles of books to find it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:49 pm 

Alan Walker wrote:
It is possible for a locomotive to be assembled very quickly. In one timed assembly drill, the Pennsy took a brand new 4-4-2 from parts to completely assembled, painted and under steam in ninety some odd hours. I could probably find the source of that info, but I'd have to dig through my piles of books to find it.

Stratford (London) works of the Great Eastern Railway managed an 0-6-0 tender loco in 9 hours 47 minutes.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GER_Class_Y14
Not painted in topcoat in that time, but went straight out to hauling trains in primer!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:44 pm 

70000 wrote:
Alan Walker wrote:

Stratford (London) works of the Great Eastern Railway managed an 0-6-0 tender loco in 9 hours 47 minutes.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GER_Class_Y14
Not painted in topcoat in that time, but went straight out to hauling trains in primer!

It seems that in the 1880s and 1890s, there was a bit of spirited competition amongst railroads to see who could do certain things the quickest in safe fashion-ie. complete a locomotive, replace a bridge, etc. During that period, the Pennsy also did a major bridge replacement in under twelve hours. They built two sets of additional bridge abutments-one on the north side of the bridge and one on the south side. They built the replacement span on the north abutments, including laying track. Once the last train passed, they cut the rails, jacked up the old bridge and used rollers to move it to the south abutments. Once the old bridge was removed, the new one was jacked up and rolled into place.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:22 pm 

Folks,
Even builder's plates can be used to give the wrong information. Ward Kimball and Gerald Best "restored" the Hawiian plantation locomotive "Cloe" in the 1950s with a plate that Gerry happened to have. It gives her date as Baldwin, 9-1883; but the proper date is Baldwin 3-1907, c/n 30340.

I have suggested to the narrow gauge people at Orange Empire Railway Museum, that they take off the incorrect builder's plate, until such time as they can cast a proper replica. I am sure they have a place for it, simply as an artifact. Especially, now that they are working on the locomotive.

Another builder's plate story that I like is about the Portland Company plate that is in the collection of the Phillips, Maine Historical Society. They loaned it to the WW&F Museum so they could make a builder's plate for their WW&F #9 which is Portland Company c/n 622.

The Western Railway Museum Archives just bought a Alco-Brooks plate in order to cast a builder's plate for the Western Pacific #94 which came to us without one. You can be sure we are going to check the numbers, to be sure they are transposed correctly.

I hope that collectors who own builders plates from existing locomotives give them to the museums; or else make them available for making replicas.

Ted Miles, Western Railway Museum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:21 pm 

ted66 wrote:
I have suggested to the narrow gauge people at Orange Empire Railway Museum, that they take off the incorrect builder's plate, until such time as they can cast a proper replica.
The fake plate has not been on the locomotive for several years.

The story I heard was that the plate that Ward mounted on the "Cleo" was not a reused plate but a new creation based upon one in G.M. Best collection. The two men found an 1880s locomotive with that wheel arrangement and used its construction number to cast the new plate.

By the way, I recall seeing a photo of the locomotive in Ward's back yard before the restyling to look like an 1880s locomotive. (This was in the "Interesting Railfan" series in the old Railroad Magazine.) The boiler was carrying a plate for the replacement Extra Order boiler.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:52 am 

The plate for Alaska Railroad #557 was last seen about 50 years ago. We used the best information we could find to make a replica in plastic on a 3d printer. A silicone mould was made from the plastic original, a wax pattern was made, and the new plate was investment cast in cast iron, the same material that the original was made from.

This is the plate just after casting and before all the investment was removed.

Attachments:
557 builder's plate reduced.jpg
557 builder's plate reduced.jpg [ 75.41 KiB | Viewed 6649 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 am 

Interesting topic! I'm trying to attempt to start up a Fire Up Campaign to bring 1401 out of the museum, and onto the grounds of the NCTM. However, I've hit me a roadblock, and I'm looking at alternatives.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:02 am 

Unless there is a serious attempt to restore it to operation with $$$$, NS agreement to operate, one of the major steam operators behind it AND an appropriate replacement, it should stay where it is though I'm not sure I like the partly hidden current display. Getting it out of a building that was somewhat built around it would be an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
I'm trying to attempt to start up a Fire Up Campaign to bring 1401 out of the museum, and onto the grounds of the NCTM. However, I've hit me a roadblock, and I'm looking at alternatives.

I'd say you should work with TVRM to turn the Pacific they have into a Southern engine. I expect that it's just waiting for a sponsor.

The Smithsonian's mission is to preserve artifacts as perfectly as possible for people 500 years from now. Running it now flies in the face of that basic mission.

Even if that weren't the case, research what had to be done to get #1401 into the building in the first place. Even if you did receive permission, moving it out of DC would cost millions before you ever started any restoration work.

Every year, I am thrilled to see steam locomotives being restored that I never imagined would see steam again, but it's safe to say that #1401 isn't going anywhere. Sorry to pop your bubble.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
However, I've hit me a roadblock...
Just one?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:32 pm 

For the cost of removing and restoring the 1401, you literally could probably build a new one with full roller bearings and all the bells and whistles etc- ala the UK tornado or the in- progress PRR t1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 pm 

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:
Just one?

Quite a few actually. I had initially planned to try and buy one of the surviving C&O Kahawas and trade it for the 1401, until I realized it wouldn't fit, and no amount of money is gonna persuade them either. Then, there's the question of “how will I get it out?” Any locomotive suggestions that could use a home like this?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:43 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:
I'm trying to attempt to start up a Fire Up Campaign to bring 1401 out of the museum, and onto the grounds of the NCTM. However, I've hit me a roadblock, and I'm looking at alternatives.

I'd say you should work with TVRM to turn the Pacific they have into a Southern engine. I expect that it's just waiting for a sponsor.

The Smithsonian's mission is to preserve artifacts as perfectly as possible for people 500 years from now. Running it now flies in the face of that basic mission.

Even if that weren't the case, research what had to be done to get #1401 into the building in the first place. Even if you did receive permission, moving it out of DC would cost millions before you ever started any restoration work.

Every year, I am thrilled to see steam locomotives being restored that I never imagined would see steam again, but it's safe to say that #1401 isn't going anywhere. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Fair Enough... There's a little 0-8-0 on display in a park near my hometown, and I'm wondering about the feasibility of getting THAT under steam.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 pm 

First, you have to create a business case that makes it worth steaming in terms of cost recovery during use, which means a place to use it a lot....... once you have that funding gets raised and the rest is just blacksmithing stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Steve DeGaetano wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:
Just one?

Quite a few actually. I had initially planned to try and buy one of the surviving C&O Kahawas and trade it for the 1401, until I realized it wouldn't fit, and no amount of money is gonna persuade them either. Then, there's the question of “how will I get it out?” Any locomotive suggestions that could use a home like this?

Listen kid,

You undoubtedly have some of the highest ambition and enthusiasm for anything steam locomotive related on this forum if not, the most vocal by far. By all means keep that enthusiasm bright as you get older.

Now, its time for a reality check...

You entered this forum with the far fetched idea of building a brand new N&W Y class simply because you wanted to. You were politely met with some criticism by well respected and experiences figures in this industry as to the challenges with pulling off such a task. So much, that it can be considered a practical impossibility most of the time without the proper resources. Rather than heed some of the advise given, you ignored them and went to suggest the idea of constructing a NYC Hudson. Again, simply because you wanted to and with no practical justification. Those same people who tried to politely advise you regarding the Y6 idea said once again of the impracticality of such an idea. You clearly had no interest in listening to those who have credible experience in what such an undertaking involves. As if that wasn't enough, you pulled the same stunt with the idea that YOU were going to lead a trust that would revive the ONLY remaining PRR M class in the world! Yet again, because you wanted to, as if that was all you needed. People began to wonder if you were a troll to which you took great offense. Most consider three strikes to be an out, but you chambered and fired out another outlandish claim that you are starting a "fire up 1401" campaign as it if was a certainty! Seriously kid, take a break. You need to do some growing up here. I realize modern parenting encourages kids' ambition no matter what it may be and to deliberately ignore the harsh realities that are THE REAL WORLD. Take this as a lesson. You don't simply get something just because you want it. You need to buckle down, get out there, learn it and earn it. That is not done via a computer in your parents basement.

Locomotive restoration takes decades of knowledge and cubic dollars to successfully achieve. That knowledge comes with time, dedication, blood, sweat and tears. The materials needed come a price and often aren't easily sourced. A place to run is extremely difficult to find, yet it is still a requirement. You have none of those. Simply saying you're starting a trust, a fire-up campaign or are "researching the possibility" doesn't mean jack squat. If you take the time to research all the successful restoration/new build campaigns out there, your eyes will gloss over with the sheer amount of legwork and time it takes to manage the campaign itself! Let alone anything mechanical.

Ambition is a drop in the bucket. Execution of the task and all that involves gets what your ambition desires. Learn that. Take some time to let all of this sink in. Lay off the Lucky Charms too.

Jeff