It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SPAM mail from rypn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:40 pm 

I received a long email about marketing and promotion at EBT, through RYPN.

I have nothing to do with EBT.

Post subject: Re: SPAM mail from rypn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:00 pm 

This could be the work of some malware bot out there that scours the internet for inactive emails. I've received emails from a "Sloan Auchincloss (spelling)", who I believe passed away, even though we never had a direct connection. I also used to get stuff from a friend who went off the grid, from his old AOL address.

And every day, I've won a Makita Drill, get solicited for Anderson windows, "Lendgo" and a bunch of idiotic things that are "partner" or "affiliate"..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:50 pm 

That is odd. Send me a PM with more info. if you would like. If there is a member who is spamming other members with unsolicited emails we can take care of that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:29 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
That is odd. Send me a PM with more info. if you would like. If there is a member who is spamming other members with unsolicited emails we can take care of that.

Rick, I honestly doubt that a member is doing that.

The problem is likely to be associated with the "Not secure" message on the left hand side of the URL bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:34 am 

The lack of https (the lack of the lock next to the address bar) on rypn is a problem, as something of a computer security expert, I can say that our logins can be compromised.

Of course, that's only one way of many ways they could be compromised!

I suppose it possible someone's account was hacked. But I think it's extremely unlikely a hacker would steal emails to advertise the EBT, LOL.

If the people in charge want any help getting on https let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:54 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Let's also examine one other thing:

A long, rambling e-mail about "EBT marketing" is FAR more specific that the exceedingly polite Nigerians wanting to "TRANSFER THE SUM OF $250MILLION U.S. DOLLARS" or the even more random:
"hi how are you doing today
click on the link below for something that will interest you"

IF someone actually IS creating fake/scam e-mails purporting to be from, and looking for all they world like they could be from, the EBT/EBT Foundation, certain forum members here should be immediately concerned..........

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:29 pm 

If you can look at the header, the originating IP address will be in there. You can then do a "whois" search to find out who that IP address belongs to. I use Microsoft Outlook - right click on the email, click on Message Options to view the header data. I use https://whois.domaintools.com/ whois to look up the IP address which will give info on the domain registration. Though, if the email came via a bulk email service, you'll get there whois info instead of the originating domain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:26 am 

I have been terrified for years that some of these scamsters will figure out how to target the 'preservation community' (it started in earnest when the Kalmbach people came out with their 'new' Internet marketing strategy circa 2018). Railroad collateral is just as easy to harvest as any other, and the (presumed) motivations and triggers for many in this community might not be hard to extrapolate or extract.

I would encourage RyPN to have its certificates brought current, and the defaults set to use https://, as quickly as humanly possible, even if it breaks my existing login.