It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huckleberry #152 return to service
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:02 pm 

3' gauge ex-Alaskan RR 4-6-0 #152 was reassembled in June and test fired on June 29, 2018. It then worked in rotation with #464,an ex-D&RGW K27, the rest of the season. The boiler was shipped to the Strasburg RR shop for extensive work as described in Mr. Kelly Anderson's posts of work being done at the shop. The frame was stripped to the cylinder saddle and two crossbearers. All other components were made new or rebuilt as necessary. Reassembly was completed about two weeks later than projected.

Total cost - $1.4 million

Alex Huff

Post subject: Re: Huckleberry #152 return to service
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:29 pm 

Pricey. Any pictures?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 pm 

Alex Huff wrote:
3' gauge ex-Alaskan RR 4-6-0 #152 was reassembled in June and test fired on June 29, 2018. It then worked in rotation with #464, an ex-D&RGW K27, the rest of the season. The boiler was shipped to the Strasburg RR shop for extensive work as described in Mr. Kelly Anderson's posts of work being done at the shop. The frame was stripped to the cylinder saddle and two crossbearers. All other components were made new or rebuilt as necessary. Reassembly was completed about two weeks later than projected.

Alex Huff

Alex - Good to hear that number 152 is back in service. I've been up to the Huckleberry a couple of times and have never had a chance to ride behind either 152 or 464. This past August, I planned my visit to ride between the two 3 day weekends of "Day Out With Thomas". BUT, they decided not to fire either steamer up for the days in between DOWT. That was certainly within their right to do, but a simple note in their schedule would have saved me a long ride up there and the disappointment. Oh well, maybe one day....!

Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:26 pm 

Not overly familiar with the "Huck" I googled the #152 to take a peek. Wow that is one very handsome little locomotive. For those interested here is a link I looked at. Congrats on her coming back on line. Regards, John.

http://www.alaskarails.org/pix/former-loco/GT-152.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:55 pm 

John Risley wrote:
Not overly familiar with the "Huck" I googled the #152 to take a peek. Wow that is one very handsome little locomotive. For those interested here is a link I looked at. Congrats on her coming back on line. Regards, John.

It looks much better now!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:21 pm 

Wow! That is one neat looking locomotive! What a great restoration, well worth the cost. Thanks for posting. Ned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:21 pm 

nedsn3 wrote:
Pricey. Any pictures?

Pricey compared to what? Ha.
What's the average cost of a locomotve these days? I don't think you can do it for under 1/2 a million can you?

And a question... Anyone know when the Drgw engine is scheduled to go down at the Huckleberry? Would be great to see them both in action at next years Railfan weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:13 pm 

Great to see #152 fully restored. I had a chance to get a cab ride in it as a professional courtesy in the Summer of 1978 when I was working on the Cedar Point Railroad. Sweet engine, perfect for that operation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:43 pm 

A beauty indeed, and in Baldwin green!!

She looks a lot like something from the Tweetsie; bet she's a standard or stock engine from BLW.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:00 am 

Article deleted. Right railroad, wrong locomotive.

Last edited by Dick_Morris on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 am 

This article is 14 years too early.

The #152, which was the locomotive I first learned to fire on and the first steam locomotive I ever operated, and in all probability the first real steam locomotive I ever saw up close (at about 3-4 years old), was built in June 1920 for the Alaska Engineering Commission and later spent not an insignificant portion of her life as "#2" (started under the ownership of the late Hal Wilmunder and continued until the summer of 2005 when she was repainted green & black and lettered U.S. 152).

Dick_Morris wrote:
I found this article while researching Alaskan steamboats several years ago. Fairbanks Evening News, 9-20-1906.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm 

Congrats for a job well done!

the Huckleberry Railroad has a significant collection of wooden passenger cars to go with their steam locomotives.

if you go do not forget to take a look at them.

Ted Miles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:23 pm 

Quote:
A beauty indeed, and in Baldwin green!!

I wouldn't call that Baldwin Green. There are notes about 152 being painted 'Army Green' and if you compare the new pics to decent pics of BLW126 at SHS, you can see that 152's green has a distinct brownish component to it - probably a simple modification of the Baldwin standard color.

Anyway, 152 looks great - one sharp looking teakettle. Great match to their passenger cars. That star nose-piece is something rare these days too. Only thing I'd change is maybe finding an 18" headlight reflector instead of necking down to 14", but I know how rare originals are.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm 

Sorry to ask an off-topic question, and I think it has been asked before but I can't find the thread, but this branch was standard gauge when abandoned (it was a Pere Marquette branch), but was rebuilt in the past few decades as narrow gauge. Why rebuild as narrow gauge when that will limit the equipment you can use? Not meant as a criticism, I am just wondering about the logic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:31 pm 

TrainDetainer wrote:
Only thing I'd change is maybe finding an 18" headlight reflector instead of necking down to 14", but I know how rare originals are.

Thanks a lot! I hadn't noticed that until now. Going forward, that's all I'll be able to see...