It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AC Locomotive Preservation and Evaluation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm 

While 2018 is winding down I wanted to take the chance to talk about new preservation opportunities in the year 2019. There are many fascinating projects in the works around this country that deserve recognition and your continued support. For a change however I would like to take the focus to a new project based on untested prospects.

There are currently a total number of 21 AC powered electric locomotives in the United States under varying conditions of preservation. In addition there are over a dozen ex-PRR and RDG multiple-unit coaches located at various museums in the northeast. Many years ago I spoke with members of the UK based AC Locomotive Group discussing the means of preserving and operating historic electric locomotives for main line operations.

Today I would like to ask our fellow members here on RPYN if they are willing to participate in a evaluation to study the possibilities of returning historic AC equipment to operation. This would come in the formulation of a national non profit dedicated to restoring and operating some of these historic artifacts on Class 1 trackage. I look forward gentlemen to hearing your feedback on this proposal.

Cameron

Post subject: Re: AC Locomotive Preservation and Evaluation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm 

I would certainly like to see the AC-12 on display at the California State Railroad Museum returned to operation, though I suspect that what you have in mind is something less spectacular.

Post subject: Re: AC Locomotive Preservation and Evaluation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:26 pm 

To operate AC electric locomotives, perhaps somebody needs to restore an EMD power generating boxcar.

PC