It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brother Robert L Thaine, locomotive engineer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:10 pm 

I can barely see to type this notice, but it is my duty to let you all know that we lost yet another irreplaceable member of our fraternity. Last Sunday Robert took his place aboard "The White Train", as we say in Mexico. I can tell you it's getting mighty damn lonesome for those of us still living around here.

I don't know of all the details of his railroad service, but I remember just last Fall, him telling me stories about hostling DL&W E units. I met him 40 years ago, when my (ex) wife was braking for D&RGW, and he was one of the few guys to behave towards her in a civilized manner. He ended his Class I career running for AMTRAK, but after retirement stayed involved with historic and 15" gauge railroading, as well as the Seashore Trolley Museum.

His Memorial Service will be at the Strasburg Community Church Next Saturday at 10am. Anybody needing further information or directions is welcome to call me at: (303) 822-8802

Sammy King

Post subject: Re: Brother Robert L Thaine, locomotive engineer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:07 pm 

Very sorry to learn of Rob Thain's passing. Though we have only seen one another once in the last 15 years or so, I knew him and his brother Bruce fairly well. I met both of them in the mid-1960's when I worked for Ed Blossom at the Magee Transportation Museum in Bloomsburg, Pa. Rob and we exchanged occasional notes and annual Christmas cards for many years. I can imagine that the death of his wife Joane, followed by the passing of Bruce earlier this year, were hard blows. Rest in peace, Rob.

Bruce and Rob were both long-time members at Branford, and they personally saved a number interesting cars from the South Brooklyn Railway.