It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: US Army S-160 #611
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 1999 2:45 am 

Just how many S-160s are actually overseas? Are they operating? I assume they were shipped during WWII?<p>Thanks,<br>Andrew<br>

sa750@boone.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 1999 10:27 am 

In the November update to "Surviving World Steam Locomotives, there are 40 S-160s identified to date, of which 9 are in North America. They are now found in every corner of the continent of Europe and Asia.<p>Their condition range from operational to badly derelict. Some of them (particularly the Chinese and Russian-owned engines) were modified extensively by their owners.<p>Many were built for use by the USATC during World War Two. However, some were built just after World War Two and were sent by the United Nations to countries in Eastern Europe and Asia. Yugoslavia even built copies of both S-160s and the USATC 0-6-0T through 1960; at least one such "S-160 clone" is known to exist in Serbia.<p>There were also several "S-160 knockoffs" built by the Montreal Locomotive Works that were sold to Belgium (the 29 class) and to China (KD6). One 29 class engine exists in Belgium; I am not sure if any of the Chinese engines still exist.<p>Some S-160s made their way to North Korea from Russia and to South Korea from the USA. So they actually served on both sides during the Korean War! Don Ross photographed several S-160s in China and also has them available on his website. The South Koreans did not care for the S-160s so they may not have survived; there may still be S-160s stored or dumped in North Korea.<p>The history of "war locomotive" designs built by the USA, UK, and Germany not only during but for years after the war would make for a very thick and very facinating book.<p>TVRM's S-160 #610 is currently pictured in the database. I have pictures of other S-160s in a collection I may add at a later date.

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 1999 1:28 pm 

James,<p>It is my understanding that the Chinese built many KD "replicas" during their production of steam. The KD's were much like most everything else protected by copywrite or patent that made its way to the far east.<p>Having never desired to travel that far beyond, if you know what I mean, I guess I will continue to enjoy the likes of TNVR #610 and our own USATC #5050 aka Georgia Power 0-6-0T #97 at SRM in Atlanta.<p>It is amazing how many of the USATC engines are still running.<p>Randy<br><br>

minterjr@mindspring.com